Search for content in message boards

Successful Sync Tips

Successful Sync Tips

Posted: 1 May 2013 11:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 23 May 2013 12:41AM GMT
I have had problems with the sync feather in FTM 2012 almost from the beginning. I used to try to sync once a week. Recently, I started running the Tree Sync every day that I make changes to my online tree and it has now synced SUCCESSFULLY 7 times in a row.
Other tips I have seen from various folks that worked for them:
- Compact the tree before syncing.
- Log out of the online Ancestry.com tree, or close the browser window for Ancestry.com.
- Turn off "cloud" programs, like Dropbox.

Since I starting syncing daily, my sync process is running very quickly (about 5 minutes). I keep a log of the before/after counts since October 2012 after there were problems with records being duplicated, so I have good tracking and I do check to make sure that my counts are correct and Sync report is reasonable before going forward with the sync.
If anyone else has good success tips to report, please share for those who are still struggling.

Barbara

Edit: 05/28/2013: I have now sync'd successfully 28 times in a row by doing it every day.

Re: Successful Sync Tips

Posted: 2 May 2013 1:38AM GMT
I would add, don't cancel a synch once it's started. I did that recently and wound up with a corrupt tree. Gah. Thank goodness backups.

Posted: 2 May 2013 2:50AM GMT
Sync data in only one direction at a time. If you modify the online tree, sync to FTM before changing ANYTHING in the FTM tree. If you modify the FTM tree at all, sync back to Ancestry before making ANY changes in the Ancestry tree.

Personally I do almost all tree changes in Ancestry, then sync to FTM. I then resolve places in FTM and sync those changes back to Ancestry. It doesn't matter which end you do your work on, as long as you have a consistent system.

Posted: 2 May 2013 9:53AM GMT
If you must stop a sync use Task Manager to stop it. This takes you back to before the sync started, rather than saving part and not saving part.
Compact before syncing. Set to sync manually. Save backups with different names so you don't overwrite ever.

Posted: 23 May 2013 3:55PM GMT
Barbara,

Thanks.

I do one way sync from FTM to AMT as not all FTM "structures" sync to AMT and I endeavour not to loose any info. And most support troubleshooting requests you unlink and reload.

Will use alerts to keep updated on further comments to this topic.

Larry
2013MY24 01:55 Sydney

Posted: 26 May 2013 1:30PM GMT
Is there a way to pin this thread to the top of this board? It would be good to have it accessible for new and old users. :)

Posted: 26 May 2013 3:38PM GMT
I have noticed that photographs etc. are copied after the main sync. Open the plan view after sync finishes and you will see a small bar showing the media upload. Don't close FTM until this finishes.

My other tip is create a backup immediately before synchronising, every time.

Posted: 8 Jul 2013 4:21PM GMT
Edited: 27 Sep 2013 9:33PM GMT
Here is a combined list of the Sync tips:

“Successful Sync Tips” ~ Family Tree Maker 2012
[Tips collected and edited from Ancestry.com message board http://boards.ancestry.com/topics.software.famtreemaker/9684...]
Several people have reported successfully using the TreeSync feature of Family Tree Maker by following some or all of these tips. Most highly recommended tips are flagged with (*).
1. (*) Sync at least every day that you make changes to either the online family tree or to Family Tree Maker (FTM). Sync in low volume even if it means syncing more than once a day. Don’t wait a week or weeks before syncing the Ancestry.com family tree to FTM.
2. (*) Don’t ever cancel a sync once it is started. If you have to close FTM before it finishes — if it hangs or for any other reason — use the Windows Task Manager to close it instead (Ctrl-Alt_Del keys). This takes you back to before the sync started, rather than saving part of the sync or not saving part of the sync.
3. (*) Set the sync option to Manual (not Automatic) to control the sync process yourself.
4. (*) Make your changes in FTM or Ancestry.com, then sync to the other one.
5. (*) Sync data in only one direction at a time. If you modify the online tree, sync to FTM before changing ANYTHING in the FTM tree. If you modify the FTM tree at all, sync back to Ancestry before making ANY changes in the Ancestry tree.
6. If you make almost all tree changes in Ancestry, then sync to FTM. Then, resolve places in FTM and sync those changes back to Ancestry. It doesn’t matter which one you do your primary work on, as long as you have a consistent system.
7. (*) Compact your FTM file regularly [Tools Menu, Compact file]. Some people recommend doing the Compact every time BEFORE they sync their trees.
8. (*) STOP the timer during the sync and look at the Sync Report before going forward. SAVE each sync report to PDF and check it to make sure that there is nothing unusual showing or any people that you did not make changes to. If there are anomalies on the report, close FTM using Windows Task Manager (not Cancel) and re-try the sync. Known sync issue: the media names are not attached to the right people; the name of one media item will be repeated for everyone who had any media changes (since the latest patch FTM version 21.0.0.723)
9. Create a backup immediately before synchronizing — every time.
10. Save backups with different names and never over-write — ever!
11. Media and photographs are copied after the main sync. Open the Plan View after sync finishes. There is a small bar showing the progress of media upload/download. Don't close FTM until the media finishes syncing.
12. Log out of Ancestry.com or close the browser window while syncing in FTM.
13. Turn off “cloud” or “connected” services such as Dropbox while syncing.
14. Keep track of your counts on Ancestry.com and Family Tree Maker and check them to make sure they are what they should be.
15. Add FTM.exe to your virus and/or firewall program's Exception List or White List. [added 9/27/2013]

Since using these tips, I went from trying to sync weekly, and then only being able to sync once or twice before having to re-download my entire tree — with resulting major frustrations — to successful syncs every single day taking 5 minutes or less. I also back up my tree to an external hard drive every day after I sync.

Posted: 8 Jul 2013 5:45PM GMT
Useful summary Barbara. This should give users the sense of risk to their data when sync'ing without these steps. I too have been a successful sync'er since stringently adding such pre and post steps.
Cheer,
Bo

Posted: 11 Jul 2013 11:18PM GMT
I've done all those thing many times without success. Barb, how many people are in your file. My 120,000 people does not sync. All of my 10,000 people files sync with no problem.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic