Search for content in message boards

"Find A Grave" a great resource for genealogists!

"Find A Grave" a great resource for genealogists!

Posted: 30 May 2011 11:33PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 31 May 2011 1:16PM GMT
I remember when I was first getting started in genealogy, my neighbor who got me into it, was spending a lot of money going to different cemetaries and walking them to get info. Time consuming and costly. On "Find A Grave" you can search and imput your family if need be. I do bios on mine and relative links too. So if you know where your family are buried it is easy to add them. I have found this a valuable tool.If you find a relative and want a photo of the grave, you can request one. There are so many people there who will do it for you at no cost. Please pass this on to your fellow genealogists!!

Re: "Find A Grave" a great resource for genealogists!

Posted: 5 Aug 2011 3:31PM GMT
However, please remember the grave photographs on Find A Grave belong to the submitter/photographer. If you want to use them elsewhere, even on your own computer, you need written permission. Ancestry.com's Content Submission Agreement specifically states that you MUST NOT post items that do not belong to you without permission.

Posted: 5 Aug 2011 4:09PM GMT
I saw a previous posting by you saying you have some photos in your computer!!Did you get permission? Who made you a cop???

Posted: 5 Aug 2011 5:31PM GMT
The photos ON my computer are either
a.) scans of the family photos I inherited from my mother;
or
b.) photos that I photographed myself on my camera, i.e. my creation and property.
Ergo, I do not need permission.

I thought you, and other readers, might like to know that copying photos without the photographers' permission is
a.) illegal, otherwise known as copyright infringement;
b.) prohibited by Ancestry's policy;
and
c.) prohibited by Find A Grave's policy.

What made me a cop was finding MY creations copied illegally, immorally and unethically without my permission onto Ancestry family trees. I have to do my own "policing" because people do not use the common courtesy they were taught as children: Ask before using someone's property.

Posted: 20 Feb 2012 8:02AM GMT
We just reached 14,000 photos on our family tree project. I'd say about 20% of it is from collaboration with volunteers from Findagrave. So much progress can be made from the help of the larger community. Excellent stuff. I agree Margie!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic