Search for content in message boards

Native Americans in Wayne Co. KY

Native Americans in Wayne Co. KY

Posted: 14 Jan 2010 8:08PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 26 Jan 2010 10:56AM GMT
Surnames: Butler, Frazier
I have learned that a big part of Wayne Co. Ky. was indian land (cherokee) in the 1700's . Does anyone have any info at all on the cherokees who lived there? My GGG Grandfather was Simon Butler born ca 1776 , in 1840 he is listed in the census living with an older woman who is listed as white, Simon is always listed as a free colored man in the Wayne Co.Tax lists, I believe the woman in 1840 is his mother. His dau. states in her pension application that her father was a half cherokee. Looking for any info at all on Butlers who had indian relations. Simon eventually either married or cohabitated with Mary Polly Frazier , she is next door to him in 1840 with two children. Any help will be appreciated , contact via email fairhaze@att.net. Marilyn M Fair

Re: Native Americans in Wayne Co. KY

Posted: 16 Jan 2010 5:15PM GMT
Surnames: Gibson, Sizemore
I too am interested in Native Americans in Wayne Co Ky. I'm interested in Terrance Sizemore's daughter Rebecca Belle, who married William Ervan (Irvan?) Gibson in Wayne Co on 11 Sep 1846. She was said to be part Cherokee.

Posted: 16 Jan 2010 9:04PM GMT
Edited: 25 Jan 2010 10:21PM GMT
Thank you for your reply. From what I have learned over the past 35yrs of researching, that part of Ky. including Cumberland Co. ,Whitley Co. and part of Pulaski Co. was all cherokee territory before 1800 or so. Many people thought there were no native americans in Ky. but it has been proved there were and some just stayed there after Ky became a state , these indians did not walk the trail of tears many intermarried with the whites of the area . Keep in touch and we can share any new info we discover. M Fair fairhaze@att.net

Posted: 11 Aug 2010 1:53PM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Surnames: davis's and moore family
hi,yes u are sure right there are an still indian's there to this day,my granma fannie moore was full cherokee an im trying to find more about my family to,she lived in saltlick,ky. and had her kid's there,born an rised them there an so im trying to find out her address house address when she lived an died there but no luck yet.and i hope to find her tribe im just not sure were to start with that,but anyway's goodluck with your hunt.

Posted: 11 Aug 2010 4:03PM GMT
Surnames: butler, smith
Thank you Liz, and good luck to you too. Marilyn

Posted: 4 Sep 2010 9:58PM GMT
I have to smile at this post! The history of the cumberland was about daniel boone and others had fought with the indians as well as made peace with them in order to make the cumberland there home,Of course there where native americans in and around all of cumberland area! Its in the history books!

Side note,Wayne county was part of cumberland before it became a county or even established..

Posted: 4 Oct 2010 7:28PM GMT
a teacher in wayne co ky took it on herself to record all info on people & events in wayne co ky as she thought it might be lost forever, her name is june bork. ask the library to help you find the info. clark family also has info.in ky earleene

Posted: 4 Oct 2010 9:40PM GMT
thank you so much I am familiar with Ms. Bork's work and have read it all but no results for me.

Posted: 5 Oct 2010 3:18PM GMT
did you try the cherokee tribe headquarters? there is one in ok & nc.I have also been trying to make a connection to indian heritage, my g great grandmother was a daughter of sarah steel (born in wayne co 1811) father christian steel also from wayne co ky. she said she was 1/2 cherokee but I can't find a definite connection. she was from dade co ga . sarah steel's mother was elizabeth Blevins .who also married jacob troxell who was married to cornblossom daughter of chief doublehead. many of the people from wayne co migrated to dade co ga.as that was cherokee territory at the time.

Posted: 5 Oct 2010 5:15PM GMT
Surnames: Butler, Frazier, Smith, Lane
Hi Earleen, I have been researching for 35years and probably read just about all there is on Cherokees. The problem is that there isn't much info on the native americans who lived in the Cumberland Valley area, until recently historians did not even recognize that the areas of Wayne , Pulaski, Whitley counties KY and Scott Co. Tn were home to indians. Also , if the part indian of yours and my ancestry were males it makes it much more difficult or near impossible to trace their origin since native american genealogy is based on the mother's line. At least you have a name to work with "Cornblossom" you might get a little info from the book "History of the Cherokee Indians" by Emmett Starr. If you want to send me your info I will watch for info that could be related to you. Good Luck
per page

Find a board about a specific topic