Search for content in message boards

Lookup on Digby & Finn

Lookup on Digby & Finn

Posted: 31 Mar 2008 8:03AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi can anyone look up any info on the following names please I know they all went to NZ.

Digby
John Digby died 1879 Ashburton Canterbury NZ
spouse Susanna nee Neville (neeed birth & death details)
children
Rowland Digby
born England
married 1881 Christchurch NZ
spouse Ellen Finn
were there any other children born to John & Susanna.

Luke Finn
spouse Catherine Maloney
died 1903 Christchurch NZ
children
Luke Finn
born 1858 Tasmania
James Finn
born 1854 Victoria
Francis Finn
born 1862 Tasmania
Ellen Finn
born 1860 Tasmania

Would like marrriages, spouse and children.

I would appreciate any help with tracing the Digby & Finn lines.

Cheers Marg

Re: Lookup on Digby & Finn

Posted: 31 Mar 2008 11:24AM GMT
Hi

DIGBY : John - can't see a burial at Ashburton or Christchurch (nor for Susanna DIGBY) ? Archives NZ (Christchurch office) have a probate record for a "John DIGBY - 1880" maybe "your man" ?

"Need birth details" ?? Does this relate to Susanna NEVILLE ?? (You say she, husband and son "went to NZ" ... so she seems NOT to have been born in NZ ??).

Possible other children of John and Susanna : Do you know when they arrived in NZ ? Presumably they settled in Canterbury area ? The Christchurch Library have a great card index system, mainly births, baptisms and marriages - there may be something recorded there for the DIGBY surname?
("Google" for Christchurch library details).

FINN : Again, no sign of burials (Christchurch) for the FINN names you have supplied. (That is NOT to say they are not buried in Canterbury - just that there are many smaller cemeteries whose records are not searchable online).

From the New Zealand Marriage Index :

No marriages for the names "Luke FINN" and "Francis FINN" :

>> James FINN - Mary CRANSTON - Year 1875 [FOlio # 2989]:

>> Ellen FINN - there is the marriage to "DIGBY" 1881:
ALSO an "Ellen FINN" married John Sherlock WHITE - 1888 [Folio # 1044] :

Lorrainz

Posted: 1 Apr 2008 5:45AM GMT
Hi
Thank you for the reply to my look up query on Digby & Finn lines.

Below is all I have on them. Hoping some one can help. I live in WA Aus and do not have access to NZ records.

Catherine Finn nee Maloney
died 1903 Christchurch NZ
children
James born 1854 Vic Aus
Luke born 1858 Tas Aus
Ellen born 1860 Tas - died 1954 Wanganui NZ- married 1881 Christchurch NZ - Rowland Digby
Francis born 1862 Tas Aus

Ellen Finn had a child Florence Agnes Finn Digby which may or may not be Rowland Digby's as she was born 1878 Christchurch NZ (would like to know if Rowland is the father)and Ellen & Rowland married in 1881.
Are there any children born to Rowland & Ellen Digby.

John Digby born 1811 Eng - died 1879 Ashburton Canterbury NZ - spouse Susanna Neville (no other details are known on her)

Florence Agnes Finn Digby born 1878 Christchurch NZ - died 1951 Wanganui NZ - married 1906 Wanganui NZ - spouse William Robert Mabey Ward
children
Norman Robert Ward born 1910
Eileen Violet Ward
Thelma Ward
Florence Ward
Olga Ward
William Ward
Joyce Ward.

Posted: 3 Apr 2008 12:37PM GMT
Hi
many thanks for your help.
Cheers marg

Posted: 5 Apr 2008 4:15AM GMT
Ashburton cemetery records

Cemetery Record Enquiry
Record no. A003679
Surname DIGBY
First Names JOHN
Cemetery ASHBURTON CEMETERY
Age at Time of Death 68 years
Date of Internment 20/02/1879
Purchaser Address 1 ASHBURTON
Name of Clergy Person REV J OLDRED
Note OCCUPIED
NO INTERNMENT WARRENT

Posted: 8 Jun 2014 11:54PM GMT
Rowland and Ellen Digby had only one child, Rowland Frederick who was born in 1882. There is no marriage or death record for him in NZ. However he was in Sydney when Rowland died suddenly of a heart attack at Munro St, Seatoun, Wellington, 24th May 1915.The Digbys are stated to have come to Lyttelton on the 'David Fleming', but the only sailing for that vessel that I can find [1862] does not include the family, [of which there were several] on the passenger list. Certainly Rowland was in Christchurch in 1866. He was in partnership with Charles Kiernan as a cabinetmaker and undertaker in Manchester St until he left the business, the partnership being dissolved 10th Dec 1881. There is quite a bit of information available on the descendants of Florence and William Ward

Posted: 9 Jun 2014 12:32AM GMT
I could add that the Sydney Morning Herald 9th Sept 1919 records that Rowland Frederick Digby, salesman of Paddington NSW, died intestate on or about 22nd June 1919
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions