Search for content in message boards

newspaper extractions from northeast - just curious

newspaper extractions from northeast - just curious

Posted: 22 Mar 2013 6:56PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am keying the newspaper extractions and have come across a tragedy that has peaked my curiosity. An entire family, range from the father aged 55, to the youngest son aged 9, died in 1843 in Shelby, KY. After doing a little research (I couldn't imagine such an incident occurring in one family so I was curious as to what happened) I found that they passed away from "fever". I know that could be a number of things so I tried to find out if any epidemics occurred during 1843 in KY. I was unable to find anything but I could possibly be searching incorrectly. I did find the death location for the family as Selby, KS also so either one could be merely a typo. The family, at one source, is buried in New Jersey (which is probably why they are in these records). Any ideas on how I would research this to find out if there were epidemics in either KY or NJ in 1843 and what they would have been? It is so sad to see one person die much less an entire family.

Re: newspaper extractions from northeast - just curious

Posted: 22 Mar 2013 7:28PM GMT
Here is another family who all died from fever in 1843 in Shelby County, Kentucky, or is it the same family with their ages a year out? (This could easily happen if they have taken "in his ...th year" to mean age ...)
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&d...

It doesn't state what fever they died of, though.

Posted: 22 Mar 2013 7:59PM GMT
Here they are again, but still only says "fever".
http://www.kykinfolk.org/shelby/deaths/earlyshelbydeaths1842...

But did find this -
http://shelbycountyindiana.org/historical_articles/history_w...

where there is a reference to yellow fever in 1843.

Kerrie.

Posted: 22 Mar 2013 8:03PM GMT
I believe it to be the same family minus one child that our records show died at the same time. I was curious what the "fever" was that they died from but am having difficulty figuring out where to begin to find out.

Posted: 22 Mar 2013 8:16PM GMT
Is that the same Shelby County, Kerrie? It says Indiana on your second link, or did Shelby County move from one state to the other?

Posted: 22 Mar 2013 9:44PM GMT
Not being from US but found that in 23 Jun 1792 Shelby County, Kentucky was formed from Jefferson County. As Jefferson borders Indiana presume possible change of boundaries.

Maybe someone from there knows.

Kerrie.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions