Search for content in message boards

Philadelphia Wards in 1860

Philadelphia Wards in 1860

Posted: 19 Oct 2012 4:12PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am in need of some help regarding the above topic. My great grandparents were living on 23rd and Locust in Philadelphia in 1860. I know that because I have the birth certificate for their daughter who was born on Sept 26 of that year. Could someone help me out with the ward number for that location? Their names were Phillip and Catherine Flynn and he was a laborer. They had another daughter there in 1861-2 named Mary but by the late 1860's they were back in Brooklyn New York. I have no clue as to why they would have moved to Philadelphia around 1859-1866 or so but can't find them in the 1860 census and thought I would search by wards. Thanks :)

Re: Philadelphia Wards in 1860

Posted: 20 Oct 2012 2:32AM GMT
South Ward.

Posted: 21 Oct 2012 4:33PM GMT
Thanks for the help.

Posted: 21 Oct 2012 4:57PM GMT
Edited: 21 Oct 2012 5:24PM GMT
Surnames: FLYNN
For the 1860 Census, that section of Philly is the Eighth (8th) Ward.

Here's a useful Philly site for past & present reference:

http://www.philageohistory.org/tiles/viewer/?SelectedLayers=...

Good luck! I just did a search of the 1860 Census, Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Philadelphia, no first name and FL?n* for the last name and exact only........no Philip or Catherine.

You might want to try using Keyword 'Ward 8' with say Philip or Catherine only. you might get lucky.

That area of Philly was well-to-do people with servants & domestics (Rittenhouse Square, St Patrick's parish).

Posted: 21 Oct 2012 11:16PM GMT
Thank you for the reply. I will try your suggestion. I am puzzled because they had no money to my knowledge and he was just a day laborer. When they moved back to Brooklyn, they lived in a section that was loaded with shanties...puzzling.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions