Search for content in message boards

Bullion Family - Hawkins Co, TN

Bullion Family - Hawkins Co, TN

Posted: 11 Jan 2011 7:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bullion
My grandfather was Ballard Arthur Bullion, the son of Margaret Arteburn (1874-1958) and A. (Alfred) H. (Herman) Bullion (1882 - abt 1935). I am at a dead end on A. H. Bullion. In the 1930 Census (living in Kingsport) he is listed as being born in Tennessee with his father being born in England. A. H. also went by the name "Pet" from what I can tell and his marriage to Margaret Arteburn is under the name "Petibone" Bullion which I have yet to figure if that is just a nickname or something. My mother met her grandmother, Margaret Arteburn, so I know I have the correct data on this family. I can find no documentary evidence of this Bullion line before the marriage license granted in Rogersville in 1906 (available through Ancestry.com). This family also shows up in 1910 and 1930 census records.

Can anyone assist with the parents and siblings (if any) of A. H. "Pet" or "Petibone" Bullion from anywhere near Rogersville or the greater Kingsport area in Tennessee?

Re: Bullion Family - Hawkins Co, TN

Posted: 26 Jan 2011 12:35PM GMT
With the misspellings of many names, one census is popping up that is most likely your Herman Bullion.

1900 Weakley TN
BOLAM
Ethelbert A 45
Mary E 4--
Knox L 22
flay 20
Lena B 18
Herman 17
Katie 15
Birdie B 13
Mike D 9
Ella May 4

found the two census you posted.

also, I found one Eldridge Bullion of Kingsport TN
born 1897 who married Bertha Barnes.

then first name and the dates line up for Herman...
knowing that names were spelled as prounounced, finding many errors of spelling over the years of researching, as for now, I would say this 1900 census is your Herman.

Posted: 26 Jan 2011 1:07PM GMT
1870 Knoxville, Knox, TN
BULLIONS

Posted: 26 Jan 2011 1:09PM GMT
1870 Knoxville, Knox, TN
BULLIONS
Alfred 31 England. born 1839 occ: binder
this is found on page 33 line 23 ward 7
this could be the father of Alfred Herman?

Posted: 26 Jan 2011 7:43PM GMT
Thank you so much for the replies!! I have, over much time, looked very hard at several other families with similar names, Bolan, Bullen, etc., as I have suspected a spelling problem. On most of the census data that I have locked in on there seems to be a long history of illiteracy in the line so spelling would be completely up to the census taker.

I believe I have come across this same census entry before and I hesitated on it because it was in Weakley County about 400 miles west of Rogersville (marriage) and Kingsport (later residence).

There is a James Monroe Bullion in Kingsport born around 1860 that I suspect may be Alfred Herman's father. In one census, James M. lists place of birth as England and in that census or another one, he indicates his first marriage was when he was 19 years old. However, his marriage to his wife Victoria took place around 1892-4. James and Victoria had a very large family and also ended up in Kingsport by 1930. I think James is the best fit that I have found, but I cannot verify him as Alfred's father for certain, not can I find a marriage license of James to someone else prior to Victoria. I sure wish we had the 1890 census when Alfred would still have been young enough to be living with his father.

Posted: 26 Jan 2011 8:05PM GMT
Alfred Bullions 31 born in England living in Knoxville in 1870 could work. I can find that same entry on Ancestry.com though. I must have something entered incorrectly when I search for it.

I have heard two stories of the first Bullion that came to the US in my family. In both stories he came here from England.

Story 1 has this man as an illegal stowaway on a ship. As the story goes, he jumped ship when close to shore before pulling into port and swam ashore. I do not know if this man would be Alfred Herman or his father or maybe even grandfather. But Alfred Herman does list his father as having been born in England while listing himself as being born in Tennessee and his mother being born in Tennessee.

Story 2 has the first Bullion coming to America by himself leaving his family behind in England initially and later sending for them to come over. In this story, Mrs. Bullion and her twin sons leave England on a ship to join their husband/father in America. While enroute, the mother gets sick and dies on the ship. When the ship reaches America (port unknown) the father never shows up to pick up his sons. The twins are separated each going with a different family to parts unknown. As this story goes, the two twins never saw each other again.

It's very frustrating. As I mentioned, my mother's father was Ballard Arthur born around 1911, but he died of TB in 1935 when my mother was only a few months old. Supposedly, he died in a sanitarium near Lynchburg, VA. I do know that Ballard Arthur's mother was Margaret Arterburn and she was from Rogersville or at least Hawkins County and my mother visited her around 1950.

Posted: 26 Jan 2011 8:29PM GMT
run all what you just posted with names from the first on familysearch.org.

I know when I did just a blind check of tenn for Bullion, nothing was showing up much on the census... then I found bullions.. and Eldridge was the first on familysearch.org.. for I noticed the kingsport.
will see what can be dug up.

Posted: 26 Jan 2011 8:34PM GMT
Went to school with a guy with the last name auturburn.... differnt spelling ... but probably from the same vein.

Posted: 26 Jan 2011 8:53PM GMT
Looked around... finding family names lining up later on in life in STOKES NC
;yes, I know he said he was born in TN, but I have seen census where the state of birth is listed as the same state the census was taken.

found the 1910 wash tn census
with james and victoria and onward.

i iknow james says he was bornin 1860 tn.. but you may want to check the 1880 sullivan tn census
there is james m. at age 17 showing sob as NC
along with his sister julia m... both living with sister and brother in law samuel p. nelson and his wife, their older sister, susan age 34

finding a Bulion family in Stokes NC in 1880,,, william and mary....
possible connection, since james keeps saying he is born in nc....
getting myself all discombulated here... taking a time out.

Posted: 15 Mar 2011 10:20PM GMT
My grandfather's sister Sarah (Sallie) Smith married 1st to James Bullion from Sullivan Co, Tn. They had 3 children:
Ella or Ellen married Bud Christian
Becky married Buck McNalley
"Pet" Pettyhon as pet8ition married Sissy Arterburn.

Hope this helps.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions