Search for content in message boards

Harris family of Virginia/North Carolina, Tenn./Arkansas/Tex

Harris family of Virginia/North Carolina, Tenn./Arkansas/Tex

Posted: 16 Nov 2006 7:33PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 17 Nov 2006 5:44PM GMT
Surnames: Harris
I am attempting to find the ancestor of Joel J. Harris. I believe his father was named Joel and they are descended from one of the Thomas Harris' of Isle of Wight, Virginia. I have been unable to track the move of that line of the Harris family from Virginia to Rutherford, NC. Joel was used as a name in the family several times.

Re: Harris family of Virginia/North Carolina, Tenn./Arkansas/Tex

Posted: 17 Nov 2006 2:34PM GMT
Greetings Jack:

Do you have any dates (day, month, year) and/or locations (city, county, state) for the births, marriages, and/or deaths of Joel Sr., Joel Jr. or Thomas Harris?

Your friend, Jim

Tom King (View posts)
Posted: 17 Nov 2006 2:41PM GMT
Edited: 17 Nov 2006 5:46PM GMT
Can you be more specific about which Joel Harris you are referring to?
I have dozen of them in my database that all connect back to IOW,
so I need more information to figure out which line you are looking
for.

Jack (View posts)
Posted: 18 Nov 2006 12:55AM GMT
Jim,
Thanks for your reply. I believe that I have some information on the group you mention. There is a Thomas who was born ca 1630 in Crixie, England. He immigrated to Isle of Wight, VA. He had a son, Edward, born ca 1660 in Isle of Wight. Edward had a son, Edward, born ca 1685. There was no middle initial nor junior added to the second Edward as nearly as I can tell. The next generation included a son, Joel, born ca 1728. I have reason to believe that the next generation included a son, Joel, born ca 1751. Again there was no middle initial or junior. I believe all of this was in Virginia. My great-great-grandfather was Joel J. who was born ca 1804 in Rutherford County, NC. I can track everything after Joel J. fairly well. What I don't have is the VA link to the Joel J. born in NC. Unfortunately, Joel was used a number of times in the family.
Thanks again.
Jack

Jack (View posts)
Posted: 18 Nov 2006 1:10AM GMT
Edited: 18 Nov 2006 6:46PM GMT
Surnames: Harris, Moore
Tom,
Thanks for your reply. I am pretty sure that I can trace each generation back to my great-great-grandfather, Joel J., who was born ca 1804 in Rutherford County, NC. I believe that he is descended from the Thomas Harris who was born ca 1630 in Crixie, England, and immigrated to Isle of Wight, VA. Thomas had a son, Edward, born ca 1660 in IOW. Edward had a son, Edward, born ca 1685 in IOW. The second Edward had a son, Joel, born ca 1728 in IOW or Southampton, VA. Joel had a son, Joel, born ca 1751 in either VA or NC. I am trying to establish the link of the Thomas Harris of VA to Joel J. of ca 1804. As you indicated, the name Joel was used a number of times with no middle initial or junior attached in the literature.I believe that the second Joel (1751) immigrated to NC but I am uncertain as to where. At some point Joel J.'s father obviously showed up in Rutherford, NC. I can find Joel J. (and his wife Mary Moore) in the 1850 census in Bradley County, TN. My great-grandfather, John Wilson Harris, was born ca 1829 in Rutherford County and he was still in the home in the 1850 census.
Thanks again for your reply.

Jack

Tom King (View posts)
Posted: 18 Nov 2006 3:37AM GMT
Edited: 18 Nov 2006 6:46PM GMT
Surnames: Harris, Westbrook
Joel Harris (III) was born c1800 in Southampton Co., VA and married
Mary Westbrook but they lived all their lives in Southampton with
Joel (III) dying in 1858. There is an 1828 Chancery Court Suit in
Southampton listing all of the children and grandchildren of Joel Harris Sr. Joel Harris (II) and Lucy Westbook also lived all of their lives in
Southampton and did not move to NC. Don't see how any of this line
could be connected to any Harris in Rutherford Co., NC, but I haven't
researched all of the children and grandchildren, just most of them.
Most from this IOW Harris line moved to Warren/Bute Co, NC in the
1770's, including some children of Joel Sr.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions