Search for content in message boards

LOOKING FOR FAMILY

LOOKING FOR FAMILY

Posted: 5 Mar 2013 2:50AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: OLSEN / NICHOLSON
I AM THE GREAT GRANDDAUGHTER OF SAM OLSEN. HE WAS BORN IN 1898, I BELIEVE IN NORWAY AND HAD A TWIN BROTHER OLAF. I UNDERSTAND SAM,HIS WIFE JOAN AND TWO DAUGHTERS, LEVIEGH (1921) AND AUDREY (1923) CAME TO CANADA AROUND 1927. I AM ALSO TOLD THE FAMILY NAME WAS OLSEN BUT THEY CHANGED IT TO NICHOLSON SOME YEARS LATER IN CANADA. THIS IS THE ONLY INFORMATION I HAVE. I AM HOPING THE FACT THAT SAM HAD A TWIN BROTHER WILL MAKE FAMILY EASIER TO FIND. IF ANYONE THINKS THEY MAY HAVE INFORMATION OR KNOWS HOW I SHOULD CONTINUE SEARCHING, PLEASE EMAIL ME. bethprost4@gmail.com

KIND REGARDS
BETH

Re: LOOKING FOR FAMILY

Posted: 7 Mar 2013 4:19AM GMT
Joan, Leviegh and Audrey do not sound like Norwegian names. Could they have used different names after ariving in Canada? I could not find the family in the 1900 census or the emigration records.

Posted: 7 Mar 2013 2:59PM GMT
Thank you for your message. I thought the same thing. Maybe I should stick to Sam and Olaf Olsen born 15 December 1898 in Norway. Unfortunately this is all I have to go on. I do believe that Olaf remained in Norway and did not travel to Canada. I am assuming he had a family. Honestly, I don't even know for sure if I'm spelling Olsen correctly. There was also talk of them changing the last name to Nicholson.

Posted: 7 Mar 2013 3:24PM GMT
I tried looking at the 1910 Norwegian census for everyone listed as being born on 15 Dec 1898, but none of the name were even close.

Sam could be short for more than just Samuel. I tried all options.

What is your source for the date of birth?

Posted: 7 Mar 2013 10:02PM GMT
I was told the date by my uncle who is the grandson of Sam. I will ask him if he knows what Sam is short for. I will also double check the birthdate. Unfortunately my uncle is the only person left (besides me) that I am aware of.
I appreciate your help. I was adopted at birth and this is my bioligical family I am looking for info on so it is very exciting for me.
I do know that Sam died in British Columbia, Canada in 1984. I am new at this and not too sure how to make connections to lead me to info.
Thank you again.

Beth

Posted: 8 Mar 2013 8:38AM GMT
Edited: 8 Mar 2013 8:56AM GMT
Do you have the exact death date for Sam? Or the city?

I looked at the death records for British Columbia, but there is neither a Sam Olsen nor a Sam Nicholson listed as dying in 1984.

Do you have any info on Audrey and Leviegh? Who and when did they marry? When and where did they die? We need to find a starting point somewhere.

Family Found!

Posted: 8 Mar 2013 5:54PM GMT
Hi Beth,

I posted your information on a Norwegian board, and a Norwegian lady named Ann-Mary Engum from Brekstad put things together and found your family! I tried many different name possibilities, but the correct names found by Ann-Mary surprised me. She did amazing research!

"Sam Olsen" was born "Sverre Nekolaissen"
"Olaf Olsen" was born "Olaf Martin Nekolaissen"
but he is not the twin brother of Sverre. The twin is:
Torvald Nekolaissen. Torvald and Sverre were indeed both
born 15 Dec 1898.

Their parents were Nekolai Peder Olsen and Maren Jørgine
Eriksdatter.

"Joan" was born "Jorund Kristiansen"

Daughter "Leviegh" was born "Liveig Elise" on 2 Feb 1921

I will add more information and posts links to the records.
I wish I could says I found this myself - but all the work
was done by Mara-Ann Engum.

Brian

Death record for Sam / Sverre

Posted: 8 Mar 2013 5:59PM GMT
The death record lists his parents and wife, as well as the correct date of birth:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FL1V-373

1900 Census

Posted: 8 Mar 2013 6:05PM GMT
The 1900 census for the farm "Kjønnaas" in Vefsen parish, Nordland, Norway, shows the family:

http://www.rhd.uit.no/folketellinger/ftliste.aspx?ft=1900&am...

Egil, Olav, Torvald and Sverre are the sons of Nekolai and Maren. Ole Benjamin Nekolaissen is the father of Nekolai Peder Olssen. Peder Laus Eriksen is Maren's brother.

1910 Census

Posted: 8 Mar 2013 6:11PM GMT
Edited: 8 Mar 2013 6:14PM GMT
Here is the family in 1910:

http://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/ft/person/pf01036906002...

The birth year for Sverre reads 1899 instead of 1898. These are common errors due to the old records being machine read.

Interesting, the occupation for Sverre and Torvald is listed as "goat twins", so they were shepards.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions