Search for content in message boards

Church records a puzzle - need some help

Church records a puzzle - need some help

Posted: 13 Feb 2013 1:19AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Andersen, Olsen
I've found the 1858 baptism of my g-grandmother, Antonette Marie Andersen, but I can't understand all of it.

Source information: Oslo county, Garnisonsmenigheten, Parish register copy nr. 5 (1841-1860), Birth and baptism records 1858, page 452.
http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:NBN:no-a1450-kb20061009060464....
Entry 32

I see her parents names and they weren't married when she was baptised but there is more information I can't understand. Can someone translate the other inforamtion?

Antonette's confirmation in 1873 at Trefoldighet lists her parents as Jaeger Anders Andersen and her mother as Housekeeper Dorthea Olsen. However, I can't find a marriage registration for them in either parish between 1858 and 1873 and I can't find them in the 1865 census. I'm not sure where else to look. Can someone help me? Thank you!

Re: Church records a puzzle - need some help

Posted: 13 Feb 2013 3:55AM GMT
The writer on that page has a pattern of writing the position or occupation of each man before his actual name. Jager (actually looks more like jæger) will not be part of the father's name.

The translations of the column headings will probably help you a great deal.
Good information about translating the formats of Norwegian parish church records during various time periods, many of the basic terms used and understanding how to use the information should be studied at this web site -
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~norway/na20.html

Another helpful link -
http://home.online.no/~otjoerge/files/word.htm

Posted: 13 Feb 2013 4:08AM GMT
Thank you for the links. I've looked at these before and they are very helpful. I think you are correct on the occupation coming first. Anders has jaeger in front of his name in all the listings I've seen and there were lots of soldiers in this particular parish. It is the words after the parents names that I am trying to figure out to see if I can figure out where they are from or lived and also the words around the birth date. It looks like a correction of the birthdate.

Posted: 13 Feb 2013 4:27AM GMT
Source information: Oslo county, Garnisonsmenigheten, Parish register (official) nr. 9 (1842-1859), Birth and baptism records 1858, page 84.
http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:NBN:no-a1450-kb20060227060081....

I just realized that there are two parish registers and I meant to attach the official one. This has all the additional information that I can't read. Sorry for the confusion!

Posted: 13 Feb 2013 12:04PM GMT
She is by her father's statement born 21. March. (Signed by the priest 23. April 1875)

Pige Dorthea Olsen og Ungkarl Jæger Anders Andersen, Pigen tjener hos artillerist Olsen i Lille Vognmdg.
Girl Dorthea Olsen and bachelor Jæger Anders Andersen. the girl makes service for atillerist Olsen in Lille Vognmdg. (Lille Vognmandsgate, Street address)

Reported by married woman Olivia Rasmussen No 13 Lille Vognmdsgade.

Posted: 13 Feb 2013 1:00PM GMT
The official birth register says she was born on 13 April, but there is a question mark by the date and a comment about being born on 21 March.

The copy (your earlier post), lists the birth date of 21 March. I can't read the entire comment, but since the copy was made some time after the official record, the scribe apparently read the comment to mean that she was born on 21 March, not 13 April.

If you look for her church confirmation record (most children were confirmed about the age of 15), it will probably list her date of birth also.

Re: Antonette's confirmation record

Posted: 13 Feb 2013 1:27PM GMT
Antonette Marie Andersdatter's confirmation. Last entry.
Source information: Oslo county, Trefoldighet, Parish register (official) nr. II 2 (1871-1880), Confirmation records 1873, page 66.
http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=1063&i...

It appears her parents did marry after all (Anders Andersen and hustru/wife Dorthea Olsen).

Did Antonette have any siblings?

Posted: 13 Feb 2013 2:09PM GMT
The confirmation record shows yet another date of birth...... 2 Mar 1858!

Posted: 13 Feb 2013 3:28PM GMT
Thank you. The birthday is clear in the confirmation record and her parents are now married. Is it possible that a marriage wouldn't be recorded? I looked in both parishes and didn't see it and I couldn't find any siblings either.

Posted: 13 Feb 2013 4:55PM GMT
They could have been married in a different parish.

Have you found the family in the 1865 or 1875 census?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions