Search for content in message boards

Jyri and Torgan

Jyri and Torgan

Posted: 30 Dec 2012 7:05PM GMT
Classification: Query
I came across the first names of 2 of my Norwegian 3x great grandmothers. * Jyri married Halvor Halvorsen. She lived and died in Norway, but their daughter, Bertha (born 1859) came to America in 1879. * Torgan (born 1832) came to America in 1840 and married Kittle Oleson some time before 1852. I am looking for the last names of Jyri and Torgan and I am hoping someone with access to Norwegian censuses can help. Thanks

Re: Jyri and Torgan

Posted: 30 Dec 2012 7:59PM GMT
Edited: 30 Dec 2012 8:07PM GMT
Everyone has free access to the Norwegian census records.

You don't give any places at all, so there is no place to start looking.

Off hand, I would say Jyri's last name was Tarjesdatter, but you need to post more info to have that confirmed.

http://digitalarkivet.no/cgi-win/WebCens.exe?slag=visbase&am...

------------------------------------

No, just checked. Jyri Tarjesdatter's husband was Halvor Kittelsen.

Do you have any further info you can post?

Posted: 30 Dec 2012 8:31PM GMT
My best guess is that both Jyri and Torgan came from somewhere in Telemark. Torgan was born in January 1832 if that helps at all. Torgan was only 8 when she came to America. She lived in Capron, Illinois when she got married and started her family. She may have been known as Torgena. My great grandmother's birth name was Torgena. Later shortened to Gina, but went by the name Mimi because she hated Gina (hard G).

Posted: 30 Dec 2012 8:32PM GMT
What is your source for the names? I have a feeling that the 1865 census that I posted is correct. I think this is the birth record for your Bertha:

Born 10 Nov 1857
Birthe
Father: Halvor Kittelsen Kjækhuusland
Mother: Jyri Tarjesdatter

Kildeinformasjon: Telemark fylke, Vinje, Ministerialbok nr. I 4 (1843-1869), Fødte og døpte 1858, side 85.
Permanent sidelenke: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=1422&i...

"Kjækhuusland" is a farm in Vinje parish, Telemark.

"Jyri" is a very uncommom name. This is the only married couple named Halvor / Jyri I could find.

Posted: 30 Dec 2012 8:35PM GMT
Berthe Halvorsdatter was a servant in Vinje in the 1875 census. I see that US census records say she arrived in the US in 1879. I'll see if I can find this Berthe leaving Norway.

Posted: 30 Dec 2012 8:39PM GMT
#14, right side

Leaving Vinje for America in June 1879 (attest dated 3 Jun 1879)

Maiden, Birthe Halvorsdatter, born 10 Nov 1857.

Kildeinformasjon: Telemark fylke, Vinje, Ministerialbok nr. I 5 (1870-1886), Inn- og utflyttede 1879, side 421.
Permanent sidelenke: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=4822&i...

This fits perfectly. I am sure this is your "Berthe".

Posted: 30 Dec 2012 8:39PM GMT
YES, this looks right. Thanks! When Bertha died in 1942, the Washington state death index listed "Jyri" as her mother's name.

There was an old note from my grandmother who believed Bertha's father's name to be Halvor Halverson, but she may have not taken the patronymic tradition into consideration.
She just knew Bertha's maiden name was Halverson.

Posted: 30 Dec 2012 8:44PM GMT
She left Kristiania (Oslo) on 13 Jun 1879. Her destination was Petterson, Minnesota:

http://digitalarkivet.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&am...

Posted: 30 Dec 2012 8:45PM GMT
It certainly does. Thanks for the help.

How common is the name Torgan or Torgena? Unfortunately I don't know the names of either of her parents. I suppose she should be somewhere in the 1850 US census, but I've been unsuccessful so far.

Posted: 30 Dec 2012 8:53PM GMT
Torgan/Torgine/etc seems to be quite rare also.... I'll take a look.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic