Search for content in message boards

Stewarts of Killeshandra, or Cavan County 1700s'/1800s'

Stewarts of Killeshandra, or Cavan County 1700s'/1800s'

Ellen Smith (View posts)
Posted: 15 Apr 2002 3:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Stewart
My Great, Great, Great, Great, Great, Grandfather was William Stewart. I'm told he was born in Killeshandra, Cavan County in 1775. In 1800, he married Anne(?) in Cavan County. William & Anne had the following children; Elizabeth 1813; Jean 1802; Margaret 1806; George 1819; W.M. 1816; Anne 1809; & John 1821. John is my Family Connection. He (supposedly) left Ireland in 1833, by running away from home after having broken a Vase. He (supposedly) stowed away aboard a Ship & came to America, then stayed with an Uncle (Joseph Stewart) in New York for a while. He later joined the War, married Jane Crangle & settled in the Southwestern part of Tennessee. Any information about the Cavan County Stewarts, especially Williams' family, would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Stewarts of Killeshandra, or Cavan County 1700s'/1800s'

Posted: 4 Jan 2011 4:54AM GMT
Hi Ellen

I have only recently discovered that I am also descended from a William Stewart who married a Hannah Elliott. The family was from Killeshandra, Cavan.

I'd love to chat about possible mutual ancestors and share what I have with you.

Dale

Posted: 17 Mar 2012 4:24AM GMT
Hi Dale..I haven't been on here in a while and I just saw your Post..Thank you for replying..I had heard something about Sisters named Hannah and Anna, but not sure about that..I hit a Road Block with William Stewart because of everyone being named the same back then..I would like to share info if at all possible and look forward to hearing from you again..
Ellen

Posted: 18 Mar 2012 7:49AM GMT
Hi Ellen

Sure, it will be good to chat with you. I'll send a private message in a moment with my email address.

Dale

Posted: 12 Apr 2013 3:35PM GMT
Hello Ellen Smith. Have we spoken before? Are you in Arkansas? This is my family. John is my link. He and Jane are my 2X great grandparents. Their daughter Catherine who married James Kemp is my ggrandmother.
I am making a trip to Ireland this summer and will be going to Killeshandra. I am trying to find any info I can on him before I go. I got the story from Mary Stewart in Crump.
You can find the entire story that Mary gave me on my family tree "Kemp Higgins Family tree".
I would love to hear from you and share any information that I have.
You cam email me at mharcrow@pdq.net

Posted: 7 May 2013 5:35PM GMT
Hi Ellen, Same line. Would like to see if there are any decendants still living in Ireland. Making a trip there over the summer and would love to learn more from that side of the pond.
Marie

Posted: 3 Feb 2014 7:16PM GMT
Hello Stewarts of County Cavan, Killeshandra. I am headed over to Ireland the end of March.
I have not been able to find anything there even with researchers assisting. IF ANYONE has any information to share about the family that John left behind please let me know. I would love to atleast visit somewhere that I know would have been familiar to our ancestor. Anymore information on his family would be wonderful.
Marie

Posted: 26 Feb 2014 7:22PM GMT
Does anyone know what religion the Crangle's or Stewart's were? I have spoken with researchers and I will need to go to the parish records. Would make the search alot easier if I knew what religion they were.

Posted: 28 Feb 2014 8:40AM GMT
Chances are pretty good that the Stewarts at least were Presbyterians, or at least Protestants, ie Church of Ireland, but I don't know about the Crangles. If they intermarried, they probably are too. Happily, those records are generally better than the Catholic ones.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions