Search for content in message boards

Not able to merge

Not able to merge

Posted: 22 Apr 2013 4:03PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Jimbo
I have been using FTM2012 for ten months. All of a sudden I am unable to merge. Can not solve problem.

Re: Not able to merge

Posted: 22 Apr 2013 5:40PM GMT
Are you trying to merge a hint from Ancestry.com, or merge in a different tree through File>Merge?

What happens when you try to do a merge?

Basic troubleshooting to try for any glitch, reboot the computer first then compact your data file:

http://ftm.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4380

Posted: 22 Apr 2013 5:53PM GMT
I am trying to merge a hint into my family tree. When I search Ancestry.com and find a hint I want to include in my family tree I am not able to highlight the hint and merge. I have been told by others that is a problem with Internet Explorer 10 and Ancestry.com.

Posted: 22 Apr 2013 6:17PM GMT
I have been having the same problem for the past few days, it will only let me merge from other people's trees which is not what I want. Everything else has merge not available.
Most frustrating.

Posted: 22 Apr 2013 6:55PM GMT
I just got a new laptop with Windows 8 - worked fine and then upgraded to Internet Explorer 10 - now I can not merge other than trees.

Posted: 22 Apr 2013 7:45PM GMT
Windows 8 came with IE 10 so you have always been using IE 10 on this Windows 8 machine.

The last IE update was 9 April 2013
See https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/bulletin/ms13-0...
It was an update for IE 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10.

Now those that were running IE 9 on a Windows 7 machine then it was updated on or about 10 April 2013 to IE 10.

Then why did this problem not show up on or about the 10th?

Posted: 22 Apr 2013 7:52PM GMT
Good question. I am running Windows 7 Pro. This was the answer given to me by Ancestry.com support. They advised me they were working on it and would hopefully have a fix for it soon. I have my computer updating automatically and I would think that if the update came out the ninth of April then my system would have been updated before I begin to have the problem.

Posted: 22 Apr 2013 8:45PM GMT
I had the same problem starting on Friday 19 Apr 2013 and called them and I was told to update Java and compact my file. Then I called on Sat. 20 Apr 2013 because still I can't merge. Sunday 21st, still no change, finally they admitted it was on their end. I haven't called today, but if this keeps up, I am canceling my membership. This is ridiculous for the price we pay not to have full use of the site. I am fed up.

Posted: 22 Apr 2013 10:24PM GMT
When I set the machine up I did not accept IE as my default - I used Firefox instead and it worked fine - then I reinstalled and accepted IE 10 as the default - then my problems started.

Will have to wait until the fix as I cannot seem to get FTM to accept FF even though I have disabled IE10. Hope it is not too long.

Posted: 22 Apr 2013 10:55PM GMT
FTM uses IE internally, regardless of what browser you choose as your default browser for external websites. Inside of FTM, you are using IE. My understanding is that it uses a stripped down version of an old build of IE that is built in to the software.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic