Search for content in message boards

James Dow STEWART, b. at ?Durham, England, circa 1840, d. 26/08/1909 at Old Machar, Aberdeen

James Dow STEWART, b. at ?Durham, England, circa 1840, d. 26/08/1909 at Old Machar, Aberdeen

Posted: 19 Sep 2012 5:56PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 21 Nov 2012 4:14PM GMT
Surnames: STEWART, FAIRBROTHER, GRANT, Ewen, Ewan, Clyde
I am new to genealogy and have started tracing my grandmothers family line (STEWART). To date I have managed to find out some interesting information. However, I seem to now be stuck beyond belief. The people who are causing me grief are James Dow STEWART, b. at ?Durham, England, circa 1840, d. 26/08/1909 at Old Machar, Aberdeen. He was married to Ann EWEN or GRANT, b. at ?Montrose, Angus, circa 1845. Following their marriage I believe they had children by the name of Mary (b.1870), Alice (b.1872), John McLeod (b.1875), Richard (b.1878), Margaret Clyde (b.1881), Thomas Clyde (b.1883) and Ann (b.1886).

Ann EWEN or GRANT (daughter of Richard GRANT and Mary BEGG) previously married John EWEN/EWAN (nfd) on 31/12/1846 at Old Machar, Aberdeen. However, I believe he was killed during WW1 – he was a soldier in 78th Highlanders.

James Dow STEWART was the son of John McLeod STEWART (nfd) and Alice FAIRBROTHER (nfd). I am almost certain James Dow STEWART was not an only child.

The STEWARTS were generally all Carpet Weavers/Mill Workers and have heavy connections to Gordons Mills in Aberdeen having lived at Bush Cottage there.

Things I am looking to find out (not exhaustive);
• DOB/POB James Dow STEWART;
• Siblings of James Dow STEWART;
• DOB/POB/DOM/DOD John McLeod STEWART & Alice FAIRBROTHER.

I am by no means looking for people to do the research on my behalf – as little as hints would be ideal! I am using Scotlands People website as well as Ancestry (Premium); are there any others which I should be using? I am more than happy to do the work just don’t know if I am doing the right thing!

Thank you!

AES

Re: James Dow STEWART, b. at ?Durham, England, circa 1840, d. 26/08/1909 at Old Machar, Aberdeen

Posted: 19 Nov 2012 4:24PM GMT
Edited: 21 Nov 2012 4:14PM GMT
Surnames: Stewart
Good Afternoon.
A few years back I came across this message on genforum for a lady that is related to the same family.
I have attached the link below and hopefully you may be able to contact her.

http://genforum.genealogy.com/stewart/messages/14992.html

I have been around the grave yard in aberdeen and I may still have the details from the grave stone. If I do, i'll post it on this site for you.

Happy hunting

Sandy

Re: James Dow STEWART, b. at ?Durham, England, circa 1840, d. 26/08/1909 at Old Machar, Aberdeen

Posted: 20 Nov 2012 9:34AM GMT
Edited: 21 Nov 2012 4:15PM GMT
Surnames: stewart
I have had a look in my records and I have the following

St Machar Cemetery, Aberdeen

John Mcleod Stewart - died 29/10/1938 (63 years)
Jessie Campbell Wattie - died 16/3/1940 (63 years)

Children
Elizabeth Stewart - died 29/3/1916 (14 years)
John McLeod Stewart b 1907 in St Nicholas parish, aberdeen.

On deceased on line I found a Thomas Clyde Stewart Buried 10/11/1903 in Old Machar with 2 others in the same plot.

If you have a look on deceased on line you may find the rest of the family.

The gent who served in the 79th Highlanders, probably saw action in the Crimea and/or India during the 1850-1860's. You can get his records on the find my past website.

Hope this helps a bit

Sandy

Posted: 22 Nov 2012 4:34PM GMT
Sandy,

Thank you for the information - I have e-mailed the person who posted that on Genforum. Hopefully they would be able to get back to me with further information. I will hopefully get a few mintues to do some research into the cemeteries within the next day or two.

Once again, many thanks

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions