Search for content in message boards

FTM2012 - Panes Disappearing under Red Cross - Bug Report

FTM2012 - Panes Disappearing under Red Cross - Bug Report

Posted: 14 May 2013 8:12PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: USMAR
Hello,

Does anyone know why we get a big red cross filling the far right pane? Please see attached.

I spent a long evening working on my tree only, only to be confronted with this. I rebooted... all now seems well!
Hope just I haven't lost anything!

Please can this be reported to the developers?

Many Thanks. James Usmar.
Attachments:

Re: FTM2012 - Panes Disappearing under Red Cross - Bug Report

Posted: 14 May 2013 9:02PM GMT
Edited: 15 May 2013 2:35AM GMT
This is a peer to peer support board

You can try:
http://ftm.custhelp.com/app/ask/session/L3RpbWUvMTM2ODU2NTI2...

Edit:
My point was that this is not the place to request something be forwarded to the developers, as this is a peer to peer support board.

Posted: 14 May 2013 11:33PM GMT
I've seen this a couple times during heavy use of the program or leaving the program running for a long period of time, read half a day or better. Seems to be a memory allocation problem, but a quick shut down and reboot the program clears it up with no side affects

Posted: 15 May 2013 1:58AM GMT
Previous poster is correct. It's a Windows sign that FTM 2012 has used up your available memory. Simply close and re-start. Or keep working and it'll close all by itself!

Posted: 15 May 2013 10:18AM GMT
I have this happen on a daily basis; it started for me in late Feb after a Windows update.

As best I can determine it is a memory leak issue as stated in another reply. Unfortunately for me either the red lines or a pop-up saying I've run out of memory displays after about 20 minutes of use. That makes it rather difficult to enter research data. Hopefully yours isn't that frequent.

I typically shut down FTM (or it shuts down for me if I don't immediately shut down upon one of the warnings) and restart the program after a short time. Then I have another approx. 20 min window of slow-going work time.

Sad to say it's typical of a program that is poorly written with useless product support.

Posted: 15 May 2013 3:29PM GMT
This does appear to be a memory problem.
This is telling me that you are using to large of media and should use lower a resolution of your images.

I use images that are up to 300 KB in size for use in FTM, Word PowerPoint and etc. This makes them much easier to manage.

If I need to produce a print larger than a 8 1/2 x 11, I will use the original file that I made the reduced copy from.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions