Search for content in message boards

Help identifying Kvinnherad, Hordaland, farm name

Help identifying Kvinnherad, Hordaland, farm name

Posted: 1 Mar 2013 7:18PM GMT
Classification: Query
I would appreciate help identifying and locating the farm name associated with the father, Hans Olsen, for the following NDA parish records. The place name is the same in all three. The parish register is from the Kvinnherad clerical district, Hordaland.

CHILD OLE:
http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=11552&...

CHILD ANNA (1st):

CHILD HELJE:

Re: Help identifying Kvinnherad, Hordaland, farm name

Posted: 1 Mar 2013 8:04PM GMT
It could be the name of a sub-farm. There were MANY of those in Kvinnherad.

Hans Olsen ends up on Omvik farm later, a second wife and even more children.

Posted: 1 Mar 2013 10:35PM GMT
What do you think that is spelled like?
My eyes are not good.
Give me your best interpretation of all three entries and I'll try something that I used several years ago when doing Kvinnherad research myself. I had a list of "Kvinnherad sub-farms" on an old laptop... maybe I can find it.

Posted: 2 Mar 2013 12:29AM GMT
Thank you for your replies. Part of my problem is that I have a difficut time converting the script to letters. The place name is not one I had seen before in my searches through the parish register. I have tried searching combinations of Stolagalde, Stolegalde, Skolagalde, Skolegolden, etc, on the Internet but can not come up with hints that appear in other online genealogy work. I have browsed through Havnelid’s Kvinnherad 3, but need to do that again. I will also do the same for Vaage’s Kvinnherad 2 and 4 volumes.

Posted: 2 Mar 2013 2:05AM GMT
Maybe "Skålagato"? That was a sub-farm under Skåla but I'm not sure it was around that early. Don't take that as a strong guess - but it's all I could come up with.
My old list was created by going through the books you've just mentioned page by page. Skåla is in book 3.

Posted: 2 Mar 2013 3:29AM GMT
I believe you have given me the right direction. That is likely the modern spelling of the name. The Skala farm location would mesh with nearby locations of farm names associated with baptismal sponsors of the three records indicated, plus those of later children.

I appreciate your thoughtful help.

Posted: 2 Mar 2013 9:50AM GMT

I read it as _Skoleholder_. Skoleholder was Hans profession ; teacher.

When Ole was christened I read:

Døbt Hans Olsen Skolho... og Mari Hel
jesdatter Skeies drengebarn N Ole

When Ole was christenes it is not easy to read _Skoleholder_ but when Anna was christened it is easy to read _Skoleholder_

When Ole was christened they seem to been living at Skeie; Mari Olsdatter Skeie.

Geir

Posted: 2 Mar 2013 12:45PM GMT
Edited: 2 Mar 2013 12:49PM GMT
I think the best way to determine the spelling of the farm name is to look for the confirmation records.

#4) Ole Hansen Skorteland (?)

Not too close, but maybe this is not the right Ole, or he has moved.

Kildeinformasjon: Hordaland fylke, Kvinnherad, Ministerialbok nr. A 4 (1778-1811), Kronologisk liste 1786, side 108.
Permanent sidelenke: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=11553&...

Re: Farm name

Posted: 2 Mar 2013 3:09PM GMT
Edited: 2 Mar 2013 3:34PM GMT
That confirmation record is for a different person. That is probably Odd Hansen Hjortland (converted to modern spellings) -- his sister, Henrica, is listed in the column just to the right.

Posted: 2 Mar 2013 3:33PM GMT
Geir, in baptism records I have researched before, I had not come across professional names following the patronymic name. I have seen titles, e.g., soldat, before names. Is the use of "skoleholder" here an unusual one?

I appreciate your reply.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions