Search for content in message boards

Norris Family from Somerset UK.

Norris Family from Somerset UK.

Pearl Taylor (View posts)
Posted: 24 Nov 2000 5:58AM GMT
I am searching for Norris family members from Somerset, England. If you have any Norris's from that area, I would love to hear from you.
Thank you.
Pearl

Norris family in Somerset

Byron Behm (View posts)
Posted: 4 Dec 2000 10:00AM GMT
Hello Pearl,

My grandfather, Arthur Norris and three of his older brothers and a sister came to the US from Somerset around 1910. Their father was named Samuel and mother was Euphemia. If this is of any help let me know.Catcott was one of the towns they lived in.My mother has much more information if you are interested.

Sincerely,
Byron Behm

Norris Family from Somerset UK

Pearl Taylor (View posts)
Posted: 4 Dec 2000 10:37AM GMT
Hi Byron.
Thank you for writting. Do you have Arthurs parents name so I can see if a sibbling in one of the familys match up.
Thanks.
Pearl

Norris Family in Somerset

Byron Behm (View posts)
Posted: 4 Dec 2000 12:44PM GMT
Hi Pearl,

My grandfather Arthur Norris was born in Somersetshire in 1895. His mother and father were Euphemia and Samuel Norris. The family lived in more than one town in Somerset. I remember my grandfather talking about Catcott. In the early part of the Twentieth Century he and his brothers Ernest, Clifford, Victor and a sister Bessie came to the US and settled in the Potter County area of South Dakota where they all farmed.Two older brothers died prior to that time. Lewis while serving with the British Merchant Marine in Argentina and Richard in combat in the Boer War in South Africa. As I mentioned in my earlier posting, my mother has some more information that goes back beyond Samuel Norris.

Regards,
Byron

Norris family in Somerset

Sally Beynon (View posts)
Posted: 9 Dec 2000 10:20AM GMT
Dear Pearl Behm
My gr gr grandfather, William Norris was born in Catcott about 1808. He married Jane Atwell Coleman from Pawlett. They moved to Huntspill where they farmed. They had 10 children, William, Thomas Floyd, Mary Ann Coleman, (Willian Coleman, John, 2 called John Coleman all died very young), Ellen Jane, Elizabeth F, and James A. My gr grandfather, Thomas Floyd Norris married Fanny Merchant Govett and they lived in Highbridge and Burnham. They had 8 chidren, William Floyd, Gilbert Floyd, Govett Floyd, Ernest Floyd, Cecil Floyd, (Thomas, Thomas Floyd and Mary Dorothy died young). I have not been able to trace my gr gr grandfather any further back. I hope that this will help you. I would be grateful for any information about the Catcott Norris family. Sally

Norris from Catcott, Somerset

Sally (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jan 2001 4:02AM GMT
Byron, From your messages on the Notice Board I understand that your Norris ancesters came from Catcott in Somerset. So were mine. My gr gr grandfather, William Norris was born in Catcott about 1808. He married Jane Atwell Coleman from Pawlett. They moved to Huntspill where they farmed. They had 10 children, William, Thomas Floyd, Mary Ann Coleman, (Willian Coleman, John, 2 called John Coleman all died very young), Ellen Jane, Elizabeth F, and James A. My gr grandfather, Thomas Floyd Norris married Fanny Merchant Govett and they lived in Highbridge and Burnham. They had 8 chidren, William Floyd, Gilbert Floyd, Govett Floyd, Ernest Floyd, Cecil Floyd, (Thomas, Thomas Floyd and Mary Dorothy died young). I have not been able to trace my gr gr grandfather any further back. I hope that this will help you. I would be grateful for any information about the Catcott Norris family. Sally

Norris in Somerset

Posted: 11 Feb 2001 9:57AM GMT
Edited: 4 Apr 2003 11:54PM GMT
Sally-The names of my grandfather's(Arthur Norris)mother father are Euphemia(b.1860) and Samuel(b.1856). Samuel was born at Burtle and his father's name was Josiah. One could speculate that Josiah was born in the 1820s or 1830s. I can probably obtain a more accurate birth date later.Hope this is helpful to you.

WILLIAM NORRIS -CATCOTT, SOMERSET

Posted: 20 Feb 2001 6:14PM GMT
Edited: 4 Apr 2003 11:54PM GMT
Sally,

As posted previously, my maternal grandfather Arthur Norris was from Catcott and came to the United States in about 1910 when he was sixteen years old. His father, Samuel Norris, was born in 1856. Samuel's father was Josiah born in 1814. He was the oldest of six children The third sibling in his family was William Norris who was born or Christened June 1, 1817. The other children were Mary Ann b.1817, George b.1819, Charles b.1824 and Jane b.1824. All were born in Catcott. Their parents were Charles Norris born in 1790 and Elizabeth born about 1793. Could William be the same as your great grandfather if the 1808 or 1814 birthdates were in error? Josiah would be my great-great grandfather. I have spouse information for all but William and Jane. Josiah married Elizabeth Coombs on December 25, 1834. Mary Ann married Joseph Westlake on June 13, 1852. George married Eliza Lock on September 13, 1840. Charles married Harriet Cox on December 25, 1842.

William Norris -Catcott Somerset

Sally (View posts)
Posted: 24 Feb 2001 2:09AM GMT
Byron

Thanks for the information. I do not think that the William Norris's are the same people, but it is possible that they are related somehow. My William did name three of his children William, Mary Ann and Elizabeth though, but whether that was because they were family names or just popular names I do not know. I have found 3 William Norris's in Catcott in the 1851 census, and my William was living in Huntspill by then. I have also found yopur Charles, Harriet and family and George, Eliza and family in the 1851 census. I have also found another Charles and George living in Huntspill in 1881, who were born in or around Catcott. I have also seen a grave stone for ? Cox Norris in Burnham-on-Sea (I think). I have details somewhere but cannot find them at the moment. Do you know whether Charles Norris (b 1790) had any brothers or sisters? Perhaps the link is in that generation.

Re: Norris in Somerset

Posted: 8 Sep 2004 6:22AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Norris, Coombs, Durston, Emery, Batten, Hooper, Acreman, Keyser, Clothier
Josiah was baptised in Dec 18 1813 in Edington and at the time his parents Charles and Elizabeth Norris lived in ChiltonPolden, a village I am working on, with other Norrises, also linked to yours.

the family moved to Catcott after Josiah. One can speculate that they are related to the Chilton Polden Norrises, who appear to have arrived from Edington by way of Moorlinch.

Samuel by the way was from his third wife Jane Margaret Coombs, and not from Elizabeth Coombs. He was baptised in 1843 not 1846. And his sister Frances married Thomas Tratt son of Joseph Tratt of Chilton Polden.

Nancy

per page

Find a board about a specific topic