Search for content in message boards

Translation help?

Translation help?

Posted: 22 May 2013 10:34PM GMT
Classification: Query
A group of photos was found with my Flemish great grandmother's family photos. Upon trying to translate them with the help of google, I discovered the writing on the back of the photos is not Dutch. It appears to be Danish or Norwegian. Can anyone confirm and translate? They seems to be photos sent between my great grandmother and possibly her brother.

For some reason I am having difficulty uploading files today. I did manage to get the image uploaded to the Denmark message board. Hopefully, that will be accessible:

http://boards.ancestry.com/localities.scan-balt.denmark.gene...
Attachments:

Re: Translation help?

Posted: 22 May 2013 11:10PM GMT
Hi

This is oldfashioned norwegian.
Here is what is writen:

1: Henning with his great-grandmother. In her window you can see that she still is interested in flowers.
2: The picture that surely pleases you the most to get
3: Here you see Henning with his great-grandmother. The photo is from the summer of 1928 or 29 -- notice the blossom in her window
4: Krestian(?) Sofie and Krestine and your mother
5: Myself the day after I stopped beeing a soldier

Vivi

Posted: 22 May 2013 11:26PM GMT
Thank you very much for your reply. What a mystery.

The photos *have* to be of family, but it makes no sense at all that My Flemish relatives would have spoken, let alone written Norwegian. You say it is old fashioned Norwegian... can you tell by the phrasing/spelling if the writing is what I would think of as 'school book perfect'? Or could it have been something they learned at home with a dedicated parent/more casual?

Posted: 23 May 2013 7:00AM GMT
Hi

Words like dig and mig (migselv) was not supposed to be used after 1938 when it became correct to use deg and meg (megselv). (Deg means you and meg means me). But of course people didn't change their usual way of writing at once. I remember getting letters in the 1970's from an old woman still using mig and dig.
Other oldfashioned words are efter today we use etter (after), hendes today hennes (her), billedet today bildet (the photo/Picture). My guess is that this was written in the 1930's or 1940's.
Does the names Henning, Sofie and Krestine sound familiar? (The fourth name looks lik Krestian, but I'm not quite sure I read it correct.)

Vivi

Posted: 23 May 2013 3:45PM GMT
Edited: 23 May 2013 3:46PM GMT
Norwegian and Danish are very similar languages, but by phrasing/spelling I'm quite sure this is Danish, not Norwegian.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Norwegian_Bokm%C3...

Posted: 23 May 2013 3:57PM GMT
Thank you very much for all the help.

None of the names are familiar. That branch of my family is extremely Flemish so it is very puzzling. In terms of location, Denmark is closer to Flanders than Norway so that in itself would be another reason for it to be Danish.

Posted: 23 May 2013 6:50PM GMT
Hi

Norwegian language is very influenced by danish and oldfashioned norwegian is similar to danish.
But I don't think danish language would use the word "som" nor would they use "at faa" in this sentence: Det billede som det sikkert glæder dig mest at faa.
Danish would write "der" and "modtage" instead: Det billede der glæder dig mæst at modtage.
My danish is not good, but I am norwegian and have read some oldfashioned norwegian. I still think this is oldfashioned norwegian.

Does the photos themself have any buildings, uniforms etc that might give us some clues to their origin?

Vivi

Posted: 23 May 2013 8:06PM GMT
This is the front of the photos. As you can see the writer is in his military uniform but it is difficult to see clearly. It all looks fairly generic to me, but maybe something will jump out at someone else.

As my great grandmother's mother's maiden name is Magdalens, I am starting to wonder if her death date may be wrong, and Sofie in the photos could be the sister of my great grandmother (there is a striking resemblance) and the little woman their mother.
Attachments:

Posted: 23 May 2013 11:01PM GMT
Hi

Sorry, I didn't find any clues in the photos that told me if they were norwegian or not norwegian.

The boy Henning must be about 3 years old? If the photo was from 1928 or 1929, he must have been born around 1925-26.
No idea who he might be?

Vivi

Posted: 24 May 2013 8:34AM GMT
No, we have no one named Henning in the family although Henricus is a constant in our family from Flanders. And no Kristians or Kristinas. It had always been my guess that one of my great grandmother's siblings had married a Dane and raised their family there, and later sent photos. Given all the talk about, 'your mother' I am going to have to try to get the original record that records the death of their mother, as maybe the date I have was attached to the wrong person. I still don't know why anyone would expect GGrandma to read Danish though, unless she had one of the kids raised in Denmark living with her when the photos were sent (although nobody out of place was living with them in the 1925 or 1930 census). So weird, especially since there is a pronounced resemblance between Sofie and my GGrandma.

Thanks again for trying to help, I appreciate it.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions