Search for content in message boards

Eugene MACARTHY - Another Connection to Blarney Castle!

Eugene MACARTHY - Another Connection to Blarney Castle!

Posted: 10 Oct 2004 7:55PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 25 Oct 2006 7:00PM GMT
Surnames: CHAMBERLAINE & MACARTHY
Good Afternoon Everyone.....

I know that there are troubles abound with tracing the MACARTHY name in Ireland, no matter what the spelling, as everyone seems to have at least one in their branches!!! However, I'm not one to be discouraged, so here goes.....

"Our" Eugene MACARTHY is thought to have been born c1787 in Co. Cork and is a descendent of the "Blarney Castle MACARTHY's". He was probably Roman Catholic and is believed to have attended the "Maynooth Seminary" to train for the priesthood. I also have a reference that he may have been sponsored by the Bishop of Co. Kerry??

His parents are believed to be "Dr. MACARTHY" of the Dublin Theatre and "Heloise MACARTHY" who is believed to have died in Tralee anywhere between 1810 and 1825. We have a reference to an 1824 newspaper article in "The Cork Morning Intelligenser" recording the "death at Tralee of Heloise Macarthy, wife of Dr. Macarthy of the Dublin Theatre"

We know of only one other child of Dr. MACARTHY & Heloise, her name was Agnes Jane. She later moved to London and married Louis Charles BURETTE in 1822

Eugene MACARTHY chose to leave the Seminary at some point to persue a career in acting. He started on stage at the Dublin Theatre as an actor/comedian/theatre manager and then later we have him mentioned in theatre playbills in London, Wales, Leeds and Newcastle-Upon-Tyne. He seems to have had a VERY distinguished career and is often mention as "the celebrated representative of Irish character"

Eugene MACARTHY also wrote and published in 1850, London "A Defence of Roman Catholicism" (Has anyone seen a copy of this pamphlet??)

His first marriage was to a "Miss ST CLAIR" daughter of "Colonel ST CLAIR" (sometimes SINCLAIR) also from Co. Cork. Miss ST CLAIR died c1820. We know of only two children from this union, a boy "E.T." MACARTHY and a girl named Maria MACARTHY born December 1812 in Enniskillen

Maria MACARTHY followed her father onto the stage and had what appears to be a very successful career as an actress. We have numerous newspaper articles and London playbills mentioning her by name. She married the very successful actor/theatre manager Robert HONNER in 1836 and then later Frederick MELLOR in 1860. She died in 1870 and is buried in West Norwood Cemetary, London

Eugene MACARTHY's second marriage was to Sarah Jane TURNBULL. She was born c1802 in Stockton-On-Tees, England and they married December 1824 in Tynemouth. They had a number of children including Sarah (Sally) Jane (c1826), Eloisa Catherine (1831), Agness Ann (1832), George Eugene (1836), Phillis May (1846) & Phillip M (1847)

George Eugene MACARTHY went on to own a shipyard in Newcastle-Upon-Tyne. Eloisa Catherine MACARTHY also followed her father onto the stage and had a pretty successful career. Phillip M. MACARTHY is believed to have sailed for Florida (Pensacola) sometime after 1861, possibly in the Navy

If there is anyone out there that has any information on this family, specifically their origins in Co. Cork we would love to hear from you. Also is anyone can recommend any reference materials or give us any pointers to help our research in Ireland we would be eternally grateful

Good luck with your own research

Very Warmest Regards
Claire

http://www.claireturner.com/Genealogy

Re: Eugene MACARTHY - Another Connection to Blarney Castle!

Posted: 21 Feb 2010 6:37PM GMT
Surnames: MacArthy
Eugene McArthy was my great great grandfather and Sarah Jane Turnbull my great great grandmother.
Their son George Eugene was my great grandfather. I have pictures of him. He was Mayor of Newcastle on Tyne.
He had 2 daughters, Maud & Florence and a son Leonard.
George Eugene's daughter Maud married Hugh MacColl in Newcastle-on-Tyne.
Hugh MacColl (known as Hugo because he lived in Spain) designed ship's boilers for the Spanish navy. When he came back from Spain he started a business in Newcastle- on-Tyne making ships boilers. They were special in some way - because I have been approached by maritime historians researching Hugo's life & work. I have photos of the factory.
Hugo & Maud's wedding was a big do in the town. I have a clipping from a newspaper about it.
Hugo & Maude had two sons
Hugh Geoffrey MacColl, my father,was a physicist worked for British Aluminium - involved in rolling aluminium to make Spitfires in the war. He was very keen on genealogies between 1933 & his death in 1947 & researched not only his own tree but also set up The MacColl Society.
James Eugene MacColl, was in local government, a JP, and Labour MP for Widnes in Lancashire for many years.
This is all out of the top of my head.
I have suitcases full of family papers in my loft - but little time at present to go looking. I will one day!
There are still jokes in my family about the 'blarney' connection.
Dax Wright

Posted: 14 Nov 2010 10:23PM GMT
Hi
Just a quick email as I have only just started my family tree.

Leonard Macarthy was my great grandfather, his daughter Mona was my grandmother, she had two sisters Dorothy and Edith.

Mona married Lt.William Cay Williams in 1918 in London (Marylebone) but divorced in 1923. Sadly William died in 1925 in a plane crash while training out of RAF Digby in a Bristol Fighter. Mona later married Alfred Maeder in 1932 in St Martin, London.

I've managed to trace back to Eugene Macarthy born in 1786 in Limerick and have sort of found his descendents but have a few discrepancies now after having read your posting. I think i am missing either a first or second marriage.

I've been trying to track down the shipping company in Newcastle and have so far come up with Clapham Shipping Company but not sure if this is accurate. I've also found some reference to ships which have reference to George Eugene Macarthy.

As i have said, it's early days but when the birth certificates come through i can clarify a lot and will update you if you are interested.

All the best
Carlene Leonard (nee Williams)

Posted: 14 Nov 2010 10:23PM GMT
Hi
Just a quick email as I have only just started my family tree.

Leonard Macarthy was my great grandfather, his daughter Mona was my grandmother, she had two sisters Dorothy and Edith.

Mona married Lt.William Cay Williams in 1918 in London (Marylebone) but divorced in 1923. Sadly William died in 1925 in a plane crash while training out of RAF Digby in a Bristol Fighter. Mona later married Alfred Maeder in 1932 in St Martin, London.

I've managed to trace back to Eugene Macarthy born in 1786 in Limerick and have sort of found his descendents but have a few discrepancies now after having read your posting. I think i am missing either a first or second marriage.

I've been trying to track down the shipping company in Newcastle and have so far come up with Clapham Shipping Company but not sure if this is accurate. I've also found some reference to ships which have reference to George Eugene Macarthy.

As i have said, it's early days but when the birth certificates come through i can clarify a lot and will update you if you are interested.

All the best
Carlene Leonard (nee Williams)

Hugh MacColl

Posted: 24 Oct 2012 8:10AM GMT
Surnames: MacColl
Hi Dax
My name is Grant Law and I am the City Registrar for Dundee City Council. a chap from Spain (Javier Terenti) had been in regular contact with me and our Archivist about some research he is conducting about Seville FC and there is a direct connection to your grandfather (see message below). His e-mail address is sfcbiris@gmail.com . My phone number is 01382 43523. Wuld you be willing to contact Javier or myself re this research? Thanks Grant
As I told you, we have recently discovered that Sevilla FC was founded in 1890 by a group of mainly Scottish men, being thus the oldest Spanish football club. Thanks to the information you sent me about our first president, Edward Farquharson Johnston, our research has advenced considerably. However, apart from what you sent me about our first captain, Hugh (Hugo) Maccoll, we know only a little bit about him.

I have found this link in which Dax Wright says that Hugh Maccoll was his grandfather and that he has a lot of information about him. However, I have not been able to contact Dax Wright, since I only have his/her name which perhaps is not his/her true name. It seems he has information and photos related to him and the company he founded in Sunderland together with Gilbert Reid Pollock (another Scottish founding member of our club). The company was Maccoll & Pollock. Please, I would need to contact this person, but it is very difficult for me to do it from here, since I do not know his/her true name, nor any other data. Please, could you help me?

Posted: 29 Dec 2012 4:00PM GMT
Hi Dax.
I was very interested when someone told me about this thread of correspondence. My interest is in the period when Hugo MacColl was in Spain. He worked for Portilla White and Co. and my relation was the White of this company partnership, who is my relation. I am writing a history of this company and those who worked for it. Isaiah White, one of the directors of the company had a son Isaias who was a close friend of Hugo and they started the Seville Football Club together. A friend of mine from Spain, Javier Terenti, is researching the history of the football club and so our paths cross quite a lot. Anything that your "suitcases full of family papers", if you still have them, can tell me about Hugo's time in Spain would be of tremendous interest. I would be quite prepared to come to you and have a look though myself if it would help. I do hope that you will feel able to respond to this plea for information. Please respond direct to my personal e-mail address ricval@tiscali.co.uk.
Valerie White

Posted: 29 Dec 2012 4:01PM GMT
Hi Dax.
I was very interested when someone told me about this thread of correspondence. My interest is in the period when Hugo MacColl was in Spain. He worked for Portilla White and Co. and my relation was the White of this company partnership, who is my relation. I am writing a history of this company and those who worked for it. Isaiah White, one of the directors of the company had a son Isaias who was a close friend of Hugo and they started the Seville Football Club together. A friend of mine from Spain, Javier Terenti, is researching the history of the football club and so our paths cross quite a lot. Anything that your "suitcases full of family papers", if you still have them, can tell me about Hugo's time in Spain would be of tremendous interest. I would be quite prepared to come to you and have a look though myself if it would help. I do hope that you will feel able to respond to this plea for information. Please respond direct to my personal e-mail address ricval@tiscali.co.uk.
Valerie White
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions