Search for content in message boards

Cornelius Stewart

Cornelius Stewart

Posted: 21 Apr 2000 7:34PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 14 May 2013 2:11AM GMT
My husband's family believes that their ancestors also came from Scotland. The story is that sometime in the early 1800's, three brothers came to the US from Scotland. My husband's family goes back to the brother named Cornelius Stewart. The other two brothers supposedly went back to Scotland. Early family members thought that the brothers came from "Waveland" Scotland, however, I have not been able to find a town in Scotland that matches that name. We have been unable to trace Cornelius past Lumpkin County, Georgia. He married a Cherokee Indian named Mariah Jordan. Do you have any relatives with names like Cornelius, Leander, Marge Mannon, or Green Stewart?

re: Cornelius Stewart

Posted: 5 Mar 2001 1:56PM GMT
Edited: 14 May 2013 2:11AM GMT
Dear Ms. Stewart,
I suspect we are after the same fellow:
Cornelius Stewart, b. before 1805,
married "Catherine" (unconfirmed info.)
His daughter Harriett H. Stewart was b. 15 July, 1820, died 25 May 1872 in Sevier County, AR. She married David Stephen Sanders b. 1817, d. 1902. - And their grandson married a woman who was probably part Cherokee.
If anyone can provide me with more documentation on the Stewarts, such as bible records, census, land ownership, etc., I may be able to assist with the related families of Sanders, Weems, Liddell, etc.

Posted: 6 Jun 2001 8:33PM GMT
Edited: 14 May 2013 2:12AM GMT
Supposedly, the parents of my Adaline Stewart, born ca 1812 in MO, are Cornelius Stewart & Mary Catherine Poston. Sounds like your Harriet may be a sister to my Adaline who married Nathaniel Moore in Hempstead Co, AR ca 1829. Their first son, Cornelius "Collins" Benton Moore was born ca 1830 in Howard Co (now Sevier Co) AR.

Posted: 8 Jun 2001 1:51PM GMT
Edited: 14 May 2013 2:12AM GMT
Thank you, this looks like a solid lead, and I'll try to run it down in the next few weeks. Perhaps someone can give us a hint about what cemetary these folks may be buried in. Of course, I'd also like to hear speculations on Cornelius' family and where they came from.
I found another Scots line I am working on, the Weems, heavily represented in Sevier County records, and I believe there are Weems cemetary records online.

Cornelius Stewart

Posted: 10 Jun 2001 6:39AM GMT
Edited: 1 Jun 2002 4:42AM GMT
Speculation is that Cornelius & Adaline Stewart are buried in Howard Co. near Paraclifta, former County seat. Nathaniel Moore & Adaline Stewart Moore are probably buried in Old Union Cemetery just west of their homestead in Umpire though no headstones have been found. This from Sid Moore with whom I correspond via e-mail.

Re: Cornelius Stewart

Posted: 27 Jun 2001 6:43AM GMT
Edited: 14 May 2013 2:14AM GMT
Surnames: Stewart
I have a Corneliaus Stewart in Campbell Co., GA (later became Fulton Co. GA). Also, there was ... I believe a Corneliaus Stewart in Rome, GA. Both during the time frames you listed. I am related to the first Corneliaus listed here.

Posted: 27 Jun 2001 12:51PM GMT
Edited: 14 May 2013 2:14AM GMT
Do you have any information on the children of either of these men and also, do you know where Cornelius lived before coming to Georgia.

Thanks, Linda Stewart

Matilda C. Stewart b abt 1831

Posted: 29 Jun 2001 4:29AM GMT
Edited: 14 May 2013 2:15AM GMT
Well, I do not know where the one that lived around Rome, GA came from.

The Campbell Co., GA was born in SC abt 1800

Wife: Elizabeth (born abt 1809)

Children:
Matilda C. Stewart b abt 1831
Emily J. Stewart b abt 1834
Luisa F. J. Stewart b abt 1837
James M. Stewart b abt 1844
John T. Stewart b abt 1844
Nancy J. Stewart b abt 1844
Mary J. Stewart b abt 1848

Posted: 3 Jul 2001 8:16PM GMT
Classification: Lookup
The Cornelius Stewart we are looking for was married to a Mariah (Not sure of spelling) Jordan (Also not sure of spelling).
Your Cornelius Stewart was married to a different lady and the children do not match. Marge Mannon (a boy) Green Strewart, Doc Stewart, were some of the children.

Posted: 5 May 2013 6:54PM GMT
Surnames: Stewart, Poston
I am helping a friend on some DAR Applications. We have found documents showing Cornelius Stewart purchasing land in MO and in AR. It gives the Twp, Section and Range. I will be happy to send copies. We are showing him born ca. 1785 in TN, possibly Davidson Cty. We do not have a death date for him but show his son, Jeremiah and his widow, Catherine (Mary Catherine Poston) selling some of Cornelius' land in what looks like 1839 or 1859 in Sevier Cty. AR. We are trying to find documentation on his daughter, Harriett who was born in MO in St. Francois Cty on 15-JUL-1820. She marries David Sanders and they are both buried with stones in AR.
Dalena Nichols
dalenajn@chouteautel.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions