Search for content in message boards

James Quigg [1823-1891] Buried in Nelson, BC

James Quigg [1823-1891] Buried in Nelson, BC

Posted: 3 Oct 2012 2:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
My ancestor, James Quigg died in Revelstoke. This is his obituary taken from the Daily Miner, Nelson, BC dtd Sat, 4/4/1891. "James Quigg, spoken of, is a native of Nackawick, York Co. On Tuesday afternoon last an old-timer, bruised and battered in struggling w/ the world crossed the dark river. James Quigg was born 68 yrs ago in York Co, NB, and passed his boyhood days amid backwood surroundings and scenes that left their impress on his character. Before leaving New Brunswick in 1854, he followed tow-boating and lumbering for a living, and is said to have been an expert river driver. In 1861 he was in Minnesota, and was at Red Wing during the Indian massacre. Fr Minnesota he drifted up the Red River Valley to Winnipeg, and from Winnipeg crossed the plains to BC. He was a well known character in Caribou, at Wild Horse Creek and in the Big Bend country, and followed the trade of packing. Of late years he has lived at Revelstoke and Nelson, coming to the latter place in 1889. While always willing to work, or lend a helping hand to those in distress, he was too old to labour continuously, and at the time of his death was possessed of no property of value. While at times crusty in disposition, the influence of good cheer always made him mellow and companionable. Then it was that he would relate thrilling stories of the perils of river driving. One of his favorite expressions in silencing a 'tenderfoot' being "Why, I have rode the dry side of a log in white water, when you wouldn't dare stand on the bank and throw rocks in the stream." On Wednesday, his remains were followed to their last resting place in the Nelson Cemetery by a large number of citizens."

This obituary seems to have been written by someone who knew James well and cared for him. I would assume grave markers in 1891 were made of wood. Does anyone know the 'shape' of the Nelson Cemetery today. Also, over the years I have found some cities that are creating biographies of the pioneers buried in their towns. Do you know if Nelson has done this?

Beverly Quigg Kirk bqkirk@hotmail.com

Re: James Quigg [1823-1891] Buried in Nelson, BC

Posted: 3 Oct 2012 6:12PM GMT
Surnames: QUIGG
Hi Beverly,
Just did a Google Search for Nelson Cemetery
http://www.nelson.ca/EN/main/residents/parks-cemetery/cemete... further information, contact the Caretaker (weekdays in the cemetery office), the Cemetery Records Clerk, or the Nelson City Hall.

There is Contact information for the City of Nelson - as well the Cemetery. They should be able to give you the site of the grave - and whether there is a marker etc
{perhaps there will be someone who will photograph same]
City of Nelson, The Cemetery, The Public Library or the Genealogical Society - should be able to advise if there is a book about the pioneers
http://kootenay-lake.ca/lakeside/Nelson/cemetery/
James Quigg Age:68 Event:Death
Place Revelstoke
Reg. Number:1891-09-900255 Copy Available
Date:1891 3 31 (Yr/Mo/Day)
Microfilm #:B13358 (GSU # 2050439)

Re: James Quigg [1823-1891] Buried in Nelson, BC

Posted: 5 Oct 2012 1:22PM GMT
Thanks for your help. I have emailed the caretaker and had already contacted the library. I enjoyed the site explaining the history of the cemetery. James must have been one of the 3 graves that were moved from Baker & Fall St to High St and then the current cemetery. Beverly
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions