Search for content in message boards

Options for Accessing/Filing FTM Media?

Options for Accessing/Filing FTM Media?

Posted: 5 May 2013 10:52AM GMT
Classification: Query
Genealogical research will often reveal information, articles or photos located in say Newspapers or Biographical Registers etc.

This information is often accessible as either
1. a screen capture and then copied by means of jpeg, pdf or other files, or
2. copying the electronic link or hyperlink.....

and then pasting into the Media Workspace or Notes fields of FTM.

In instances where both options are available, which method for storage of research information is preferable?

I guess
1. Will always allow definite access to the information from within FTM over coming years, but will occupy larger disk space, whereas
2. Will probably allow accessibility to or reproduction of better quality images, text, etc but will only be accessible as long as the original repository exists. In the case of government or large national archiving institutions, records availability should be reliable over the very long term.

Are there other considerations from experienced FTM users?

David

Re: Options for Accessing/Filing FTM Media?

Posted: 5 May 2013 11:46AM GMT
Edited: 5 May 2013 1:46PM GMT
David,

I am not sure exactly what you are asking, but....

You have two way of adding supporting information into you database.

1) As media. This can be in the form of a picture, video, PDF, electronic document etc
2) As imbedded words, typed out using the source text field

You can also keep hyperlinks in your NOTEs and IIRC can use a FMT field to store the links as well.

However, I do not stop with keeping everything in the database. I always keep paper and electronic copies of the information in a file cabinet in my personal library. Fires happen, business fail, hyperlinks can change, governments can change, so I never depend on others to maintain copies of my found data. My personal library becomes a permanent backup of the database.

Posted: 5 May 2013 12:12PM GMT
When possible I always capture the document images into PDF files. I store these file in a primary folder called Genealogy. The primary folder has secondary folders for each of the 8 grandparents in my wife and my families. Each of grandparent folders are broken down to documents, census, pictures, burial (Tombstone pictures and cemetery maps),etc. They also have folders for the maternal families with a similar folders for the maternal family information.

When possible, if the site does no provide identification to the file, I will add the information as Comments in the PDF file, or if I can get it as a JPG will add the source information to the border of the image and then print it to a PDF from the image processing program.

When I connect them to my FTM file, I do it in their current locations, not importing them into the FTM system.
(I don't have to figure out where FTM put the image, and it is easier to find it in my folder system.)

I only used web links for temporary connections. I have been working at this for many years, and found the web links either die, or are changed over time andmthen your references become worthless. It does not make any difference if it is Ancestry, FamilySearch, or other, reference links change!

Having all of my data and references on my computer makes accessing the data easier and faster, as I am not dependent on quirks of the provider, web, and IPS connection. Also I am not distracted from my purpose by an new interesting hint or document.

Posted: 5 May 2013 12:54PM GMT
Interesting feedback.

kj_norway, what is IRRC?

keithnuttle, as a matter of interest, do you also capture document images for all census details as well?

Posted: 5 May 2013 1:23PM GMT
I capture all census images as PDF files. This gives me the ability to add notes to the census reports.

These comments may take different forms depending on what is needed. They vary from positional comments noting where the person is listed to explanation.

An example is my Knuttle family. In 1810 the family were living in Broome county NY, and after much work were found in the census. The Ancestry transcribers picked the name up as Thnuttle. I have added a comment to my copy of the census comparing the letters in Knuttle to other example of letters of other names on the same page.

NOTE: The Adobe Reader starting on version 10 added that ability to highlight and comment PDF files and resave the file with the comments and highlights. They can be removed or edited at a later date. So if your Adobe Reader does not have this ability you should upgrade.

Posted: 5 May 2013 1:45PM GMT
Edited: 5 May 2013 1:45PM GMT
Oops I meant to say IIRC (If I Recall Correctly)

Posted: 5 May 2013 1:55PM GMT
Speaking of maps. Remember to, when ever possible to look for and copy old maps that pertain to the area you are researching. Country boarders change, city names change and locations of farms and other things move or change. Old maps will help you to find things and resolve where a place is when it is no longer on a map today.

I keep these as images in both my home library and ties to the source in my database. I don't rely on google maps or bing to know where the real place is or that they will always be right.

Posted: 5 May 2013 5:24PM GMT
I frequently use Google maps to find places. Most of my research is in the areas that used to be the old (US) Northwest territories. While the grid surveying system established then, is still being used, it is sometime difficult to determine where places existed on new maps. By using Google Maps, current plat maps and the old plat maps, you can locate ancestor's farm precisely.

As a working tool I find the original locations as stated above, then mark it on the Google maps with the pins to know where my ancestors lived. The pin is identified with name and date. I also color code the pin to family.

This gives me all of the location for all time periods on one map. For short term (The life of Google) I periodically backup the files; myplaces.backup.kml and myplaces.kml. (PC: C:\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\Google\GoogleEarth) you can also move the pins to other computers by copying these files to the same folder on that computer.

For long term, I do a screen copy of the Google map and save it to the disk.

Posted: 5 May 2013 9:04PM GMT
Edited: 5 May 2013 9:09PM GMT
I usually grab a jpg or pdf by right-click - Save File as. I will save it in a personal set of genealogy folders in My Docs.

I will almost always attach that item as an image to a source. When I do that I will COPY (ie not LINK) the item into my FTM Media file.

The FTM media file then becomes a backup for my images. They are also much more easily findable as citation media, as you can find it by Person > Fact, Citation > Fact, or even the FTM filter at the bottom of the index. You can Copy a citation with media attached and then Paste-Link that citation to multiple facts without duplicating the image item.

Sometimes I may find a photo of a person, where I will copy (not link) the image into the FTM media file and attach it directly to the person. This is rare. Most media items are pdfs from books or docs or jpgs of books or docs.

I never link images from FTM to another place on my hard disk. I copy the image instead. You can move and delete files today, without remembering you linked to them from FTM five years ago, and not discover it till ten years from now. Also, any change in the directory path will destroy the link. If you COPY all images to your FTM Media Folder, they'll always be there. I do use LINK to link to a media item that is already in the FTM Media folder. But, again, that is rare.

I also often use *.txt files as media. This is where I've transcribed something (obituary, will) or have received an OCR conversion of a pdf document (after going over it with a fine tooth comb because of all the OCR mistakes). I prefer .txt files over Word docs. Less overhead, everybody can read a txt file, etc.

Posted: 6 May 2013 8:15AM GMT
Edited: 6 May 2013 8:16AM GMT
Thank you all for some important input, particularly the hints in relation to tracking maps and the need for backup copies of all Media.

Specifically, thankyou silverfox for your comments including the Copy not LINK suggestion and explanation, which I now practice based on an earlier post of yours.

Your reference to the FTM filter at the bottom of the index sounds like another helpful pointer. Does this refer to the Media Workspace or the People>Family>Filter tab at the bottom of the Index, and how is it to be used for finding media?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic