Search for content in message boards

Bernard Cassidy son of Peter Cassidy - Erin County Minn

Bernard Cassidy son of Peter Cassidy - Erin County Minn

Mike Cassidy (View posts)
Posted: 6 Jul 2005 4:26AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Cassidy
Peter Cassidy (1840?) came to the US with his wife Mary first to Penn where he worked in the mines. Moved to ILL to fight in the Civil War then to Erin County Minn wher he lived until his death in 1898. His son Bernard (1851) moved to Stockton, Ca to become a court bailif then County Sheriff. I have his year of birth only. If anyone can help me find this information I would be appreciative.

Re: Bernard Cassidy son of Peter Cassidy - Erin County Minn

Posted: 23 Feb 2006 12:28AM GMT
I have been doing research on this Cassidy family. Where did you get the name Mary for Peter's wife? I was told it was Katherine Fee and that Peter came from Fermanagh. I have four different b dates for Peter: 1800 per History of San Joaquin Cty (died in 1898 at age 98); 1 May 1803 per cemetary record which says he d 11 May 1894; 1810 per 1880 census (age 70) and 1820 per 1870 census (age 50). Have found a lot of conflicting info! Where did you get the information about his moving to Illinois? There was a note in the cemetary record to the effect that he was a VET Co D 35th Ill Inf Vols Native Co Fermanagh, Ire. I wondered if this was the right Peter because I hadn't heard he was in Illlinois at all, but there as not another Peter in Rice County so assume that he is the right one. His son, Bernard, was b June 1851 in Fermanagh, came to Minnesota about 1866 (after his father), and later moved to Stockton, CA. He marr Mary Devereaux abt 1869 in MN. She was b in Wexford Co, Ire. and was the dau of Patrick Devereaux and Margaret Hoar. They had eight children that I know of, the first 2 were b in MN and the rest in CA. It has been a struggle trying to sort out dates, etc.. Do you have a copy of the page from the History of San Joaquin Co? If not I will send you one via e-mail. Also, if you want copies of the family group sheets I have for Peter, Bernard and his son Bernard, let me know and send me your snail mail address. Which one of the descendants of Bernard Cassidy b 1851 is your ancestors? Good luck with your research. Mary Laird

Mike Cassidy (View posts)
Posted: 24 Feb 2006 2:13AM GMT
You have discovered the same conflicts that I did. I thought I was doing something wrong or had the wrong person. What a small world.

I have that page from SJ County. Plus I did some research at the public lib. and found city directories back to 1870. What a find that was. I scanned all the paper copies so I can send you just about anything. Regarding Illnois this came from the civil war service record. And a funny thing the battle records said his company walked over 3200 miles. Now that would make him in the 60's so confusing it gets. Thanks for resoponding.

Michael Cassidy (View posts)
Posted: 29 Jun 2006 6:02AM GMT
I just read your posting. Both of us have reached the same confusing point. I'm still in a loss to figure out who is what. Very frustrating. I have census forms and other records and so many connections but I still am at a dead end. My search has ended on the beaches of the east coast. Frustrating.

Posted: 18 Jun 2012 8:28PM GMT
I too have been researching Peter Cassidy. But I am stuck here and can not seem to get my research past the east coast of the us. Peter would be my third great grandfather.

Please search for the San Joaquin county historical record of Bernard Cassidy who is his son. Some of the information in your post is included in this record but there is more.

We might be able to help each other or might had a historical connection

Thanks for the post

Michael B Cassidy
Stockton, CA
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions