Search for content in message boards

Danish Translation?

Danish Translation?

Posted: 22 May 2013 12:06PM GMT
Classification: Query
My Flemish great grandmother Henrietta (born in 1869)had these photos in her possession. Google translate Dutch couldn't help but a general search matched the words I could decipher as Danish (or maybe Norwegian?). Can anyone confirm this and translate the backs of these photos?

The people in the photos must have been relatives (possibly her brother and his family) as they were with all the other family photos from the era. The correspondence seems to have continued 18 years after she immigrated to America (based on 1928 being written in one of the entries). The family was in Flanders for centuries and has been traced...all except for one line.

Re: Danish Translation?

Posted: 22 May 2013 12:15PM GMT
Here is the image of the writing http://userdoc.ancestry.com/userdocstore/download.ashx?filei...

The message won't post with the file...

Posted: 22 May 2013 4:28PM GMT
Your link gave this answer

403 - Forbidden: Access is denied.
You do not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials that you supplied.

Posted: 22 May 2013 4:54PM GMT
Let me try the upload again then...
Attachments:

Posted: 23 May 2013 6:07AM GMT
Edited: 23 May 2013 7:58AM GMT
First of all, the text is Danish written as if the person is born and raised in denmark

1: Henning with his greatgrandmother, in her window you can see that she stil has interest in flowers

2:the Picture that you probably are most exited to see

3: here is Henning with his greatgrandmother. the Picture are from the summer of 1928 or 29, notice the flowers in her window

4:Kristian, Sofie and Krestine and your mother

5: me the day after i got fired as a soldier(kan also just be understod as ended military service)

hope you can use this
greetings Birthe

Posted: 23 May 2013 4:22PM GMT
That is very interesting. They are clearly family to have been in the album, but it is a puzzle. I don't know if anyone will be brave enough to tackle this one. I have one last photo but instead of scanning the back of it, my dad tried to copy the writing himself. He had to guess and this is what he sent me. I am wondering if someone who is familiar with the Danish language will be able to decipher this even though things are clearly misspelled/mis-transcribed.

It is a family group shot taken outside. 2, possibly 3 generations if the husband aged well and the wife didn't.

Burnimeades (Burhimeades?) unreadable (could it be a surname?)

Sofias alste Lou oy (ay?) Liu fauele unreadable moer det et veil vrive (urive?) Viudic(e?)u.

I know this is a tall order, and thanks to anyone who tries.

Posted: 23 May 2013 5:16PM GMT
I am Danish and i am sorry but i cant help you unless you get a scan or just send the letters you can read instead of gessing

Birthe

Posted: 23 May 2013 7:06PM GMT
Fair enough and thank you. I have asked them to scan the writing and when I have it will come back with the image. They aren't computer-y so it could be awhile.

It seems to again be something about mother (although the little old lady previously mentioned is absent in this photo) and maybe sister. There is a house in the background with curtained windows. I can see they are talking about a window as the word my dad has written as Viudicu is the same word for window on one of the photos you already translated.

Thanks again for your help.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions