Search for content in message boards

ABRAHAMS, Emily (b. ~1866,London) & dau. Minnie Emily Abrahams (b. 1887, Chelsea Workhouse)

ABRAHAMS, Emily (b. ~1866,London) & dau. Minnie Emily Abrahams (b. 1887, Chelsea Workhouse)

Posted: 4 Mar 2013 10:57PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Abrahams
I am trying to locate additional information on Emily ABRAHAMS, born abt. 1866 in London, England; as well as her daughter Minnie Emily ABRAHAMS, born Dec 1887 in Chelsea Workhouse. My source for these birth dates and locations are Chelsea Board of Guardians Register of Children (ref. CH.BG207/1) and Admission and Discharge Register of Chelsea Workhouse for Dec 1887 (ref. CH.BG188/17)
I look forward to exchanging information with anyone who may have anything to add/delete/change.
Regards,
Carol Gerlach (Ann Arbor, MI, USA)

Re: ABRAHAMS, Emily (b. ~1866,London) & dau. Minnie Emily Abrahams (b. 1887, Chelsea Workhouse)

Posted: 5 Mar 2013 9:26AM GMT
"Additional Information"??You have no tree to show what you already have.Another researcher has a public tree.You might try a general search.

Re: ABRAHAMS, Emily (b. ~1866,London) & dau. Minnie Emily Abrahams (b. 1887, Chelsea Workhouse)

Posted: 5 Mar 2013 3:36PM GMT
This post was deleted by the author on 6 Mar 2013 2:42AM GMT

Posted: 5 Mar 2013 4:02PM GMT
Thank you for your prompt reply.
In my message I posted all the information I have for Emily Abrahams and her daughter. I wasn't aware I needed to make my family tree available for this query as there is nothing relevant to this particular search.
Could you please be a bit more helpful in pointing me to the public tree you refer to?
Sincerely,
clambert

Posted: 5 Mar 2013 4:06PM GMT
Thank you Katherine for your helpful suggestions and noting that I am a relative beginner in the intricacies of searching for information and posting queries on this web site.
I will follow up on your suggested sources.
Sincerely,
clambert

Posted: 5 Mar 2013 4:38PM GMT
Are you saying that you haven't been able to find Emily or Minnie on any censuses,or deaths or marriages for them?

When you ask for 'additional info',we need to know what you already have so as not to duplicate what you've already found ;-)

I can't see either of them in 1891 ,did they emigrate?

Carol

Posted: 5 Mar 2013 4:46PM GMT
Edited: 5 Mar 2013 4:48PM GMT
I think I've found Minnie in 1911- as a servant at Gosfield Hall in Halstead Essex.With all these people!!!

Thomas Pensey Taylor 53
Louisa Ruth Lowe 66
Mary Florence Nightingale 43
Barnabas Sargent 60
Jane Medcalf 74
Harriet Mills 31
Lucy Maud Steel 30
Winifry May Fisher 30
Sarah Hodson 51
Elizabeth Botherway 20
Minnie Abrahams 23
May Elizabeth Johnshaw 20
Blanche Edith Tyrell 18
Irene Eleanor Osborne 17
Charles William Robinson 26
Ernest Edward Harper 21
William Kemp 65

Amd this is her birth- but she is provign very elusive otherwise.

Name: Minnie Abrahams
Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1887
Registration district: Chelsea
Inferred County: London
Volume: 1a
Page: 367

It's best to look for her yourself than rely on other peoples trees,so many of them are incorrect!

Posted: 5 Mar 2013 5:41PM GMT
Edited: 6 Mar 2013 7:24PM GMT
Try Poor Law Records for Chelsea Board of Guardians, many are on Ancestry
For example
"Names of Paupers under Examination"
Abrahams Emily
Admitted 4 Dec 1887
Action Taken - Order on Lambeth
Remarks - To Banstead Asylum

Theres a reception order (attached)
Doesn't sound good
Minnie might have been brought up/adopted by relatives, foster parents?
Attachments:

Posted: 5 Mar 2013 8:31PM GMT
Thanks to you and CarolColeman I am that much closer to solving the mystery of what happened to Emily.
My grandmother Minnie, told us she was born in the workhouse and adopted out. As soon as she was old enough she went into service as a scullery maid, and in her late 20s married Arthur Thrower and moved to Yorkshire where my grandfather worked for the Princess Royal as her gamekeeper at the Goldsboro house. They had 7 children, my mother being the second oldest. My mother is 93 and has always regreted she couldn't "find" Emily or what happened to her after giving birth to Minnie.
In spite of Minnie's awful start in life, and always having to scrimp and save, she became the most loving and giving person, a person "before her time". All her children succeeded, 2 of whom when on to higher learning.
Thanks again for taking the time to help me find Emily.
Carol.

Posted: 5 Mar 2013 10:49PM GMT
Oh Wow Jon that is an amazing document,I've never seen one of those before. So if Emily was taken to asylum in Devon in 1888 one might hope she'll still be there by 1891........nope!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic