Search for content in message boards

153 Depot Brigade/info??

153 Depot Brigade/info??

Buz (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jul 2005 6:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Dowd
Looking for information on the 153 Depot Brigade. This is what is listed on my great Uncle's grave stone in Holy Cross Cemetery in Lackawanna/Buffalo New York.
Stone reads:

American Legion
JOHN DOWD
153 DEPOT BRIGADE
1889-1919

Full name and info was:
JOHN JOSEPH DOWD
March 13, 1889 Scranton PA
July 26, 1919 Lackawanna NY

Any info on who they were/ where stationed branch?(Army?)-Have done a web search but didnt turn up much worthwhile.

Supposedly died from poisioning from the war some how.
Thank you.
Buz Kuzan

Re: 153 Depot Brigade/info??

Bob C (View posts)
Posted: 19 Jul 2005 1:54PM GMT
Buz,
You are right trying to find info on the 153 Depot Brigade. Have tried no luck either. Depot Brigades were where the the other units of a Divsion got their replacement of men. You might try google.com and type in Order of Battle 77th Div WW1. I think that might be the Div but not sure. There are afew 153rd Depot men burried in the Philadelphia National Cemetery.
Bob

Buz (View posts)
Posted: 20 Jul 2005 1:39AM GMT
Surnames: Dowd, Kuzan/Kuzon
Bob
Thanks for the reply. This is what I had found already (the only thing though I havent had much time to do a very thorough search yet)

http://www.army.mil/CMH-pg/books/Lineage/M-F/index.htm#conte...

Going to this website and scrolling down to the table of contents and clicking on Organizing the Divisions pg. 58. Then down to pg. 60 and then to the 4rth paragraph that starts "The organization of the..."
On table 4 since my great uncle was from Buffalo/Lackawanna the chart shows he would have been in the 76th Division -if I am reading the chart correctly.

I think I will have to 1)check with a local American Legion and see if in the national office they would have records back to 1919 since and I am assuming -that they put up the gravestone though it could have been at a later date. 2) attempt to see if I can get any military records that may exist-I know about the fire that destroyed certain old records as I had an Uncle who also fought in WW1. 3) sit down and put some time into thinking this thru. I havent ever done any research on the First WW.
So any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks
Buz Kuzan

You can email at my regular email address if you care to.

Re: 153 Depot Brigade/info??Correction

Buz (View posts)
Posted: 20 Jul 2005 1:44AM GMT
In previous message it should read "78th Division" instead of "76th Division"

Eileen Campos (View posts)
Posted: 25 Jul 2005 12:26PM GMT
Hi Buz,
You may want to put a search on this used book site:
http://used.addall.com/ for "78th Division"
A number of books come up, at various prices, listing info on the division - apparently through both World Wars. Some seem to have photos of the men, but not sure if that is WWI men or WWII men. If interested, the seller may be able to tell you how much of the book deals with WWI.
Good Luck
Eileen

Buz (View posts)
Posted: 25 Jul 2005 1:01PM GMT
Thank you for the advice . I'll look into that.
Buz Kuzan

Posted: 16 Nov 2009 10:08PM GMT
My great grandfather served in World War 1 but I know very little. In his picture there is a 153 then crossed guns and a M below it. Mabey there is some conection?

Posted: 29 Nov 2011 11:16PM GMT
I've been looking into my Grandfather's WW1 service. On his grave marker is: 67 Co. 153 Depot Brig. He survived the war, though he suffered a lot of lung problems through his life from being mustard gased. He most likely started with the 76th Division, but from what I've read the men went to whatever division was running low of men.

Posted: 2 Dec 2011 1:53AM GMT
Classification: Military
Surnames: Von Ohlen
I have a panoramic photo of my grandfather's (William Von Ohlen) 18th Company, 5th battalion, 153rd brigade taken in 1918 by the "Pictorial News Company" in NY (Photo #915). I believe it was taken in Camp Dix in New Jersey, possibly between the late spring through early autumn of 1918 since the tree in the background had leaves on it. I also found some information that substantiates this company:
EDWARD HARRIS, 2ND, 1914.
ENLISTED May 15, 1917, in the O.T.C., and trained at Madison Barracks. Graduated as Captain of Infantry Aug. 15. Assigned to Camp Dix, N.J., and attached to the 311th Infantry. Assigned in Sept. to the 153rd Depot Brigade, commanding Company 18, 5th Battalion, 153rd Depot Brigade. From June to Sept., 1919, on special duty in charge of Camp Dix Casual Detachment. Assigned in Sept., 1918, to Company 55, 15th Battalion, 153rd Depot Brigade. Discharged from the service as Captain Dec. 21, 1918.

Posted: 3 Dec 2011 1:55PM GMT
Surnames: Chapman
Thanks for that info. I have been trying to reconstruct my Grandfather, Raymond G. Chapman's WW1 record. I don't know if he went to Camp Devens in Massachusetts or to N.J. I don't think I'm going to get any help from the National Archives as I don't have his service number. None of his personal affects came to our side of the family following his death. I have his WW1 Draft Registration Card. And on his grave is Vet marker with his unit info. I know he was in the Veterans Hospital in Providence, RI for nearly his last half year of his life.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions