Search for content in message boards

Dodd Family from Newfoundland

Dodd Family from Newfoundland

Phil Dodd (View posts)
Posted: 8 Jan 2002 11:07PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello All
Looking for info on the Dopdd family in St. John's , Newfoundland, Canada. The first info I could find was a Thomas Dodd living in St. John's in 1670. He was married with 4 children. The Dodd family are concentratwd in and around St. John's. I believe there are about 50 families in all and are probably related????? Any info would be a help.

Phil Dodd
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Canada

Re: Dodd Family from Newfoundland

Posted: 12 May 2013 1:30AM GMT
Surnames: DODD
Hello Phil,
I saw your post while researching my family tree; my mom was Mary Dodd born 1920 in St. John's, Newfoundland. I have traced back to my great-grandfather , Mathew /Matthew DODD born about 1845, married Johanna Nowlan/Nolan. I've been trying to put together the connection to Thomas Dodd, which as you mentioned is the earliest Dodd. I remember my mom saying the family came from England...how are you related?
Best regards,
Sheri St. Amour, Windsor, ONtario

Re: Dodd Family from Newfoundland

Posted: 14 May 2013 8:04PM GMT
Hello there, this is a very early date, my mother's maiden name was Dodd, but would not imagine connected to you. This period in the borders between Scotland and England was like the wild west but rougher! This is where the Dodd family came from originally. I have a book on this time, a bit dry in places but it does give you an insight perhaps of why fighting Indians and bears would have been easier! It's called the Steel Bonnets by George Macdonald Fraser. My own direct family came originally to Canada in about 1912, 4 brothers, 3 of whom the went to the U.S. Good luck with your research. Incidentally Northumberland now is so peaceful you would never think that anything had ever happened there. Cheers Rosa
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions