Search for content in message boards

Where Are The US Local Records????

Where Are The US Local Records????

Posted: 2 Dec 2008 7:01PM GMT
Classification: Query
When will Ancestry begin adding US local records instead of the garbage they are adding day after day that no one cares about? Where are the US records???

Re: Where Are The US Local Records????

Posted: 4 Dec 2008 4:16AM GMT
Didn't they just add a whole bunch of US city directories in the past few weeks? Genealogy Guys podcast mentioned that.

Posted: 4 Dec 2008 4:32AM GMT
There must not be anymore available. Oh well, it's a big country with a diverse background, someone has to ignore it because local economies may be making a buck off what Ancestry doesn't offer.

Posted: 4 Dec 2008 5:32AM GMT
US Local Records are usually in Local Repositories.

Remember, Ancestry doesn't have access to all local records due to the varying laws in different states. The restrictions on Tennesse records is absurd in the extreme.

There is also the fact that States use access to these records as a revenue source and are unlikely to relinquish that revenue.

Posted: 8 Dec 2008 3:13PM GMT
I hear you loud and clear but I have my two cents' worth to add on this issue as well.

AGHatchett3rd said:
"Remember, Ancestry doesn't have access to all local records due to the varying laws in different states. The restrictions on Tennesse records is absurd in the extreme."

Yes...this true. At the same time, perhaps a few dollars that Ancestry.com gets could go to lobbying some of these local and state governments to change some of these idiotic regulations. The usual excuse for these regulations is privacy issues or identity theft. I would think that if I had to resort to decades-old death certificates to commit fraud, I would be a pretty pathetic fraudster. Ancestry should do a lot more to get records, nough said.

AGHatchett3rd said:
"There is also the fact that States use access to these records as a revenue source and are unlikely to relinquish that revenue."

Indeed, true again. But I can get death certificates and other records from Ohio, Missouri, West Virginia, Arizona, Utah, Texas etc. without paying a dime. This suggests to me that there are records Ancestry could supply and do not make the effort to procure. As for states that use the documents for revenue, again I cite the above examples as freely accessible.

This is not even to mention the scores of books that are in public domain due to age and that do not appear here. Too, I think it would be more fair for Ancestry.com to state openly that "that's all folks" if they have no more to post. Of course, it is a business, and it would be detrimental to them to do so. Call me an idealist.

Posted: 9 Dec 2008 3:09PM GMT
For myself, I have decided it is best to quit checking for US Records anymore. Obviously, Ancestry.com has decided to abandon US Records in favor of French Canadian books. Of course, most of these books have nothing to do with Genealogy. We were promised more genealogy records last year but that certainly has not happened. Maybe Ancestry.com should work on fixing the data bases they have already posted rather than adding those books that have nothing to do with genealogy. It would also be nice if they would quit trying to tweak things and go back to giving us great search abilities. The Genealogy Network should also watch it's back because other web sites are sneaking up on them. It's just a matter of time I suspect before Familysearch has more actual genealogy content for free.

Posted: 9 Dec 2008 7:14PM GMT
Many of us have World subscriptions as we are also researching in other countries, not just in the US, which only has records back to a relatively recent time in history.

Posted: 10 Dec 2008 12:17AM GMT
I also have a World Subscription and would welcome actual records. However,what we have been seeing the last several months has very little to do with genealogy. It is just a jumble of books.

Posted: 10 Dec 2008 10:12AM GMT
Ah.... but remember-

[PEDANTIC MODE=ON]
Those books are of invaluable worth to "Family Historians" seeking to add flesh and muscle to the dry skeleton of mere genealogy!
[PEDANTIC MODE=OFF]

Posted: 18 Dec 2008 4:43AM GMT
Sorry, but try waiting for Australian records. You complain because you don't get new records WEEKLY!! We're lucky if we get a single new record every SIX MONTHS!

Cheers,
Michelle
per page

Find a board about a specific topic