Search for content in message boards

Problems with Family Tree Maker 2012 after re-installing it

Problems with Family Tree Maker 2012 after re-installing it

Posted: 4 Jun 2013 7:28PM GMT
Classification: Query
I had a bad file so in turn went about deinstalling and reintsalling FMT 2012. I got 2 of my tree's back into FMT, but can't for the life of me get the 3rd one. What is the easiest way to take your tree from ancestry and put it back into FMT 2012 keeping the photo's and such in tact?

Re: Problems with Family Tree Maker 2012 after re-installing it

Posted: 4 Jun 2013 8:28PM GMT
Edited: 4 Jun 2013 8:34PM GMT
Veronica,

Open FTM and go to the Plan Workspace. There are 2 tabs, New Tree and Current Tree. Click on New Tree and then select "Download from Ancestry".

This gives you a list of the trees you have on Ancestry. If you don't want a sync'd tree unselect the "Link to Ancestry" and then click "Download" for the tree you want to move down. This will create a new file with everything from Ancestry but you will have lost fact notes and stories that were in your previous FTM tree.

If none of the trees are available for download because they were previously sync'd you will have to go back to Ancestry and break the Sync link at that end. Then, after a bit, the tree should be available for download. The data displayed in FTM will have to be refreshed so this can take a few minutes.

And now, instead of all this, how about just restoring that file from its Backup? You are doing backups, aren't you? If not, you should really make a point of creating a backup every day you use FTM. And have the backup stored off site, either with an online backup service or on a CD/DVD stored in another location. And don't overwrite the backup. Create backups with the date in the file name.

Rosemary

Posted: 4 Jun 2013 9:15PM GMT
I do backups usually each night when I'm done and rename them by date. I've tried the "Restore" option by clicking FILE > RESTORE, but the tree I want doesn't show up in that folder, however it is there when I just look on my computer. I've also tried to click on NEW TREE > Import from an existing file and BROWSE, but again, it doesn't show up. Only my media files folder is there. I've also found the most current one in the folder I saved it and clicked OPEN WITH > FAMILY TREE MAKER 2012, but it was taking FOREVER to load so I pushed cancel. When I say forever, I started early yesterday evening and when I woke up this morning it was still in the about same spot. It seems to go rather quickly at first, then then the bar that shows how much is complete is still at the same spot.

Posted: 4 Jun 2013 10:45PM GMT
Veronica,

Looks like your best bet is to download from Ancestry. Pity.

Rosemary
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions