Search for content in message boards

Birth records found but need help telling where they were born at???

Birth records found but need help telling where they were born at???

Posted: 3 Feb 2013 11:27PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have traced the birth records of many family members online with arkivverket.no I am having difficulties with knowing exactly where they were born at. I am finding all the records in Skudene Parish Records in Rogaland County. However the farm names attached are of Langaker. So does that mean that the parents were born in Langaker? If thats the case why am I finding all the birth records in Skudenes Parish and not in Karmoy's parish? Is Karmoy even a parish? I am confused. Other family members that have research on this family have the family being in Langaker, Karmoy, Rogaland, Norway. Well I am finding all records in Skudenes Parish, so i need help figuring out where they were born at. For instance the first person is Hans Svenson Born April 7 1854, I have traced his birth record its located in Rogaland County, Skudene Parish, 1854 Birth Records Page 68 line 61. Please help me figure out where he was born at and what Karmoy is and Langaker, and why the records are all in the parish of Skudene...

Re: Birth records found but need help telling where they were born at???

Posted: 4 Feb 2013 12:26AM GMT
Edited: 4 Feb 2013 1:08AM GMT
Karmøy is an island. Skudenes was/is a parish which covered roughly the southern half of that island, with the little port city of Skudeneshavn on the southern most edge of the island. At some time periods Skudenes also contained sub-parishes known as Falnes and Ferkinstad so you might find records in those books too.
Langåker farm is on the west side of the island closer to the northern border of Skudenes with Åkra and Avaldsnes parish than to Skudeneshavn.

The governmental divisions are no longer necessarily identical with the church divisions -- so you must stay flexible. Old parish boundaries sometimes changed, and sometimes merged into others or separated out.

Posted: 4 Feb 2013 1:03AM GMT
Hi

Here are the pages from Karmøy bygdebok about the farm Langåker:

http://www.slektsforumkarmoy.no/b-bok/gnr25-Langaker.pdf

Vivi

Posted: 6 Feb 2013 5:11AM GMT
Thank you for the posts, I now have knowledge on where these places are located, and thanks Vivi for the great file you shared, it had my family on there. I was wondering if you could share what the place names off to the right of the peoples names mean? Is that where the people were living at the time?

Posted: 6 Feb 2013 8:51AM GMT
Hi

The places to the right are where they moved to.
Some has "Neste bruker" after their name. This means they took over the farm after their parents.

Vivi

Posted: 6 Feb 2013 11:54AM GMT
Most of those farms will be in the same parish or another nearby. The PDF file online for Langåker is only one of many the local history/genealogy group for that island has extracted and put online for anyone to use.
You can also use any of the other farms that have been completed and put online.

Go to the homepage for the group "Slektsforum Karmøy" at
http://www.slektsforumkarmoy.no/english/

From the left hand column choosing "County Books" will take you to the names of the farms and those for which compiled data are available online will be linked. I notice today they have continued to make great progress in adding additional information online.

Posted: 11 Mar 2013 6:05PM GMT
Found my father on the list shown here. Great grandfather was Ludvig Andreas Tomassen.,,My Dad,Tomas 1903 came to New York where I live now.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic