Search for content in message boards

Paytons from Kentucky

Paytons from Kentucky

Posted: 28 Mar 2008 7:05PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Payton
I am looking for informataion regarding the lineage of William O Payton born in Indiana in 1840 to parents from Kentucky. William married Mary Doan (Doane)from Indiana. Have had some difficulty locating his parents so any information would be greately appreciated.

Re: Paytons from Kentucky

Posted: 29 Mar 2008 5:34AM GMT
Surnames: Payton, Doan, Dono
Isn't your William O. Payton the 10 year old in the household of William and Isabel Payton in Helt township, Vermillion county, Indiana in 1850?

William Payton household, 1850 U. S. census, population schedule, Helt township, Vermillion County, Indiana, page 29, National Archives microfilm series M432, roll 177:
William Payton, 36, a cooper, b. Ky
Isabel ", 35, b. Ky.
Elizabeth ", 14, b. Ind.
William O. ", 10, b. Ind.
Alma ", 8, b. Ind.
Nancy ", 3, b. Ind.
Jessee ", 1, b. Ind.

In 1860:
William Payton household, 1860 U. S. census, population schedule, Helt township, Vermillion county, Indiana, page 77/171, National Archives microfilm series M653, roll 353:
William Payton, 48, farmer, b. Ky.
Isabel ", 39, b. Ky.
William O. ", 19, b. Ind.
Alma S. ", 17, b. Ind.
Nancy ", 11, b. Ind.
Jesse ", 9, b. Ind.

Mary Dono (sice) married Wm. Payton 5 Dec. 1861 in Vermillion County.

In 1870, listed next to William and Isabel:
Oron Payton household, 1870 U. S. census, population schedule, Helt township, Vermillion county, Indiana, page 68, National Archives Microfilm series M593, roll 365:
Payton, Oron, 29, day laborer, b. Ind.
", Mary, 29, keeping house, b. Ind.
", Armand, 8, b. Ind.
", Rutha B., 5, b. Ind.
", Sarah A., 3, b. Ind.
", William H., 1, b. Ind.

From 1880:
W. O. Payton household, 1880 U. S. census, population schedule, Clinton township, Vermillion county, Indiana, ED 194, SD 4, sheet 112C, National Archives microfilm series T9, roll 318:
Payton, W. O., 39, farmer, b. Ind., parents b. Ky.
", Mary, 39, b. Ind., parents b. NC
", Ruth B., 14, b. Ind.
", William, 11, b. Ind.
", Charly A., 7, b. Ind.
", Stephen B., 3, b. Ind.
", Simon F., 1, b. Ind.

Richard Payton
Denver

Posted: 29 Mar 2008 12:00PM GMT
Thanks for the info. Missed it the first time around. That has to be him. Thanks again.

Posted: 30 Mar 2008 1:05AM GMT
Surnames: Payton, Peyton, Yelverton
Hey Takkers: I missed this last night, because I searched for William O. Payton in my database; I didn't find him, so dove into the census records. Turns out I researched your family in the fall of 2006, but I have William O. as a Peyton in my database, so I missed the connection.

I am the adminstrator of the Payton/Peyton Surname Y DNA Project at www.worldfamilies.net. Our no. 1 goal currently is to find a Peyton (or Payton) male from the family of Major Robert Peyton, who arrived in Virginia in 1663. Major Robert Peyton was the grandson of Sir Edward Peyton, 2nd Baronet of Isleham. Turns out your William O. Payton is probably of this family. I have a documented report for your family and the Paytons of Vermillion and Vigo Counties in Indiana (it starts with the Norman family which gave rise to the Peytons of Isleham, Cambridgeshire). I will be happy to share that report with you if you want to send me an e-mail address. I am at richardmpayton@comcast.net.

From Sir John Peyton, 1st Baronet:

1. Sir John Peyton, 1st Baronet (1611), 1560-1616, and Alice Osborne, dau. of Edward Osborne, Lord Mayor of London
2. Sir Edward Peyton, 2nd Baronet of Isleham, 1578-1656, and Jane Calthorp
3. Thomas A. Peyton, 1616-1683, and Elizabeth Yelverton
4. Major Robert Peyton, ca. 1640-1686 (or 1694?), immigrant 1663, and Mrs. Mary Keeble
5. Robert Peyton, ca. 1680-bef. 1746, and Mary Long
6. William Peyton, 1718-1792, and Sarah West Patterson
7. Stephen Peyton, 1756-1833 (NC to Nicholas Co., Kentucky), and Mary Williams
8. William Peyton, 1804-? and Isabella Shannon, m. Union Co., Indiana 5 May 1835
9. William O. Peyton, b. 1841, m. Mary Down 5 Dec. 1861 (surname Down from the transcription of son Charles H. Payton's marriage record, on-line at ancestry.com)

If you are in touch with any of your Payton male relatives, we would love to have them join the DNA project. This is important enough to the project that I will sponsor the test; all we need is a willing donor. There are many Payton men in Vigo County (Terre Haute) Indiana and surrounding counties who are from this family. If you know one, please help me get in touch (that goes for anyone reading this).

Richard Payton, richardmpayton@comcast.net
Payton/Peyton Surname Y DNA Project
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions