Search for content in message boards

Is Minerva Indain?

Is Minerva Indain?

Posted: 15 Feb 2009 5:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Young, Matlock
lOOKING FOR INFO ON Minerva Matlock M to David Alexander YOUNG. They lived in Springtown,Parker Co., TX.

Re: Is Minerva Indain?

Posted: 17 Jun 2011 4:45AM GMT
You mis-spelled "Indian." Minerva is my great, great, great, grand mother. She looks Indian in my picture of her. My grand mother told my aunts before she died that she was part Cherokee Indian. Minerva was born in the area where it was old Cherokee Nation in East Tennessee. The Trail of Tears was in 1838 and ended in 1839.

Everyone kept saying that my sister and my mother looked Indian. I really wondered so I started tracing the family tree. I can't find anything on paper that she was Indian but she sure looked it in her picture. I am Darlene Kunis.
Attachments:

Posted: 17 Jun 2011 8:10PM GMT
Surnames: Matlock/Selvidge
Minerva is the sister of my 2nd gr-grandmother, Candace Matlock Selvidge. I too haven't been able to document Indian heritage.

Mary

Posted: 18 Jun 2011 3:28PM GMT
My great grandmother is Minerva (Minnie) Wallace Matlock. Her son, Clarence, always told me his Mother was full-blooded Cherokee. Her photos reveal black hair, dark brown eyes, and dark skin. Her features are that of an Indian. We probably are not talking about the same Minerva---however, thought I might pass it along.

Shelia

Posted: 18 Jun 2011 6:53PM GMT
Hi Shelia, Thank you for passing along the information about you gr-grandmother. Our Minerva was born in TN and her parents were Jason and Elizabeth Hicks Matlock.

Mary

Posted: 20 Sep 2011 2:39PM GMT
I have a Minerva Matlock who was born abt 1812 in Overton County Tennessee. She was the d/o Charlie Matlock and Elizabeth Lynch. Charlie was 1/4 Chickasaw.

Posted: 21 Sep 2011 8:06PM GMT
The Minerva Matlock that you were referring to born in 1814 was the aunt to my Minerva Matlock. The older one was the sister to James Jason Matlock, Jr. My Minerva is the younger one. Which parent of the older Minerva was Chickasaw? Most of the Chickasaws were in Mississippi and parts of Alabama. Are the Matlock's Indian or the Lynches were Chickasaw? My grandma said we were part Cherokee.

Posted: 21 Sep 2011 10:01PM GMT
I believe that we as talking about a different Matlock family.

My Matlock family is as follows:

FIRST GENERATION

1. Obe MATLOCK died in Overton Co., Tennessee. He was buried in at the three forks of the Obey River, Overton Co., Tennessee.

He was married to Pollie. Pollie died in Overton Co., Tennessee. She was buried in At the three forks of the Obey River, Overton Co., Tennessee. Polly was 1/2 Chickasaw indian Obe MATLOCK and Pollie had the following children:

+2 i. Charles MATLOCK.
3 ii. Jeter MATLOCK.
4 iii. Moore MATLOCK died in Overton Co., Tennessee.

SECOND GENERATION

2. Charles MATLOCK was born about 1770. He died in Apr 1819 in Overton Co., Tennessee.

Elizabeth LYNCH was born about 1773. She died about 1822 in Overton Co., Tennessee. It is said that she hung herself. She was also known as Betsy. Charles MATLOCK and Elizabeth LYNCH had the following children:

+5 i. Celia MATLOCK.
+6 ii. Melinda MATLOCK.
+7 iii. Overton MATLOCK.
8 iv. Minerva P. MATLOCK was born about 1812.
+9 v. Mary Wilson MATLOCK.
+10 vi. Ann Eliza MATLOCK.
+11 vii. Elizabeth Geter MATLOCK.

THIRD GENERATION

5. Celia MATLOCK was born about 1799. She died before 1826 in Overton Co., Tennessee.

She was married to Grey Bynum FANCHER (son of Richard FANCHER and Patsey GREY ) on 17 Aug 1817 in Overton Co., Tennessee. Grey Bynum FANCHER was born on 12 Jan 1791 in Stokes Co., North Carolina. He died on 2 Jan 1876 in Palo Pinto Co., Texas. Celia MATLOCK and Grey Bynum FANCHER had the following children:

12 i. Thomas Hampton FANCHER was born on 15 Aug 1823. He died on 28 Apr 1901 in Missouri. He was buried in Livingston Cemetery, Miller Co., Missouri.
+13 ii. Permelia Emeline FANCHER.

6. Melinda MATLOCK was born on 10 Dec 1806 in Overton Co., Tennessee. She died on 18 Jan 1874 in Knox Co., Tennessee.

She was married to David Lewis WAYLAND (son of Lewis WAYLAND and Elizabeth LINK ). David Lewis WAYLAND was born in 1805 in Augusta Co., Virginia. He died in 1832 in New Orleans, Louisiana. Melinda MATLOCK and David Lewis WAYLAND had the following children:

14 i. Felix Grundy WAYLAND was born on 6 Oct 1827. He died on 1 May 1907 in Knox Co., Tennessee. He was buried in Old Salem Cemetery, Knox Co., Tennessee.

7. Overton MATLOCK was born about 1810. He was also known as Obe.

Overton MATLOCK had the following children:

+15 i. Sarah E MATLOCK.

9. Mary Wilson MATLOCK was born in 1815 in Overton Co., Tennessee. She died in 1864 in Hunt Co., Texas. She was also known as Polly. She was buried in Rehobeth Cemetery, Fannin Co., Texas.

She was married to Thomas Calvin HILL (son of John HILL and Catherine MEANS ). Thomas Calvin HILL was born on 17 Mar 1810 in Overton Co., Tennessee. He died on 19 Sep 1879 in Hunt Co., Texas. Mary Wilson MATLOCK and Thomas Calvin HILL had the following children:

+16 i. John Calvin HILL.
+17 ii. Elizabeth Ann HILL.
18 iii. Catherine HILL.
+19 iv. Andrew Benton HILL.
20 v. James William HILL was born in 1842 in Overton Co., Tennessee.
+21 vi. Mary Jane HILL.
22 vii. Margaret E, HILL was born in 1846 in Overton Co., Tennessee. She died in 1864 in Hunt Co., Texas. She was buried in Rehobeth Cemetery, Fannin Co., Texas.
+23 viii. Evans HILL.
+24 ix. Amanda Malvina HILL.
+25 x. Martha Marena HILL.

10. Ann Eliza MATLOCK was born about 1817.

She was married to Robert Clemmons HILL (son of John HILL and Catherine MEANS ). Robert Clemmons HILL was born on 2 Sep 1811. Ann Eliza MATLOCK and Robert Clemmons HILL had the following children:

26 i. George W. HILL was born in 1841 in Overton Co., Tennessee.
27 ii. Siddie HILL was born in 1847 in Overton Co., Tennessee.1

11. Elizabeth Geter MATLOCK was born on 26 Aug 1819 in Overton Co., Tennessee. She died on 18 Jan 1877 in Overton Co., Tennessee. She was also known as Betsy.

She was married to Benjamin LEDBETTER (son of Washington LEDBETTER and Martha CHESSER ) in 1835 in Overton Co., Tennessee. Benjamin LEDBETTER was born on 23 Jul 1811 in Overton Co., Tennessee. He died on 4 May 1891 in Alpine Community, Overton Co., Tennessee. He was also known as Ben. Elizabeth Geter MATLOCK and Benjamin LEDBETTER had the following children:

+28 i. James Calvin LEDBETTER.
29 ii. Nancy Jane LEDBETTER was also known as Nannie.

Posted: 22 Sep 2011 12:05AM GMT
Surnames: Matlock, Powell, Smith
I am curious about the Moore Matlock (son of Obe in your first generation.) Do you know how he got his first name? I am descended from Moore Matlock Sr. (1730-1812) of Roane Co TN and his wife Emily Jane Powell, and also from their son Moore Matlock (c. 1760-1830) of Overton Co TN and his first wife Susan Smith. Any relation?

Posted: 22 Sep 2011 12:17AM GMT
I have suspected that your Moore Matlock was his namesake but no proof.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic