Search for content in message boards

family contacts in Norway

family contacts in Norway

Posted: 30 Nov 2012 9:36AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi, I have inherited, unfortunately only after my father died, a photo album of a holiday of my grandparents in Norway in the late 1940s/1950s. In it I am lead to believe that there is a close relationship between my grandparents and a norwegian family. I know that my grandfather spent a year in norway and sweden in the 1910s before the first world war. These pictures show 2 younger people in it and some older people. The names of places are given in the album as well as one name - Mrs Lowenhjelm and a first name Michael. One of the pictures is of a young man in ?merchant navy uniform, I think.

Is there any way of finding out who these people were/are and why there is such a close relationship to my grandparents.

Any ideas on how to progress.

Re: family contacts in Norway

Posted: 30 Nov 2012 2:32PM GMT
Edited: 30 Nov 2012 2:42PM GMT
A good idea would be to post all the place names and people's names. If someone recognizes a place name, they can look for the people in the 1910 census.

The only clue I can find right away is that there was a three year old boy named "Arne Løwenhjelm Grønn" buried in Halden, Østfold, on 8 Jan 1894.

The spelling "Løvenhjelm" appears a few times near Oslo, also.

Having a place name would be a big help.

Brian

Posted: 30 Nov 2012 7:36PM GMT
Many thanks. The album seems to have been given to my grandparents by some of the people in the pictures - I am lead to believe that my grandparents paid for the 2 younger people to travel with them. Different older people which seem to be close friends or business friends appear in many of the pictures as they go from place to place - my grandfather did business in steel and telecommunications. The 'holiday' has pictures of Stavanger, Bergen, the rail trip from Bergen to Oslo including a picture at Finse, Oslo and the tourist features, staying at the Hotel Bristol and it looks like they had a chauffeur whilst in Oslo.
The pictures are then from Sweden with a name Marianne Eriksson under one of them with pictures of more peopl and some sightseeing in Stockholm and then a picture with the name Mrs Lowenhjelm, and another car which seems to eb owned by the people they are with. The people in the pictures all look wel dressed.

Based on the info above, I ought to post on a Swedish-related site as well. I was wondering if it is worth posting any of the pictures to help solve the mystery. There seems to have been a business relationship between my grandfather and father and the company AB Ferrolegeringar (I have a slab of iron ore as a paperwieght with the name of the company, ensignia, my grandfather's name and the dates 1913-1963 on it) althgouh when I contacted them there were no records.

Many thanks for your help in trying to get a better understanding of the life of my grandparents and the people they knew.

It may be that the relationships here goes back throguh generations to the time when my grandfather and his brother spent 1 year in Scandinavia (?Sweden).

Not sure

Posted: 30 Nov 2012 7:39PM GMT
As my grandfather also dealt in telephone exchanges etc, I was wondering if the Eriksson had an relationship to the present day large cmpany of a similar name in Sweden.

Posted: 30 Nov 2012 7:41PM GMT
As my grandfather also dealt in telephone exchanges etc, I was wondering if the Eriksson had an relationship to the present day large cmpany of a similar name in Sweden.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions