Search for content in message boards

looking for my roots

looking for my roots

Posted: 10 Oct 2000 3:46PM GMT
Edited: 4 Apr 2002 3:08AM GMT
I am trying to put my family history together. My Father was military and moved us to Virginia in 1970. The rest of the family is in Nebr. Col. and Ks. My father says that my grandfather Victor J Potter was actually from Pa. I think grandpa had 13 brothers and sisters. I do not know them all. I do know Leola Priest (North Platte, Ne.) and there was Gram Faith. My Grandfather married Cleo Marna (cross or smith) of Souix Falls, SD. Her sister Nadine married Vernon Mients, he was the Mayor of McCook Ne. for quite a long time. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Potter History

Adelbert J. Potter (View posts)
Posted: 12 Oct 2000 9:07PM GMT
My line goes back to Rhode Island in the 1600s. I can't help you with your immediate line, but look in the white pages of the Phone book for Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (Mormons). They should have a geneology library near you where you may be able to get some help. (Some of them are very good, and some not so good. They're all volunteers and. . . .) They have access to census records ( microfilm) at a reasonable price and provide the readers to use it. They also have access to Social Security and vetrans information on CD and may be able to help you find your grandfather. The more you know about the people you're looking for, the easier it is to find them.

If you don't get any other help, e mail me at Clanpotter@aol.com and I'll see if I can find something more definate.

Dell

Potter families in America

Posted: 20 Oct 2000 1:27PM GMT
Edited: 12 Oct 2001 8:01PM GMT
I have a book (pub.1888) on the POTTER FAMILIES IN AMERICA. It was my gr-grandfathers (George Potter Darrow) His father was Edmund Darrow who married Elizabeth Potter in 1851. The book begins with Nathaniel Potter in England in 1600's. I can see if your roots are in this book if you like. My email is nbommer@resourcec.om
Regards, Nancy Bommer

Potter book

Dell Potter (View posts)
Posted: 20 Oct 2000 4:08PM GMT
Thanks- I have access to the book through the LDS Geneology library.

Unfortunately, there is a problem in that the book says my line comes through a brother that other sources say never married and had no children.

That is a hanging point for me right now- I've got to find out which source(s) are correct- if any.

Thanks again.

Dell

George Potter

Posted: 24 Oct 2000 4:10AM GMT
Edited: 21 Oct 2001 5:00AM GMT
Dell could you look in the Potter Book for a george Potter born in Flordon Norfolkabout 1827. He married Eliza, they had two siblings and are part of my family tree. I am looking to confirm their details.
Birth/Marriage/deaths etc.
Thank Frank

Potter Book

Dell Potter (View posts)
Posted: 24 Oct 2000 8:05AM GMT
Unfortunately, I am about 1100 miles from my geneology info.

The book is on microfilm and available at LDS (Mormon) geneology libraries. Look in the white pages for "Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints" Call on Wed night to find out where the local geneology library is.

Good Luck. (The book was published in the 1800s and may predate the time you're looking for- but I'm not sure of the dates.
Posted: 26 Oct 2000 4:33PM GMT
Edited: 28 May 2002 1:57AM GMT
Dell Could you please tell what Microfilm number this is or if I look in The Library Catalogy for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I haven't seen this book and am quite interested. Thanks

Potters

Barbara Dailey (View posts)
Posted: 2 Dec 2000 5:42PM GMT
My Great Great Grandfather was Jonathan Potter from Bristol, England
Do you have any information e-mail me at daileybae@cs.com

More specific please

Posted: 4 Dec 2000 6:03AM GMT
Edited: 12 Oct 2001 8:01PM GMT
I cannot do a lookup on a name alone (There a thousands in this book, I will need a location and a date if you have it) thanks,
Nancy Bommer

Jonathan Potter

Barbara Dailey (View posts)
Posted: 4 Dec 2000 8:49AM GMT
Jonathan Potter was born in Bristol England birth date unknown, he died Sept,19 1867 in Virgil New York he was married to Betsy Pierce (daughter on Natheniel Pierce and Nancy Harvey) she was born March 3 1814 and died Nov14, 1900 Any info would be appreciated Thanks Barbara
per page

Find a board about a specific topic