Search for content in message boards

Family Tree Maker ----- File Size

Family Tree Maker ----- File Size

Posted: 19 Jun 2013 8:53AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Fountain, Morang, Residents of Deer Island, New Brunswick.
My Family Tree Maker File 12 is up to date. My File is over 171,000+ KB and 27,800+ people and I am continually having problems. I also had my laptop checked out as I have 16 G of Ram loaded and the problem is NOT the PC but the software. I have been back and forth with CS without any resolution. Any looking for any help I can get. I hate to split the file due to cross marriages between the lines and the fact I would lose anyone NOT in the direct line. Are any others still encountering this problem. I found a posting in 2009 that were.

Re: Family Tree Maker ----- File Size

Posted: 19 Jun 2013 4:14PM GMT
Could you be more specific as to the problem you encounter?
My file size is larger and I have less RAM in my computer. While I have had various problems in the past they are pretty well known if you search this forum and managable to a great extent.

Posted: 19 Jun 2013 4:29PM GMT
mholtzapfel

There are many many postings on this forum dealing with the issues you are raising

I have about 65,000 people my data base and approximately 450,000 data fields and suffer highly from this

Some of the problems include:

First time load for the day is very slow
Memory leakage causes system to crash if you are not careful
I have to be very careful about loading new data cause the system can't keep up with my keystrokes and I use just two fingers for typing
System crashes so much I have to restart my computer to clear it out
Periodically have to clear out temp files cause they build up so fast especially when searching
And it goes on and on

Hopefully with FTM 2014 the development group will fix the problem, but I don't have high hopes since it has existed for a number of years

PS using windows XP with 4 GB Ram and 1TM hard disk and I have no problems with any other software I run - they work just fine

PPS - Suggestion

Users need to continue informing Program Developers of this problem

AND

I think it would be very helpful if users with large data bases would participate in the FTM 2014 Beta Test and thouroughly wring out FTM 2012 for/on this issue

Posted: 20 Jun 2013 3:22PM GMT
Oh you are so right!!! I have used FTM for about 20 years and am really get fed up with the bugs in the system. The programers seem to be more set on adding new enchancements than fixing existing problem. I was part of the beta test for 12 but didn't experience so many problems but then my file size was not so huge. One of the problems is the media that is stored in the software that takes us a lot of room. It would be good if we had the option to choose to dwld the media or not. Have you ever reviewed the media stored in the software? I know I haven't. If I need to review a source again, I do so online. What do you think?
Margie

Posted: 20 Jun 2013 3:31PM GMT
The types of problems I have are : 1. Software not responding; 2. Program stops working; 3. Software crashes for no reason; 4. Out of memory error; 4. Adding data and all the sources XXXXX listed turn red.
I have been to Microsoft and HP to resolve the issues. I have 16 G Ram. After an examination of my laptop by HP they advised my Laptop was fine and the issue is the file size limitation of the software. So where do I go from here. One thing increasing the size of the file is the media dwld fro Ancestry with the Source references. I am going to explore that issue. Hope this answers you query.
Margie

Posted: 20 Jun 2013 3:42PM GMT
If you actually never need to look at the media stored in your family tree maker media file, you could use a file conversion program to reduce the size of the images. Irfanview, which is free, will do batch conversions, and you can set it to replace the files. As always, backup before playing with your file/s.

Posted: 20 Jun 2013 4:01PM GMT
MHOLTZAPFEL COMMENT

"One of the problems is the media that is stored in the software that takes us a lot of room. It would be good if we had the option to choose to dwld the media or not. Have you ever reviewed the media stored in the software? I know I haven't. If I need to review a source again, I do so online. What do you think?"

I do not have any media stored on/in FTM 2012. All My media are stored in a separate microsoft windows file. I have done this on purpose so as not to bog down FTM 2012 [As an aside I have never stored my media within the software/data base. When I had FTW 2006 v16 I kept my media outside of FTW because I didn't want to bog FTW down and I was awaiting the update to FTW and hoping I would be able to load my media within the system when they released FTM 2008 Needless to say FTW 2008 was a step backward and consequently I have never included my media in the system]

All of the above, at least to me, indicates it is not the media which is slowing the system down, crashing, etc.[PS I dont use synch and I don't have my data loaded on line, so at least for me, these features are not what is causing my system to be slow, crash etc]

I am almost at my wits end on this, but still hoping some improvement will be made on FTM 2014 ----------which is one reason I am hoping that users with large files will participate in the BETA.

A lot of large file users have been complaining about this for a long time, so I think/hope they should/would take advantage of the BETA offer and thoroughly test the FTM 2014 system

Posted: 20 Jun 2013 11:29PM GMT
People with large databases have worked with the 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012 Beta projects. Unfortunately, the developers have ignored the issues raised during the beta process.

Regards,

Posted: 21 Jun 2013 12:55AM GMT
I do hope you mean version 2012 and NOT "12", as 12 is older than you may think. Current 2012 version is 20.0.0.723

It does not matter that you have more than 4 Gigs of RAM. FTM 2012 is a 32 bit program and will use ONLY about 3.5 gigs of RAM, and the swap file of the OS.

The extra RAM can be accessed only if the program has been written to do as such, that is where the 64 bit "Programs" come in along with the 64 bit OS.

Since you are running a 64 bit OS, I assume that your dive is using NTFS. If not then that may be you problem.

What drive is you FTM data file on and how large is the drive?
How much empty space is there on this drive?

Posted: 21 Jun 2013 3:17PM GMT
How well I know. I did find a way to reduce the size of my file but I am not happy with it. You can delete the media but it leaves a place holder with an error message that the file cannot be found. But when you look at the amount of space each jpeg. media file takes up it might be worth it. I have almost 10,000 media files. reducing the media files by have lowered the file size by 100,000 kb. Wonder if backing up a file without the media, then restoring the file from that backup would do to the file size and place holders? HMMMMMMMM. Margie
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions