Search for content in message boards

Mcleods from Isle of Lewis, Scotland

Mcleods from Isle of Lewis, Scotland

Annabel Mary Burbidge (View posts)
Posted: 2 Jul 2003 6:10PM GMT
Classification: Query
Donald and Isabella Mcleod from Enaclete on the isle of Lewis, Scotland came to Ontario in 1851. They settled(possibly) in the Ripley/Kincardine region of Ontario. They brought 6 of their 7 children with them, I am a descendant of the son left behind on Lewis.
My sister are both now residents of Ontario and would like to find any info we can.

Re: Mcleods from Isle of Lewis, Scotland

Bill McLeod (View posts)
Posted: 12 Jul 2003 3:22PM GMT
Hi:

This may not be of much help but, I too, have ancestors from the Isle of Lewis. My great-grandfather was Angus McLeod. He was born at Ross and Cromarty in 1833. His parents were William and Christina McLeod. To the best of my knowledge, Angus had no siblings. He joined the Hudson Bay Company in 1848 and worked at various locations around James Bay until he died in 1880 at Waswanipi, Quebec.

My grandfather, William McLeod was born in Waswanipi in 1872. He was the son of Angus and a lady named Marya Iserhoff who was part Cree.

Angus suposedly had a wife named Jane and five other children who were living in Sault Ste. Marie, ON when Angus died in 1880. Census records confirm this information exactly.

After William was born, Marya married a man named Murdo Mackay. They had three additional children and moved back to Scotland. I have quite a bit of information about the Mackays but nothing much on Jane and the other kids.

If this is of no help to you, consign it to the great cyberspace trash bin. If you have any information that you think might be of interest to me, I would appreciate hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Bill McLeod,
Sudbury, ON

Posted: 30 Jul 2003 12:37AM GMT
hi there this is just a long shot i am trying to find details of the burbidge line and when i saw the name mcleod it rang a bell i have g g grandfather who appears on the 1881 census
married to a Mary mcleod in glasgow but his two sons thomas and henry were born in england Mary Mcleod seems to be henry Burbidge's second wife and his first wife seems to have died i am at a dead end @ 1881 and I dont no where he came from '
thanking you Aida Burbidge

Bill Mcleod (View posts)
Posted: 4 Aug 2003 2:45PM GMT
Hi Anabel:

I don't think we have a hit here. My ancestor, Angus McLeod left the Isle of Lewis in 1848 and, to the best of my knowledge, never returned. The lady (Marya Iserhoff) who was the mother of his son (my grandfather, William McLeod) married a man named Murdo Mackay and they went back to Scotland. She is buried at Stornoway. Angus' parents were William McLeod and Christina MacLeod. I don't know if they had any other children

Hope this sheds some light.

Bill McLeod

Lea Ann Veysey (View posts)
Posted: 5 Aug 2003 8:41PM GMT
I tired to e-mail you but it was returned. I have and Donald McLeod that came from Scotland and settled in the Kincardine/Ripley area with his three sons, Daniel, 'duncan and Hugh. Most of the info I have is on Hugh's side of the family - other areas they were in were Goderich and Bayfield.
If this sounds like any of your connections would like to hear from you.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic