Search for content in message boards

great grandfather

great grandfather

Posted: 15 Jun 2013 6:17AM GMT
Classification: Query
i,m looking for any information about my great grandfather. he was born somewhere in norway, on february 17th 1850. his name in america was martin mikkelson. then changed to mickelson. also have seen it as michelson.

Re: great grandfather

Posted: 15 Jun 2013 6:26AM GMT
Edited: 15 Jun 2013 6:26AM GMT
There are too many people with that name in Norway to know which is correct. To narrow things down, it would be good to know where he lived in America and his wife's name. That way we can find the census records which would show when he came to America.

Do you know if he had siblings? Or his parent's names?

Posted: 15 Jun 2013 8:11AM GMT
Edited: 15 Jun 2013 8:18AM GMT
I see on ancestry.com that his wife was Anna Sophie Freelander. The trees show that his first child, Gunda, was born in Norway in 1874. This is probably wrong as the 1880 census says Gunda was born in Minnesota. Also, the 1905 census says Martin had been in Minnesota for almost 36 years, which would mean he arrived about 1869.

http://digitalarkivet.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&am...

The 1900 census says Martin arrived in 1871. It Looks like he definately arrived in America before his marriage. The 1910 census says Immigration was 1869.

Posted: 15 Jun 2013 8:22AM GMT
In the 1895 census, there was a Carl Mikkelsen listed next to Martin. This Carl arrived in Minnesota about 1892 and was Born ca. 1856. I believe this Carl could be a brother of Martin.

Posted: 15 Jun 2013 5:52PM GMT
Hi

Was this Carl a blacksmith? And married?
Might be him leaving Norway from Oslo:
http://digitalarkivet.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&am...

Vivi

Posted: 16 Jun 2013 6:45AM GMT
martin married anna sophie freelander in minneapolis minnesota. i found a census record for a different martin mikkelson, that could not have been his family. his wife anna died in june of 1888. she was hit by lighting. she had four children living at that time. she lost a boy at age four. my grandfather was born december 1884, he was named the same as the boy she lost a year before. they lived in leaf mountain township, ottertail county minnesota. i don,t know much about him. i did found out that he was a survayer for the goverment in the missouri river valley. for seven years, when he came to america. he seen thousands of bafalo and common folk and soilders fought with indians who tried to flee into canada.

Posted: 16 Jun 2013 6:50AM GMT
i,m not sure of a carl. we have never herd any thing about any family members in u.s.a. it could be, just that it was not mentioned.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions