Search for content in message boards

Is there a way to check a FTM 2012 file for errors.

Is there a way to check a FTM 2012 file for errors.

Posted: 11 May 2013 7:39PM GMT
Classification: Query
Does FTM 2012 have any way of checking a file for errors?
Thanks
Kyla

Re: Is there a way to check a FTM 2012 file for errors.

Posted: 11 May 2013 8:01PM GMT
No. Assuming you mean database errors, and not errors such as "child birthdate before mother's birthdate"..

It would be wonderful if it did. You now have to export a gedcom and use some other program to check for database errors.

Posted: 11 May 2013 8:22PM GMT
Yes, I mean database errors or a corrupt file.
Version 16 has a way of checking for errors.
So, it sounds like we have no way of knowing if our 2012 file has become corrupt untils it shows up some way in the use of the file or like you say we export to gedcom.

Posted: 11 May 2013 9:03PM GMT
I believe that when you Compact the file the program is designed to fix any database errors.

So if you think there is a problem compact the file, a couple of times. This should correct all problem. Them make the Compact a routine part of your database maintenance.

PS:Make a back up first as the program is designed to do.

Posted: 11 May 2013 9:17PM GMT
That helps but doesn't really do the database check. It fixes pointers and that sort of thing; but if your database has an error such as your great grandmother on your mother's side ends up married to your great great uncle on your father's side; it doesn't fix that or even notice it. It should be basic that a database program has an error checker.
And yes, I had that error that I had to find by exporting to GEDCOM and importing into PAF.

Posted: 12 May 2013 12:10AM GMT
I would start with the Data Error Report which has many data error categories eg children out of birth order, mother less than 13 etc. See the attachment.

As with all FTM reports, you can run it for focus person/family, all individuals or selected individuals which brings in the FTM filter into play.

You aim should be zero data errors for all individuals in every category :-)

I would also have a look at these two articles in the FTM Knowledge Base

http://ftm.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4316/kw/data...

http://ftm.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1574/kw/data...

The Data Error Report is one of the gems in FTM both Windows and Mac. Use it often.

John D
Attachments:

Posted: 12 May 2013 3:02AM GMT
Thanks John D

Posted: 12 May 2013 3:03AM GMT
Thanks for the tips.
Kyla

Posted: 13 May 2013 4:38PM GMT
Unfortunately no. I've been through the same situation you seem to be having with corruption of the database file(apparently from compression that failed). Many people confuse the data entry errors for which you can check, vs. corruption of the database file. Those two topics are not the same.

As one individual wrote, I ended up having to re-import a FTM GEDCOM into another software to run database check, fixing 44 broken or bad linkages following the compression failures. At this point, I keep an FTM file for Ancestry searching, but keep my genealogy in a different software.

Posted: 14 May 2013 7:04AM GMT
Thanks for the post.
I did not know my file was corrupted until I tried to do an export with selected people in the file. Exporting to GEDCOM and then back in to FTM 16 was the only way I could clean up the file. I don't know for sure when the file became corrupted. I may have to look into using a different software.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic