Search for content in message boards

Help with 2 Words in Norweigan Cursive Parish Records

Help with 2 Words in Norweigan Cursive Parish Records

Posted: 30 Jul 2013 4:02PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello,

I'm trying to get some more information about the death at age 10 of my great-grand-uncle. In the birth attachment jpeg, can anyone tell me the Norweigan word and translation in the last column before the name "Bernt"? In the death attachment, I'd like the same information in the middle column for the word before the name "Jacob." At first, I thought it was another "drengebarn" but it looks different enough that I'm thinking it may be something else.

Thank you!
Phillip
Attachments:

Re: Help with 2 Words in Norweigan Cursive Parish Records

Posted: 30 Jul 2013 7:16PM GMT
The image on the left appears to be a birth record and word you are wondering about is "lodbruger." A small piece cut out of a complete page is very very difficult to interpret.

The image on the right appears to be a death record because it lists the subject's age as 10. I agree the word in that tiny snippet is "drengebarn."

Full page links with working zoom capabilities would be the best to offer --
When you've studied and used the instructions and been able to find a scanned page on the Digitalarkivet that you'd like to capture as a URL to share with someone else or save for your family history documentation - just copying the URL that your browser shows will NOT provide a working link for longer than about 1/2 an hour -- it only works very temporarily.

Working direct links to the scanned images on the Digitalarkivet can be copied and pasted from the desired page from a display option available. At the top of the scanned image page is an option labeled "Bildeinformasjon:" [Norwegian version]/"Image Information"[English version] which is by default set to "Ingen" [Norwegian version]/"None" [English version]. Change that and magic is available. Of the three options I like "Øverst" [Norwegian version]/"On top" [English version] because it puts the additional information across the top of the page and is usually easier for me to see.

The first line "Kildeinformasjon:" [Norwegian version]/"Source information" [English version] is a really nice summary of the source of the information and is wonderful to have for making detailed source citations, footnotes, etc.

The second line "Permanent sidelenke:" [Norwegian version]/"Permanent pagelink" [English version] is the best line to capture if you want to save the exact URL location or share the actual scanned image and the source information. It allows the full capabilities for zooming in and out to best view the image and informs the recipient of the exact location, book and other details to be able to find WHERE you found the information.

The third line "Permanent bildelenke:" [Norwegian version]/"Permanent imagelink" [English version] is the best used to print a copy of the image or to save a copy of the image in a jpg format computer file. This line does NOT also capture the source information and therefore is NOT the best line to copy to share online when requesting help or assistance in deciphering the image found.

Good information about translating the formats of Norwegian parish church records during various time periods, many of the basic terms used and understanding how to use the information should be studied at this web site -
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~norway/na20.html

Posted: 31 Jul 2013 3:17PM GMT
:-) Thank you for the help and the advice!

Posted: 31 Jul 2013 4:01PM GMT
Edited: 31 Jul 2013 4:26PM GMT
Surnames: Egeland, Abrahamsen
Jacob Andreas' birth/baptismal record from the klokkerbok. Entry #7::
Kildeinformasjon: Vest-Agder fylke, Å i Lyngdal, Klokkerbok nr. B 3 (1865-1878), Fødte og døpte 1866, side 11.
http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=9592&i...

Jacob Andreas with his parents in the 1865 Lyngdal, Vest-Agder census:
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/WebCens.exe?slag=visbas...
His father is a tenant farmer.

Posted: 31 Jul 2013 4:14PM GMT
Thank you so much! You also found a "Gurine" for me, who is a sister I didn't know existed.

Re: Jacob Andreas Berntsen, Lyngdal, Vest-Agder County

Posted: 31 Jul 2013 4:33PM GMT
I just edited my post to include Jacob's birth/baptismal record from the klokkerbok.

Re: More children of Bernt Abrahamsen and Anne Abramsdatter, Lyngdal, Vest-Agder County

Posted: 31 Jul 2013 5:03PM GMT
In addition to the children listed in the 1865 Norway census, here are more children born to Bernt and Anne Tonette:
Name: Reinert Berntsen
Event Date: 26 Apr 1868
Event Place: , LYNGDAL, VEST-AGDER, NORWAY
Birth Date: 24 Mar 1868

Name: Amalia Berntsen
Event Date: 10 Jul 1870
Birth Date: 08 May 1870

Name: Conrad Andreas Berntsen
Event Date: 03 Aug 1873
Birth Date: 03 May 1873

Daughter (no name):
Name: Berntsen
Birth Date: 07 Nov 1875
Birthplace: , LYNGDAL, VEST-AGDER, NORWAY
Death Date: 1875

A possible child:
Name: Fredrick Berntsen
Event Date: 21 Jun 1887
Death Date: 14 Jun 1887
Death Place: Lyngdal, Vest-Agder, Norway
Marital Status: Single
Father's Name: Bernt Abrahamsen

This appears to be your Bernt and Anne Tonette in the 1910 Lyngdal census:
http://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/ft/person/pf01036598001...

Posted: 31 Jul 2013 5:06PM GMT
That's interesting...I have been using http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?uid=36597&urnread_... and the scanned official version of the parish register has him as birth #8 in the 1866 year and the word I was having trouble with looks like Lovbruger. The one you found, above, is birth #7 and the word is clearly Lodbruger. Can you tell me how you got to that page? The menus/links I used starting from http://www.arkivverket.no/ only have one register (no copy) for those years and I don't know where the additional register is.

Thank you for all the help!

Posted: 31 Jul 2013 5:29PM GMT
Your first link didn't work. I get an error message.

Whenever possible, it's always best to check the klokkerbok against the ministeral record. Sometimes the handwriting is better!

I hope this link works:
http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_fylke=10&idx_k...

I went to:
Lyngdal / Å: 1865-1878, Klokkerbok

Hope this helps!

Posted: 31 Jul 2013 5:51PM GMT
You've been very helpful and I think I will only bother you once more ;-)

I see what I was doing differently. I used the drop-downs and selected "Lyngdal"...that list has no klokkerbok for those years. The Lyngdal/Å in the dropdown list is spelled Lynqdal (looks like a lower case Q and not a G), so I thought it was another area. Also, could you explain what the Å designates?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions