Search for content in message boards

What is the proper way to enter a title such as Captain into Family Tree Maker?

What is the proper way to enter a title such as Captain into Family Tree Maker?

Posted: 23 May 2013 6:36PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 28 May 2013 2:15PM GMT
Is there a correct protocol?
I am thinking that, instead of Captain Abner Packard, I should enter Abner (Captain) Packard, or Abner "Captain" Packard.

Re: What is the proper way to enter a title such as Captain?

Posted: 24 May 2013 12:52PM GMT
Edited: 7 Jun 2013 3:45PM GMT
Enter it where? If into genealogy software, many provide a field for that information.

"should enter Abner (Captain) Packard, or Abner "Captain" Packard". No.

HH

Posted: 24 May 2013 5:41PM GMT
I suppose I meant "enter" the title "Captain" to an Ancestry person or to a Family Tree Maker person.

I don't see a place to enter a prefix, only a suffix, like "Jr.". I've looked on Help with no success. So here I am.

Peggy

Posted: 28 May 2013 2:16PM GMT
I've amended your subject line and am moving this thread to the FTM board. Someone with knowledge of that software will most likely be able to help.

HH

Posted: 28 May 2013 7:40PM GMT
It would not be part of the name. It would be an "occupation" fact.

Posted: 28 May 2013 9:03PM GMT
Yes Captain is not part of a name it is an occupation.

Re: What is the proper way to enter a title such as Captain into Family Tree Maker?

Posted: 28 May 2013 9:38PM GMT
Edited: 28 May 2013 11:16PM GMT
Here is a response from Ancestry Customer Assistance. This makes sense to me, and I have added (Captain)into the Suffix Box. I agree that "Captain" is an occupation, but also was traditionally part of the name and used to differentiate people with the same name. Other examples that are even more used as prefixes to the name are
"President"; "Governor"; "Senator'; "Congressman (woman)"; "King"; "Lord"; "Lady"; etc.

(THE ANCESTRY RESPONSE)

"Adding people to your family tree with a title happens from time to time but is not a normal occurrence. We wouldn't have any traditional method to add titles to people but we would recommend adding titles to the suffixes area. This helps you differentiate the person from their birth name to their given title. A good way of thinking about what order to put names is to imagine you are a guest viewing the tree for the first time. If you put the Captain title in the suffix area this becomes clear to the visitor that this isn't their first name."

"We love to hear members feedback and I would like to submit your feedback to our development team. The developers can take on the feedback to add a new section to add titles onboard for consideration."

Posted: 28 May 2013 11:09PM GMT
I am a little puzzled by this since Captain is not necessarily an occupation. For instance, a US NAVY Captain has the tile, and rank, Captain, but his job can be many things even chaplain or legal officer. It is true that it is not a permanent title, as he comes up the ranks he has been LTJG, LT, LCDR, CDR .. etc... so I can see where you wouldn't want it as THE title in the name. but I am not comfortable with it as "occupation" either. Then there is my husband's great-grandfather [and his great-great one too for that matter] whose occupation is "master mariner" but are called Capt. so & so.

Posted: 28 May 2013 11:17PM GMT
see Ancestry Response above.

Peggy

Posted: 28 May 2013 11:18PM GMT
Edited: 28 May 2013 11:24PM GMT

I think we MUST be careful what is added to a name.

Examples - in my family, several men had the given name of "Doctor" or "Dock." A copier/clickologist gave them all an MD suffix. I have a cousin whose given name IS Captain.

As you might guess from my username, one of my direct lines is the Burgess family. In an early twig, one of my ancestors was an elected Burgess (title, not name). Many trees list him as Burgess Larkin Chew (given name, middle name, surname), while his name IS Larkin Chew (given name, surname). Do you know what that does to hints for my Burgess line?

The OP suggested (Captain) or "Captain" - the first would make it appear that Captain was the maiden name; the second, a nickname.

I could possibly see using the suffix box for a title that does not change over time - for example, a minister would still be a Reverend. But military ranks change over time, as do most other occupational titles.

In the south, after the Civil War, many men of status were called "Colonel," while having only served as privates in grey.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions