Search for content in message boards

Murders in Geneva County early 1880's

Murders in Geneva County early 1880's

Sallie (View posts)
Posted: 6 Feb 2006 1:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am looking for anyone who had a male family member murdered in or close to Geneva county Alabama in the early 1880's. Trying to find some answers to old family tales.

Re: Murders in Geneva County early 1880's

Posted: 20 Jul 2007 1:26AM GMT
Classification: Biography
Edited: 25 Dec 2008 9:23PM GMT
Surnames: JUSTICE, ELLIOTT
I have an anecdote regarding a member (or members) of the Mose JUSTICE family (Dale/Henry Co) who apparently killed a Negro man in Geneva County or the surrounding area. He was tried and convicted and served time for the murder when he was only in his 20s, and he may have been aided and abetted by an older brother. From other information I have gleaned with regard to this family - and after adding 2 and 2 and repeatedly coming up with 5 - I highly suspect it may have been a revenge killing, motivated by an "intolerable" (at that time) insult to the honor of a female family member. I have not been able to unearth any further details about the victim, but I was told that the sentence was served in the [Geneva] county jail, and that after "a couple of years" he was released. After that, he seems to have dropped out of sight. The name of the convicted killer was Henry ELLIOTT, son of Thomas or Tom ELLIOTT (a Georgia doctor), but he was being raised along with his older sister on the JUSTICE farm by their mother, Mary (who later married one of the JUSTICE sons). Don't know if this has any connection to your search but thought I'd offer it just in case. - E.

Posted: 24 Dec 2008 9:54PM GMT
hello!!! Do you have a Moses Justice in your line? My family has also heard this story! We wondered how the Elliotts fit in!?!?!?! thanks and Merry Christmas!!

http://www.trackingyourroots.com/data/nwspapr.htm

Mar 19 1892 d William WILLIAMS son of Robert WILLIAMS last Saturday was beaten with sticks while working in field at Pondtown, Geneve Co, by James JUSTICE and John ELLIOTT. A large group of citizens pursued and caught them on way to Chipley Fla; d James BARROW at Cohassett, Conecuch Co, Thursday

Posted: 26 Dec 2008 11:18AM GMT
Edited: 26 Dec 2008 1:10PM GMT
Surnames: JUSTICE
I sure do :) This Jim Justice who with Henry Elliott killed a black man in Geneva County was a son of Moses (also called Ras or Erasmus) Justice. The two of them did time in Geneva County for about a year, then Henry basically drops out of sight. But Jim heads back towards Georgia, stops in Phenix City AL (just by the GA line), where he somehow becomes the preacher at the First Baptist Church. He marries Sally and they have a son. In the meantime, Jim's getting itchy feet - something typical of the men in this Justice line, right up to the present day - and he deals with that by selling the pastorage (house next door to the church, belonging to the church, and occupied by whoever is currently the preacher) to an "out of town buyer" after which he packs up his little family and leaves town. I don't have any information about this Jim [note: another of Moses' sons was James Erasmus who married Mary (the mother of Cordelia and Henry Elliott from a previous relationship); the point here is that this James E. is NOT the Jim Justice who was involved in the killing] other than, I believe, some interesting notes on the son of Jim and Sally. Unfortunately I don't think I brought all my stacks of genealogical material (I've never actually gotten all my notes onto the computer, sigh) when I moved to Europe but I'll look around and see what I have. I had some of this stuff online somewhere at one point, but perhaps not in so much detail as it is in my notes, and probably not with full details on sources (most of whom have been family stories or conversations with actual family members). And of course the memory begins to be suspect when one starts getting o*d... ;)

Ah... and my Justice line comes through another of Moses J's sons, Brit(t) William. Which reminds me, family stories say that the black man killed by the Justice/Elliott brothers is the mulatto son of Moses Justice's unmarried sister, who is sometimes referred to as his wife since her name appears on the census in his household and their ages are more or less compatible. I'm having trouble recalling her name right now but it's not a very common name, however it's listed with Moses on the census if you're curious. :) Anyway some of the living family members as well as some family stories implied that the black man was Moses' illegitimate nephew and a huge insult to the family honor, and that that was the motive for the killing. I actually spent time in Geneva County talking to locals and such (my grandparents' farm was there so I've been in the area a lot) but the courthouse had burned (don't they all???) so I couldn't find any confirmation locally of the killing. I did eventually find the grave of Henry (John Henry?) Elliott's sister Cordelia Elliott Justice (another story, that "Justice" on her name) in north FL a few years back. What a treat. :) But there are too many gaps unfilled in the Moses line and it remains a nagging mystery... would love to have any information anyone might have on this line particularly from Moses on down. My line is basically as I remember it:

Moses/Ras/Erasmus
Brit(t) William
Jason Anthony
John Elbert

Note, however, that I'm writing from memory and it's possible I've skipped a generation up there... that much I should be able to confirm with a quick look around online. I do have extensive notes, not so much in the way of photos or certificates, but can still contact living family members to reconfirm info I'd collected before and maybe even get new details. The (inter)related families I researched are JUSTICE, ELLIOTT, AUSTIN. My older family members say we're kin to Charlie (Choo-Choo) Justice as well, but that could mean distant cousins from another branch (Moses had a lot of children, and they all had quite a few too... it's a pretty large descendancy network). Well, enough for now. Thanks for posting that reference, that HAS to be Jim and Henry! First independent confirmation of that family story I've actually ever seen! Thanks again!

Posted: 28 Dec 2008 5:30AM GMT
I am so excited to hear from you!!!! I mean seriously excited. We were trying to figure James Erasmus out!!!
We found a marriage for Moses and Lemuel Legina Hinsal (Lemegena?) in Wilkinson County, Georgia, 1824. We are trying to figure out if James Erasmus or Moses was the father of Henry Washington J ?!?!?!
Do you know about Moses trading Alabama land for Mississippi land?
I am in southwest Georgia and would love to meet and/or talk to your family, if ever possible. My dad is 78 years old and has two older sisters, so I am trying to find answers for them!?!?!?!
Do you know anyone from Cottondale, Fla? There are very few of them left....I met them last spring and they are precious. I will forward you a few photos they shared, if you like!?!?!! I hope to go back there next week.
Do you know Joan J form the west coast? She has quite a bit of info......
Looking forward to hearing from you again. We were beginning to think no one knew us!?!?!?!

Posted: 28 Dec 2008 10:13AM GMT
Surnames: JUSTICE
As I recall, I had Moses' wife name as Legina H. I know that I have Moses' children as well as the children of (at least some of) his children in my notes, and I think Henry Washington was a grandson of Moses rather than a son, but I'd have to check my notes to be sure. Members of this Justice line did migrate to NW Florida (Chipley, Red Hill?, Bonifay...) and my GGF Jase (Jason Anthony) Justice was buried down there, along with other members of the various related families. Joan J's husband is also of this line, through another of Moses' children, and she and I have traded info from time to time. The information she posted online is partially from my own research, and I think she credited that to me (K. Richards) on at least one site. I've not talked with her for a few years though so I don't know how to contact her, unless her AOL address is still valid? It was Joan who ended up finding the link to my GGF from the Moses Justice line (which I had been researching for a while without finding any mention of my "black sheep" Jase J. She was able to confirm that Jase was the son of one of Moses' children, thus for the first time I was able to track back in my family for more than 2 generations. Unfortunately I've not spent time investigating the generations before Moses, so there is still a lot I don't know. I have anecdotes from living family members (primarily the lines of James Erasmus, Brit William and Brady Justice) some of whom are in NW Fla, some in TX, and some still in south AL. Indeed it's exciting when those puzzle pieces fall into place!!! :) And yes, I'd love to see those photos!

Posted: 28 Dec 2008 8:37PM GMT
Edited: 29 Dec 2008 9:14PM GMT
I don't believe Moses and James Erasmus are the same because I have them both in the same household in the 1860 Geneva Co census.

Karen, my aol email address ia the same. I sent you an email to your old address. Contact me and we'll catch up.

Joan

Posted: 1 Jan 2009 1:44PM GMT
Edited: 3 Jan 2009 11:10PM GMT
Surnames: Justice
Happy New Year!!!! Can you tell me about Arsena/Arceny, Asbury/Asberry, Lemuel Legina..........So many questions!?!
What kind of farm did the Justices have? Are we related to the Aarons, Appletons, Eli and Dempsey Justices? thanks

Posted: 15 Feb 2009 2:38PM GMT
I am just reading your posts and saw that you are researching the Austin line too! I descend from Jackson Austin and Britannia Cook. Any relation?

Tonia Porter

Posted: 18 Mar 2009 3:11AM GMT
I wish I knew if there was a conncection. If Cordelia is the one listed in the house with James E. Justice and Mary, Geneva Co, ala....we probably are............
per page

Find a board about a specific topic