John Heal of Stonefarm/Bideford, Devon
I am looking for ancestors & descendents of John Heal that married Bettsy Evans (who was a daughter of William Evans & Mary Squires). John lived for 60 years at Stonefarm, 5 miles from Bideford, Devon. His son John succeeded to the farm, and the rest of his children emigrated.
Children of John & Bettsy were:
Mary that married a J. Andrews - emigrated to Australia
John, m. Mary Ann Fry & had 8 children
Jane, m. Henry Phillips (bro of Rose Phillips) & had 3 children
Elizabeth, m. William Heal (not a blood relation) & had 4 children
Henry, m. (1st) Rose Phillips (sis. of Henry Phillips) had 1 daughter Kate & M. (2nd) Mary Sussex, dau: Mary; emigrated to Nebraska.
Katherine, m. Edwin Moore; emigrated to Canada
Thomas John, b. Bideford, 6 Aug 1837 d. Elyria, Ohio 1903 m., Sarah Minerva Foster b. Elyria 11 July 1843 (my g.g. grandfather)
Margaret, m. Thomas Clark; lived in Beecher, Illinois
Re: John Heal of Stonefarm/Bideford, Devon
From census records, John Heal was born abt. 1790 in Peters Marland, Devon, England & died before the 1871 census & his wife, Bettsy Evans, was born abt. 1800 in Buckland Brewer, Devon, England.
Their children were:
1. Mary Heal (who married J. Andrews) was born abt. 1823 & emigrated to Australia.
2. John Heal, b. abt. 1824-25 in Buckland Brewer, Devon, England, married mary Ann Fry, b. abt. 1824 in East Putford, Devon, England. They had the following children: a. Elizabeth Jane Heal, b. abt. 1850 in Parkham, Devon, Eng.
b. Thomas Heal, b. abt. 1850 in Parkham, Devon, England
c. Mary Heal, b. abt. 1854 in Parkham, Devon, England
d. Katherine Heal, b. abt. 1857 in Alwington, Devon, Eng.
e. Betsy Ann Heal, b. abt. 1858 in Alwington, Devon, England
f. Margaret Julia Heal, b.abt. 1861 in Alwington, Devon, Eng
g. Annie Fry Heal, b. abt. 1864 in Parkham, Devon, England married ? Littlejohn (children: Edith, John, Arthur & Lucy)
h. Matilda Heal, b. abt. 1866 in Parkham, Devon, England
i. John Heal, b. abt. 1868 in Parkham, Devon, England
They also possibly had another son named John (not on the census records, probably died young). Margaret or John (or possibly both) married someone by the name of Turner & had a child (children) named Georgina &/or Georgianna.
3. Elizabeth Heal, b. abt. 1827, Married William Heal, emigrated to Canada & had children: Jennie, Tom, Julia & Mary.
4. Henry Heal, b. abt. 1830 in Buckland Brewer, Devon, England, married Rose or Rosa Phillips b.abt. 1834 & d. before 1871 census. They a child, Catherine b. abt. 1867. He then married Mary Sussex, b. abt. 1840 & they had the following children: John Heal, b.abt. 1873 in Hughish, Devon, England & Mary Heal, b. abt. 1880 in Hartland, Devon, England.
5. Jane Heal, b. abt. 1832-33 in Parkham, Devon, England married Henry Phillips - children: Elizabeth, Marion & Arthur.
6. Catherine Heal, b. abt. 1835 in Parkham, Devon, England
7. Thomas John Heal, b. 06 Aug 1837 in Bideford or Parkham, Devon, England d. 1930 in Elyria, Lorain, Ohio married Sarah Minerva Foster on 12 Sep 1868 in Elyria, Lorain, Ohio. She was b. 11 Jul 1843 in Elyria, Lorain Co., Ohio d. 11 Feb 1941 White Pigeon, St. Joseph, MI. They had the following children:
a. Marion G. Heal, b. 26 Jul 1871 d. 26 Sep 1890
b. Katherine Heal, b. 15 Oct 1873 d. 03 Jul 1946 who married George Ezra Lee b. 2 Apr 1869 & had the following children, Dorothy Lucille Lee, Nellie M. Lee, Charles F. Lee & Katherine Lee.
c. Harry John Heal, b. 16 Feb 1877 d. 12 Oct 1950 married Gertrude Anna Wendell, b. 09 Jul 1877 d. 21 Mar 1968 & had the following children: Harold DeForest Heal, Wendell T. Heal, Marion Elizabeth Heal & June Louise Heal.
d. Grace Diana Heal, b. 18 May 1881 d. Bef. 1950 married Ed Wragg & had the following children: Walter & Betty Wragg.
e. Clara Margaret Heal, b. 17 Jul 1885 d. 1972 married Irvin P. Wendell (brother to Getrude), b. 06 Mar 1882 d. 09 Feb 1960. They had the following children: Howard D. Wendell, Jack E. Wendell, Larry Wendell, David Wendell & Jo Ann Wendell.
8. Margaret Heal, b. abt. Abt. 1842 in Parkham, Devon, England married Thomas Clark. According to family history, they were the first people to bring Herford cattle to the United States.