Search for content in message boards

Finally thinking about uploading my tree & using sync

Finally thinking about uploading my tree & using sync

Posted: 27 Apr 2013 3:46AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 27 Apr 2013 3:50AM GMT
Been using FTM for about 20 yrs, but chose to wait awhile on Sync until the kinks were worked out...Ha! Now I think I want to do it, but I know my file of 39,500 people has some quirks.

Do I need to try to eliminate ALL the problems before trying to sync it OR does the process have its own system for trapping all or some some errors.

Guess I'm looking for a little advice here based upon the experience of the FTM old salts...Fix this, Don't worry about that etc.

Is there anything that will foul up the works? For example, I assume that non-standard places would be an item that could be corrected afterward from within FTM.

Anyone please?

Re: Finally thinking about uploading my tree & using sync

Posted: 27 Apr 2013 5:41AM GMT
Depends what kind of quirks. You must be able to compact. If anything prevents that you'd have to fix it. Place names don't seem to be a problem. My tree is just 6,000, so can't speak for your size tree.

Posted: 27 Apr 2013 12:49PM GMT
With a tree of that size, you might consider sync-ing without your added media first.

Places don't seem to be a problem. I have read that PDFs can sometimes be an issue for sync-ing the media - not all PDFS, but a possible corrupt file.

My tree is a little over 10,000, with a great deal of media, and I rarely have issues.

If Russ is around the board today, he usually has the best advice.

Good luck!

Posted: 27 Apr 2013 1:22PM GMT
If you do include media, be prepared to WAIT for it to complete. The initial SYNC will report complete before all the media actually uploads. Plan for a time when you can leave your connection open for an extended period.

I would also run the FTM error reports just to see what they say. Fixing some of the obvious stuff just makes sense.

Posted: 27 Apr 2013 3:58PM GMT
Edited: 27 Apr 2013 4:03PM GMT
I have 67,000 people in my file. I see people posting problems with sync on this board almost daily. Place names being replaced with completely different place names, etc, etc.

I am not prepared to subject my years worth of work to the disasters I have seen people posting here have had.

Although there are people who have had no problems with it, there are enough that have had problems to warn to take caution. Just look down the list of messages at headings to see the various messages of people with problems with it.

My suggestion is to not do it. If you have to have an on-line presence, upload it the "old" way (the share button in upper right of screen, check box NOT to sync), or upload a gedcom to WorldConnect.

Posted: 27 Apr 2013 6:44PM GMT
Thinking about this and the number of people in your tree; I did think of another question.
Do you do all your work in Family Tree Maker? If so doing what silverfox says is probably the best way to go.

You could try with a small tree and see how you like it. And of course keep backups. Always.

Posted: 29 Apr 2013 12:57AM GMT
If you decide to sync make sure you backup your file first.

Posted: 2 May 2013 8:49PM GMT
Decided to wait a while longer and/or go the route of Silverfox. I would like to see what Russ thinks too.

Posted: 7 May 2013 6:09PM GMT
I started a thread to collect tips for successful sync between Family Tree Maker and Ancestry.com. See http://boards.ancestry.com/topics.software.famtreemaker/9684...
I am finally able to sync consistently and successfully if I do it daily. Others have reported their best tips.

Barbara

Posted: 7 May 2013 7:01PM GMT
Happy to find the link to an earlier discussion on this matter. The advice given is exactly what I was looking for. However, given the number of people I have, I am still reluctant to go ahead with the 'sync' process at this time. I will work on my database and try to put it in proper order before I attempt any 'sync'ing.

I think I will split off a part of my tree and try it on a small scale before attempting anything huge like forty thousand people.

I do thank all those who replied in an effort to help me.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions