Search for content in message boards

George and Mary Hadley 1690 Lower Yonkers, NY

George and Mary Hadley 1690 Lower Yonkers, NY

Posted: 28 Apr 2008 6:53PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hadley, Richardson, Tippett, Conklin, Lawrence
George and Mary Hadley were the children of Joseph Hadley and Mary Richardson. After the death of Mary abt.1679, Joseph married Mehitable Tippett. Joseph and his second wife had two childrn, Mehitable and Joseph.

Joseph Hadley died leaving Mehitable with four children. She married a John Conklin.

The record shows that George and Mary Hadley were declared orphans. They did not live with John Conklin and Mehitable.

A John Lawrence of New Town, Long Island was their guardian.

The last existing record of George is in a land title dispute in the early 1700's. Nothing is known of his sister Mary.

What did happen to George and Mary ?

Re: George and Mary Hadley 1690 Lower Yonkers, NY

Posted: 28 Jun 2008 6:35PM GMT
Surnames: Hadley, Packer, Titus, Noxon, Clark, Tilton, Hans, Ward, Shaw, Griffith, Hart, James, Garret, Stoll, Richards, Hanson, Boyer, Stout, Scharf
I am interested in this George Hadley. I wonder if he is the same as the George Hadley below.

George HADLEY, elsewhere mentioned as a Mariner, died without heirs in New Castle County, Delaware, some time between 1730, when he bought a piece of land from the PACKER family, and April 16, 1733. He had owned a tract of land in Red Lion Hundred, New Castle County, Delaware.

George Hadley died intestate; admin granted to wife Mary, April 16, 1733. [p. 98. Abstracts of wills on file in the surrogate's Office, City of New York (Volume III. 1730-1744)]

334. Deed. 28 May 1734. Ephraim Titus of Hunterdon Co. in Prov. of West Jersey, sole heir of George Hadley, late of Co. of New Castle, dec'd., for the sum of 30 pounds, sold unto Thomas Noxon a plantation & tract of land late belonging to afsd Hadley, dec'd., an Uncle of afsd Titus. Sd. property now in the tenure of John Clark and is situate in Red Lion Hun. in sd. Co. It bounds the Dragon Swamp, the lands of John Tilton, Hans Hans, dec'd., and Henry Ward, dec'd. It contains 200 acres, together with a parcel of marsh containing 15 acres. Sd Titus appoints William Shaw and Gideon Griffith as Attny. Signed: Ephraim Titus. Wit: Mary Titus, John Titus, Edward Hart. Affadavit dated 4 June 1734 signed James James.
[p.85, Abstracts of New Castle County land Records 1728-1731 and 1734-1738, by Carol Garret (2001 Delmarva Roots Lewes Delaware)]

An earlier deed (1730) in which this tract was leased, then sold to George Hadley by the Packard family, locates this tract: bounds the land late of Joseph Stoll and John Richards..." and the 15-acre piece of marsh "bounds the marsh late of Henry Ward, now called Hanson's Marsh; also land of John Boyer & John Stout... granted by sd John Boyer unto afsd Henry Packard (father of the sd Garret, Henry, Catherine & Peter). [this deed on p. 72, Abstracts of New Castle County land Records 1728-1731 and 1734-1738, by Carol Garret].

According to Scharf, in his _History of Delaware_, the chapter concerning Red Lion Hundred, this land was south of Red Lion Creek, near or extending to Dragon Swamp, adjacent to the "Reeden Island" tract patented to Henry Ward [in 1679], and a small branch called Cedar Creek flowed through it.

George Hadley was said to have been wealthy. Scharf, in his _History of Delaware_, the chapter concerning Red Lion Hundred, wrote:
"On May 27, 1730, George Hadley leased two hundred acres of the heirs of Henry Packard. Hadley came from New York City, at which place he owned considerable property. He died at Dover while there attending to some business. He was reported as being immensely wealthy... By his will, bearing date December 28, 1732, he devised his estate to his wife, Mary, who the following year married John Clark. Clark was a mariner and surveyor and was the son of a captain of a boat that sailed between New Castle and New York."

Scharf may not be entirely correct about the wealth. He continues with tales of digging for treasure, a common theme in places near rivers and oceans. Some contents of this work, particularly anecdotes about certain persons, have been found to be not more than family "legends," embriodered oover generations. But if THIS George Hadley had been so wealthy, why is he not more well-known? However a lesser-known mariner may not have had trouble buying 200+ acres in a place that could have had advantages for mariners. Also, mariners are often difficult to find records for, due to their mobility.

Complicating things in Delaware are the family of Simon Hadley, who may not be related to George.

Content Titus, grandfather of Ephraim Titus, came from Weymouth, MAssachusetts, but lived in Newtown, Queens County, NY, where he died in 1730. Ephraim's father was Content's son Silas. Robert, another son of Content, was said to have moved to Delaware in the 1730's, but I don't see records of land transactions in New Castle Co. in the books I have.

I don't know how George Hadley was related to the Titus family, but would like to learn more.

Hope this helps. How was John Lawrence related to George and Mary?

Re: George and Mary Hadley 1690 Lower Yonkers, NY

Posted: 14 Jul 2008 10:51PM GMT
Edited: 29 Jul 2008 11:57AM GMT
Surnames: Hadley, Titus, Hunt
It appears that George Hadley died without children in New Castle Co., Delaware, about 1733. See a recent query on the Titus genweb site regarding George's deeding of a piece of land he owned there to his sole heir and nephew, Ephraim Titus of Hunterdon Co., NJ This Ephraim Titus was born in Newtown, New York about 1696, and from the information given on your World Connect site, I propose that Mary Hadley, George's sister, was the first wife of Silas Titus, and mother of Ephraim, by an heretofore unknown first wife. (Source after source will give Ephraim's mother as Sarah Hunt, daughter of Edward Hunt of Newtown. That was Silas Titus' second wife. That marriage took place in 1715, per the Newtown Town records, but Ephraim was already a land holder in Hunterdon Co., NJ per the 1722 tax list of Hopewell Township.) If my supposition is correct, then I am a descendant of this
Mary Hadley.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic