Search for content in message boards

Mississippi Stewarts

Mississippi Stewarts

Posted: 23 Aug 2012 6:23PM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm looking for info on Wash/Walsh/Washington Stewart & Annette (Brown) Stewart. They are my great-great-grandparents. From what I know Wash was born in Alabama in abt 1850. Him and his family came as slaves from Alabama to Mississippi. The family's name was actually Walker. I don't know when or how exactly they were enslaved so I don't know how to find his parents' names. And whether they would be Walker on the Census.
I don't really know much about Annette except for the fact that she died when my great-grandmother was about 14 or 15. So she died around 1900-1905. If anybody has any info it would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

Re: Mississippi Stewarts

Posted: 25 Aug 2012 2:35AM GMT
Catherine, as hard as it is to trace a family tree under the best of circumstance I can only imagine how hard it is to trace a former slave. Where in Mississippi were your Stewarts? IMy Stuart/Stuart family was in Neshoba/Winston Counties, came from Alabama, and did own a few slaves. I know very little about the slaves or for that matter my GG-Grandfather's parents. There was a Walker family next door in Neshoba County. I do not know if they owned any slaves or not. I have limited info on other Stewarts in other parts of the state. You are welcome to what I may have that would be of help.
George

Posted: 25 Aug 2012 8:11PM GMT
Edited: 25 Aug 2012 8:13PM GMT
I don't know. I only found Wash on one census. The 1920. Some of his children were living in Hinds county in 1910 & afterwards. Where they were in Mississippi before that is a mystery.

ETA: I don't think him and his family were owned by people named Walker. I think they might have been Free people of color. But I really have no clue.

Posted: 19 Feb 2013 4:04AM GMT
Wow! There are some Stewarts in Bolivar county in Cleveland, Shelby, Mound Bayou Mississippi.

Posted: 20 Feb 2013 3:01PM GMT
I'll check out. Thank you.

Posted: 23 Jul 2013 11:48PM GMT
There are some Stewarts in Amite and Wilkinson County in Mississippi. I do not know if we are connected. My grandfather was Willie Stewart born in 1913. His father was Napoleon Stewart born in 1870 and mother was Millie Stewart born in 1881 in Amite County, Mississippi. This is all I know so far.

Posted: 28 Jul 2013 10:19PM GMT
Edited: 28 Jul 2013 10:19PM GMT
Catherine,
I'm researching the Stewart family from Woodville, Wilkinson, MS. My GrGrandfather was Douglas Stewart. I do not have any information about his parent/siblings. He was married to Amelia Richardson Stewart also from Woodville. Family in the Mississippi Delta (Cleveland,MS).

Gwen

Posted: 29 Jul 2013 3:22PM GMT
Edited: 29 Jul 2013 5:44PM GMT
Napoleon Stewart born around 1870 and his wife Milly Jackson Stewart was born around 1881 are both from Wilkinson County, MS. Napoleon's father was John Stewart and his wife was Lizzy (unknown). It is said that Napoleon traveled to the MS Delta frequently and possibly had children. The same thing has been said about his father John. I am still researching. John Stewart is believed to be form Wilkinson County too but I do not have a date of birth or death record on him.

I hope this helps. I have not found out Lizzie's maiden name or if Lizzy is short for something else yet.

Posted: 8 May 2014 4:26PM GMT
Hello Catherine. I bel ieve I am related to your Wash Stewart by marriage. Wash and Annettes son Pete's second wife was my Aunt Angie Stamps. Would like to connect with you .

Posted: 10 May 2014 8:05PM GMT
Edited: 10 May 2014 8:25PM GMT
Hiiiii! I would love to talk with you! Just send me a message & I'll send you my email. :)
ETA: I would send you one first, but I have a free account & ancestry won't let me.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions