Search for content in message boards

Turcotte - Bushaw connection in Newaygo Co

Turcotte - Bushaw connection in Newaygo Co

Posted: 28 Jan 2009 2:15AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 28 Jan 2009 6:08PM GMT
Surnames: Turcotte, Bushaw
In about 1881 Michael Turcotte and his wife Marguritte(who went by different names and spellings of her first names) arrived in Newaygo County with at least 2, and maybe more step children in tote. She had previously been married to a Bushaw. Had Son David, who used surname Turcotte and Bushaw, another son PJ Bushaw, and still another person, Nazir Bushaw is buried near her in the cemetery at White Cloud. Does anyone know anything about the Turcotte-Bushaw connection? If so, Please fill me in. Thanks. JC

Re: Turcotte - Bushaw connection in Newaygo Co

Posted: 2 Apr 2009 3:29PM GMT
Edited: 3 Apr 2009 7:21PM GMT
Surnames: Bushaw
I'm not related to this family.

Nazir Bushaw does not appear in any US census.

Need DOB's + birthplaces for Michael & Marguritte.

Need same info for all children & step-children.

Posted: 11 Apr 2009 10:25PM GMT
Edited: 12 Apr 2009 12:06PM GMT
Surnames: Turcotte, Bushaw, Beauchamp, Modjewski
I only wish I had a birthplace for Michael.....He was born about 1841 in "lower Canada" Margaret I have listed as b 1848 Isle du Grande Calumet Quebec.
She married Peter Beauchamp ...children used spelling Bushaw
Last record I find of her in Canada is 1861 Wolf Island Census.
Known Children...David b1865 Listed as Turcotte on 1880 census, died in MI, Lived as David BUSHAW
Eliza Beauchamp b 1867 palmerton twp ontario
Mary Ann Beauchamp b 1869 Palmerton Twp Ontario
Nazir Beauchamp b 1871 Denbright twp Ontario
Perry H age 18 on 1900 Newaygo co census
Wilber Age 17 on 1900 Newaygo Co census
Margaret age 11 on 1900 Newaygo co census
Elizabeth age 7 on 1900 Newaygo co census
and Lousia, her longest surviving child
I am pretty sure that I posted a photo of the tombsttone on
Find a grave...St Josephs's Cemetery White cloud, Newaygo Co. MI Her married name was Modjewski

Posted: 11 Apr 2009 10:45PM GMT
Edited: 12 Apr 2009 12:07PM GMT
Surnames: Beauchamp, Modjeski
I just checked....My spelling was wrong It is ST Joseph Cemetery....and the last name is spelled Modjeski.....She was born in 1876.
An interesting footnote here....her first husband Peter Beauchamp went on to North Dakota, took up with an Indian woman and became the father of Sitting Bull.... I don't know if this was the famous one or not....

Posted: 30 Apr 2012 6:40AM GMT
Edited: 30 Apr 2012 1:43PM GMT
Surnames: Bushaw
I don't know if you are still actively working on this family as your message is three years old, but I am also working on them and I'd like to hear from you to exchange information.

Family legends are fun usually with a small grain of truth to them, as in this case. Marguerite's first husband, Peter Bushaw, Sr., married an Irish woman and lived in Mason Co., Michigan. He did go to North Dakota to visit family, but returned to Michigan. Marguerite also had relatives living in North Dakota. His and Marguerite's sons, David & Peter, Jr. married Indian women, and Marguerite herself was part Indian.

Posted: 1 May 2012 12:07AM GMT
Surnames: Turcotte, Bushaw
Please do e mail me and help me sort out this mess! medicalresearch2002@yahoo.com

I have actually been to the gravesite of several of these people in Newaygo Co. JC
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions