Search for content in message boards

Not able to Merge Ancestry matched records to FTM2012

Not able to Merge Ancestry matched records to FTM2012

Posted: 20 Apr 2013 12:25AM GMT
Classification: Query
I have been using FTM2012 with Windows 8 since late last year.
In the last 24 hours, I have not been able to merge most Ancestry records into FTM2012, eg Birth, Death Marriage, Census records with not populate the Name, Date or Place fields and the Merge button is greyed out. However, if I select a matching person from a Public Member Tree the fields all populate and the merge is possible.
I have reported this to Support, and tried the suggestions sent in emails http://ancestry.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5251

http://ancestry.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1917

I then called Support again, and was asked to make further changes...in the end they suggested that Windows Defender was the cause, I tried various settings to allow FTM, this still did not work, and finally I disabled Windows Defender. Still the same problem.
I have uninstalled and reinstalled FTM2012.
I have also compacted my file.
Cache and cookies have been cleared on all browsers.
I normally use Google Chrome, but made Firefox the default browser, I do not have Internet Explorer installed. I do not have Norton.
I have also tried logging out of Ancestry from the Plan Tab, shutdown FTM and then logged back into FTM and Ancestry from the plan tab also closed Ancestry on the browser and logged back in.
Does anyone have any other suggestions to remedy this problem?

Re: Not able to Merge Ancestry matched records to FTM2012

Posted: 20 Apr 2013 12:56AM GMT
There's another active thread on this...you may want to repost there. :)

http://boards.ancestry.com/topics.software.famtreemaker/9649...

Posted: 20 Apr 2013 3:57AM GMT

Posted: 20 Apr 2013 3:56PM GMT
After I read everyone's post on this problem I followed some of your suggestions. First I uninstalled explore 10, which was automatically upgraded and was unaware I had 10, need to fix that. After restarting computer I opened Family Tree and it started to work but with a script error. I compacted both files that I have and tried again and happy to say it it working again. Hope this can help someone.

thanks for all your posts and suggestion.
Amelia

Posted: 20 Apr 2013 5:03PM GMT
IE 10 should NOT be a problem.
FTM does NOT use your default browser, but a older stripped version that is built into FTM.

IE 10 has many improvements and I would reinstall it as it also has many issues fixed that the older 8 and 9 have.

It even has a built in spell checker, which works real well.

Posted: 21 Apr 2013 2:59AM GMT
hmmmm, I have exactly the same problems as the last post. I called FTM and the gal said our developers' are working on the problem. Well, its been almost 48 hours and still can't merge individuals....except for the first individual I bring up when I boot up FTM...and then nothing. the merge area is greyed out. The public member trees, I think, work.
have been a member for 10 years now and if not fixed soon will let my membership expire and hopefully find something else.

Posted: 21 Apr 2013 8:11AM GMT
Having exactly same problem as everybody else. Someone on the other board suggested getting rid of Internet Explorer 10 (automatically rolls back to IE 9). Tried this and now the software works as normal. :)

Posted: 21 Apr 2013 9:12AM GMT
For those people rolling back from IE10 to IE9, are you using Windows 8 or Windows 7?

It is my understanding that Windows 8 is packaged with IE10 and cannot be rolled back to IE9.

I have searched for rollback procedures and none of the suggested methods work in Windows 8.

NB merely turning the Windows feature - IE10 off, and then trying to install IE9, does not work, the system response is that IE9 is already installed on the system.

If anyone knows of a way to rollback to IE9 for "Windows 8", please let me know?

Posted: 21 Apr 2013 2:51PM GMT
IE 10 does seem to have a component which is interfering with the merge functionality within FTM 2012. I uninstalled the IE 10 update and it corrected the problem. Obviously, the programmers either made an untested change not compatible with IE 10 or they are not keeping up with compatibility testing for most commonly used versions of internet browser updates. I suspect the first scenario as I'm pretty sure I didn't have the problem within the first couple days after updating to IE 10.

Posted: 21 Apr 2013 3:10PM GMT
I'm using Windows 7
per page

Find a board about a specific topic