Search for content in message boards

Issue with Web Search pane

Issue with Web Search pane

Posted: 19 Apr 2013 3:38PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 19 Apr 2013 3:49PM GMT
This problem just started this morning - worked fine yesterday. Running Win 8 with FTM 2012.

Normally when you have possible matches in the Web Search pane, one is highlighted and you can merge. Now I cannot highlight and the merge button is greyed out.

I can double click on a match and it will go to the appropriate Ancestry web page, but again, cannot merge.

(Update) just went to my Win 7 machine with a different database and it experienced the same problem.

Any thoughts? Steve Reed

Re: Issue with Web Search pane

Posted: 19 Apr 2013 3:53PM GMT
Same problem here on my Win7 desktop. Merge was working sometime after midnight but now it's not.

Posted: 19 Apr 2013 3:58PM GMT
Ok - then I am not crazy. May be issue with ancestry.com.

Posted: 19 Apr 2013 4:40PM GMT
Same problem for me on Windows 7 and FTM 2011. Everything was fine yesterday.

Posted: 19 Apr 2013 5:35PM GMT
Same here.

Posted: 19 Apr 2013 5:57PM GMT
I sent a message to FTM support this morning, but have not had a reply.

Steve

Posted: 19 Apr 2013 8:23PM GMT
Probably server issue again with the free international marriage searches until April 21. I don't mean that is what you are doing; but that all the people trying to search for free records are overloading the ancestry servers; which never seem ready for the big challenges.

Why April? You'd think it would be in February.

Posted: 19 Apr 2013 8:45PM GMT
I have encountered the same problem described below and spent considerable time this afternoon on the telephone with FTM Support.

This is currently (1532 CDT, 4/19/2013) categorized as a known problem that support is unable to duplicate.

Here is a list of things I have done (at Support's suggestions) that have not cleared the problem:
-verified the newest version of MSIE is installed
-cleared MSIE10 cookies, history et al
-removed all Java, re-installed Java version 7 update 21 (which Java first pushed to me on 4/18/2013)
-verified Norton Internet Security is up to date
-temporarily disabled the firewall and virus protection on my Norton Internet Security.

Just as Steve describes below, I am able to see the details of the potential match, but Merge remains grayed out and no data is pushed from Ancestry to the Search result detail frame on my FTM 2012 page.

As others on this thread have reported, this functionality worked normally for me less than 24 hours ago.

If you discover a fix or work-around please share it with me.
Thank you,
Andy Harner
andyharner@aol.com

Posted: 19 Apr 2013 10:01PM GMT
I have encountered the same problem. As of about 1am this morning is when it happened. Still no go.

Posted: 19 Apr 2013 10:10PM GMT
I am done with this issue for today and will share what I have learned from my time spent with FTM Support.

-this problem seems to only be affecting users of Norton security products.
-FTM suggests contacting Norton for further support.
-Ancestry hints in the "Source records" category are not successfully pushing "Search result detail" to me.
-Ancestry hints in the "Possible Tree Matches" category are successfully pushing "Search result detail" to me and the Merge option is available.
-On the results screen, the selected matches are not highlighted as they were yesterday.
-I only see the "Help with web search" splash screen on the first attempt at selecting a Possible Tree Match entry.

At this time, it appears merging is still functional for Family Trees but not for Source Records.
-Andy Harner
andyharner@aol.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions