Search for content in message boards

LAWSON Family Cemetery

LAWSON Family Cemetery

Posted: 29 Sep 2012 9:44PM GMT
Classification: Query
On page 86 of the HAWKINS COUNTY, TENNESSEE Cemetery Book, Volume# 2, There is a LAWSON Cemetery and in it approximately 17 graves. One is for a Rufus LAWSON, Jr. (1898-1966). Is there "anyone" at all near Eidson or Rogersville that would do me a big favor and locate this cemetery? I have tried following the directions given in the cemetery book and first of all I cannot find the Grassy Springs Road they refer to. Doesn't show on any map. Maybe it's called something else now? It says to "turn off Grassy Springs Road onto Pumpkin Valley Road West and go 1.2 miles, then turn left and the cemetery is on the left up on a hill"...I'd like to see if anyone lives close to this area and can help me. I "think" it may be within a mile or so of Cobb's Chapel Church (up in that area). I was hoping someone could go to the cemetery and then look at their cell phone for GPS co-ordinates (latitude and longitude)and copy them down for me. It would give those on a cell phone when you're t the cemetery. Is there anyone out there willing to help? Thanks so much.
Sam Lawson

Re: LAWSON Family Cemetery

Posted: 7 Oct 2012 3:30PM GMT
Hi Sam. I am Susan Lawson Brown. I am the daughter of William S Lawson. Granddaughter of William C and Orleanea Ferrell Lawson. I am going to try to go to Heritage Days next weekend in Rogersville. If I can, I will try to help you out with this

Posted: 7 Oct 2012 3:58PM GMT
Edited: 7 Oct 2012 3:59PM GMT
Hi, Susan-

I have the directions! They are:

Take Hwy 66 from Rogersville across Clinch Mountain when you come to Richardson Creek, look for Byrd Creek Road , turn right off hwy 66 on Byrd Creek Road, after you pass Pond Hill Church on left, look for and turn right on Lester Cope Road, Lawson Cemetery is on a hill about 500 ft up Lester Cope road. if you miss the Lester Cope Road you will come to Cobb's Chapel on left, turn around and go back, you have gone to far. This cemetery is located closest to a little town called Murrelltown, and the closest Post Office being at Eidson, on hwy 70.

Posted: 7 Oct 2012 4:08PM GMT
Edited: 7 Oct 2012 4:11PM GMT
Hi, again, Susan-

Now, this is interesting!

I have a William S. LAWSON, born 30 December, 1870 and died 9 November, 1948, in my tree but I have him married to a Valeria LAWSON, a daughter of Curren LAWSON and Mary MANIS. I have the two of them, William S. and Valeria, having these children: Barnett LAWSON, Grant John LAWSON, Lee Greenlee LAWSON, and a daughter named Francis LAWSON. I have that William S. LAWSON was a son of old Ambrose LAWSON and Amanda Jane MURRELL.

Now, I do also have a William C. LAWSON. He was born ca 1860 in Kentucky, to a Burrell LAWSON and Eliza J. WILDER.

Susan, are we talking about different people here?

Was your Orlena FERRELL, born about 1854, a daughter of old John and Catherine FERRELL?

Thank you,
Sam Lawson

Posted: 7 Oct 2012 4:44PM GMT
I think we are Sam. My grandfather, William Clemmons Lawson, was born 1865 in Hawkins Co., Tn. According to his death certificate his parents were Russell Lawson and Webby Reasor(Manis?). He married Orleanea Ferrell, daughter of Jackson Ferrell and Margaret Mary Mabe.

Posted: 7 Oct 2012 4:47PM GMT
Thanks for the directions. If I don't make it next weekend I will try to make it soon. I have friends from That area who can hopefully help me find the way!

Posted: 7 Oct 2012 5:01PM GMT
I DO have him!

Yes, I have your William Clemmons LAWSON listed in my tree! And, I have him marrying the daughter of William Russell LAWSON and Webby MANIS. We have a match!

Sam

Posted: 7 Oct 2012 6:12PM GMT
Great! Any info on Russell? I am building a family tree for my son. Being the youngest of eleven, I'm afraid I don't have much family history available to me.

Posted: 7 Oct 2012 8:01PM GMT
Edited: 7 Oct 2012 8:07PM GMT
William Russell LAWSON...I have him being born in April, 1828, and dying after December, 1907. He was the son of Peter LAWSON ans Susan BLOOMER. I have William Russell LAWSON marrying to Webby MANIS between 1850 and 1852, in Hawkins Co., Tenn. Webby MANIS was the daughter of Jesse MANIS and Alice "Alsey" LAWSON. William Russell LAWSON also married to a Ludema MANIS on 4 September, 1872, in Hawkins Co., Tenn. Also married to a Mary UNKNOWN. Left a Will in Hawkins Co., Tenn. dated December, 1907. I have five sons born to him and Webby MANIS: James Eldridge LAWSON, Abijah LAWSON, Alum LAWSON, William C. LAWSON, and Harmon LAWSON. I also have a photo of William Russell LAWSON and Webby together.

Posted: 7 Oct 2012 8:11PM GMT
Edited: 7 Oct 2012 8:12PM GMT
If you do get to this LAWSON Family Cemetery near Murrelltown, may I ask you to get photos of the tombstones for John LAWSON, Cora lee LAWSON, Rufus LAWSON, Jr. (1898-1966), Elgia LAWSON, Mattie LAWSON Quillen, and Clinton LAWSON? Thank you
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions