Search for content in message boards

Helga Tolefson of Telemark Norway. Adopted great great great grandson seeks answers.

Helga Tolefson of Telemark Norway. Adopted great great great grandson seeks answers.

Posted: 13 Feb 2013 11:16PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Tolefson Holmgreen
Helga Tolefson was born in Telemark Norway. She Married William Holmgreen, also of Norway. They have a son, Thomas Holmgreen, born around December 13, 1873. This is literally all the info I have. I am adopted, and am completely lost at this point. If any of you would be willing to help me out, that would be amazing. I will be eternally grateful.

Re: Helga Tolefson of Telemark Norway. Adopted great great great grandson seeks answers.

Posted: 14 Feb 2013 12:38AM GMT
Edited: 14 Feb 2013 2:04PM GMT
Chris

You don't state whether you were adopted into or from this family. I am assuming from. Is there any reason this family would not appreciate you finding information?

What is your source for the information you do have?

Check out the Squaw Creek Lutheran records:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&GSln=HO...;

Re: Helga Tolefson of Telemark Norway. Adopted great great great grandson seeks answers.

Posted: 14 Feb 2013 1:40AM GMT
Start by looking for Thomas Holmgreen. You didn't say if he was in the US or Norway.

I entered the name Thomas Holmgreen at the free databases of the website familysearch.org

It finds Thomas Holmgreen living with his parents in 1880 living in Jackson Co. Wisconsin with his parents. That census gives their ages and their birthplaces. Her name isn't given as Helga but that not surprising for a Norwegian emigrant. People adapted their names to suit the new location.

Try it -- you'll have more information to start the search with.

Posted: 14 Feb 2013 5:00PM GMT
I am adopted from this family. I can't think of any reason they would be opposed to me finding information. I received the information (just names/birthplace) from my adoption portfolio given to me by the government. Thanks for the response!

Posted: 14 Feb 2013 5:09PM GMT
Thanks for the response! I have very limited info on Thomas. I found a census record, but it puzzled me because Helga's name wasn't "Helga". But on another census I found, it was listed as Helga, but the last name was totally wrong.
I tried searching for the birthplace of Thomas, but I couldn't find anything because he was actually born in Norway. He and his family immigrated to the US date unknown. The birthplace is really important to me because there still might be relatives living over there. Thanks again for the response, and kinda clearing up the name-change thing.

Posted: 14 Feb 2013 5:32PM GMT
Are you sure your Thomas Holmgreen was born in Norway?

There is a World War One draft registration for "Thomas Freddemont Holmgreen", born 13 Dec 1873 in Wisconsin.

He married a woman named Eliza on 17 Nov 1897. Is this your line?

Posted: 14 Feb 2013 5:38PM GMT
Edited: 14 Feb 2013 6:24PM GMT
According to an online tree, William F. Holmgreen was born 28 Jan 1842 in Tromsø, Norway, and his wife, Helga Eriksen, was born 9 May 1854 in Telemark, Norway.

This tree shows Thomas Freddmont Holmgreen as their son.

This appears to be the correct family. Helga was born ca. 1854 - 1856. Since she arrived in the US in 1862 (according to the 1900 census), she must have arrived with her parents. I think her father was named either Tollef Eriksen or Erik Tollefsen.

Posted: 14 Feb 2013 6:25PM GMT
Chris

Contact this church. There may still be members of your birth family still attending this church.

Squaw Creek Lutheran Church
0 Ratings Be the first to review
Your Rating
(715) 284-5965

605 Monroe St, Black River Falls, WI 54615

Helge's birth record

Posted: 14 Feb 2013 6:34PM GMT
Edited: 14 Feb 2013 6:41PM GMT
Born 9 May 1854
Baptized 25 May 1854
Helge
Father: Tollef Eriksen
Mother: Margith Helliksdatter
Place of birth: the farm "Langkaas" in Nes parish, Sauherad, Telemark, Norway

Kildeinformasjon: Telemark fylke, Nes i Sauherad, Ministerialbok nr. II 1 (1851-1877), Fødte og døpte 1854, side 11.
Permanent sidelenke: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=5642&i...

Leaving the parish of Nes in Sauherad

Posted: 14 Feb 2013 6:39PM GMT
8 Apr 1861 (right page)

#19, Thollef Eriksen Langkaas, born 14 Oct 1804
#20, Marie, born 28 Jan 1837
#21, Liv, born 24 Aug 1844
#22, Hellik, born 9 Apr 1847
#23, Kari, born 27 Sep 1849
#24, Helge, born 9 May 1854

Apparently Thollef's wife was already dead.

Kildeinformasjon: Telemark fylke, Nes i Sauherad, Ministerialbok nr. II 1 (1851-1877), Inn- og utflyttede 1861, side 198.
Permanent sidelenke: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=5642&i...
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions